By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii-U: No "system based" voice chat

lilbroex said:
kitler53 said:
lilbroex said:
So the final verdict. The only people who care about this news are the people who never liked Nintendo and never planned to get a Wii U to begin with. The people who were planning the get one weren't even expecting this feature to exist in the first place.

Journalists just skipped right over the fact that it has voice chat capability and went straight into the negative things they could find around it.

so i read a lot of posts about out CoD will be soo much better on wii U because you can have one person on the gamepad and one on the TV.    ..but now we find out that the guy not on the gamepad can't have voice chat.  ..not sure how much online multiplayer you've played but voice chat is sort of critical to the experiance.  if the second guy can't be on voice the 2 player option is fairly gimped.

..and wii had voice chat capability.  having voice chat capability in of itself isn't impressive as it became standard about 5-6 years ago when  both sony and nintedo followed MS's lead.  but nintendo promised a roboust online network for the wii U and cross game chat is something xbl has already done for years so it's a bit conerning that nintendo isn't meeting the established baseline.

but hey, you just skipped right over the legiment critiques and went straight pretending that nintendo is god. 

I hated voice chat in COD.  I wish they had an option to have it turned off by default because most of it is just 12 years olds using racial slurs and profranity.

I played COD my PS3 and stayed number 1 in th ematch without ever hooking up a mic.

Who says you need to play with random people?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
kitler53 said:
lilbroex said:
So the final verdict. The only people who care about this news are the people who never liked Nintendo and never planned to get a Wii U to begin with. The people who were planning the get one weren't even expecting this feature to exist in the first place.

Journalists just skipped right over the fact that it has voice chat capability and went straight into the negative things they could find around it.

so i read a lot of posts about out CoD will be soo much better on wii U because you can have one person on the gamepad and one on the TV.    ..but now we find out that the guy not on the gamepad can't have voice chat.  ..not sure how much online multiplayer you've played but voice chat is sort of critical to the experiance.  if the second guy can't be on voice the 2 player option is fairly gimped.

..and wii had voice chat capability.  having voice chat capability in of itself isn't impressive as it became standard about 5-6 years ago when  both sony and nintedo followed MS's lead.  but nintendo promised a roboust online network for the wii U and cross game chat is something xbl has already done for years so it's a bit conerning that nintendo isn't meeting the established baseline.

but hey, you just skipped right over the legiment critiques and went straight pretending that nintendo is god. 

I hated voice chat in COD.  I wish they had an option to have it turned off by default because most of it is just 12 years olds using racial slurs and profranity.

I played COD my PS3 and stayed number 1 in th ematch without ever hooking up a mic.

yeahhhhhh ok. So you need to be playing against random people and you have issues cuz you personally find an experience annoying. God forbid if millions others want it

>_> the first line in the OP shouldn't have been changed..it was spot on

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

pokoko said:
Mr Khan said:
I still never understood what was so important about this feature, tbh. It's similar to Achievements. People get in these screaming fits about how essential it is to the gaming experience, but i just don't see it.

While cross-game chat is a non-issue for me, and I couldn't care less if a system has it or not, I do understand that some people like to chat with friends on their gaming console.  I don't really get it, but I accept it.

Achievements and gamer score, on the other hand, are beyond me.   I agree with you there.

Honestly i'm fine with just a unified friends list that tells you when they're online, what they're playing, and allows you to potentially drop in to their match based on whether they're in a public match or a private one (if slots are available).

And allows you to friend agreeable randoms. That's really all.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

kivi95 said:

But you do know that you don't need to play with random people?No?

You don't "need" to play it at all, but the mic thing was common sense. I had no idea that there were actually people who thought the pro controller was going to have a mic. Its the same contorller that it was on the Wii. This is almost as ludicrous as when people were shocked that Rue was black in the hunger games.

If I have a person playing with me, then they will be right there to talk to. If I'm playing online,  then why would I need more than one Upad? People are trying to turn this into a larger issue than it is and I don't understand it.

The only time I, and probably most people, play games online is when there is no one around to play with in my room. I can think of few splitscreen online multiplayer games (GOW, L4D) and wouldn't one mic be enough for them? Not that the Wii U is getting any games like that in first place.

Maybe I'm crazy but what's the benefit to chat with someone you're not in the same game with?

Around the Network
vaio said:
Hynad said:
sethnintendo said:

You should change the beginning of the op (like eliminate it).  Others might even report it. Just trying to give you a heads up...

Awww please.  The guy calls me (wrongly so) a hater of Nintendo in just about every single reply he addresses to me. Now, if I can't poke some fun in return...

Allthough it´s good you posted this article but you aint fooling anyone with the wrongly part. you and ktler are well known haters so spare us the bullshit.

Oh really now? Where do you see all this hate I'm supposedly spreading?

What a weird decision in 2012.

A missing feature? I see firmware updates in the future.

Edit: Oh yeah. Forgot about the whole "protect the children" angle.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

superchunk said:
Maybe I'm crazy but what's the benefit to chat with someone you're not in the same game with?

Have you never been on Skype with someone while you're playing different games on Steam?  Or even just sent messages to someone who's in a different game to you on PSN/XBL/PC?

I suppose the premise is that many people keep in touch across media such as games nowardays.  As much as I'd love to continue couch gaming with the friends I grew up with; lives move on, people move off to University or new jobs elsewhere.  Gaming habits don't change though, and being able to keep in touch through games is a good idea, in my opinion.  If you're limited to only talking to each other when you're both in the same game, it's a bit of a drawback if one of you wants to play FIFA and the other wants to play LittleBigPlanet.  I know this is a problem I often come across on PS3.  We send messages, sure, but it's clunky and nowhere near as fun as simply talking to each other.

At least, that's my take on it.  PS3 doesn't have cross-game chat and I 'get by' without it, but I sure would prefer to have it given the option (which isn't an option on PS3 due to RAM or whatever).

crissindahouse said:
NightDragon83 said:
Let's be honest here for a minute, folks. We all know how PSN and especially XBL can at times deteriorate into high-pitched scream fests and contests to see who can lob the most 4 letter words or racial slurs at others, especially during popular multiplayer games like Halo and COD for instance, right?

OK... now imagine playing a game like COD on the Wii U with voice chat available right out of the box via the Gamepad or a packed-in mic so the vast majority of Nintendo's primary audience has access to it. *shudders*

Trust me, you'll be glad Nintendo decided to go this route.

hmm ok and why is it so hard to implemet a function to disable voice chat or have a voice-chat volume control from 0-10 or something? its not as if you have to listen to those people, disable voice chat and you don't have to use voice chat and don't have to listen to people using it.

i mean, do you really hear people screaming even if you don't have to? that makes no sense to me.

every complaint about those screaming people you have to listen to was always unjustified, i never understood why people complain about something they don't have to agonize as long as they don't want to listen to others and have one idiot under them but that is another problem where you simply have to mute that single guy and that would be the same problem on wii u then.

Nintendo has a strong stake in the kids/family market though. So something like voice chat ... it wasn't really unpredictable that they were going to limit the way it can be used.

The system could have 10GB dedicated to the OS and it wouldn't matter. It's a matter of principal to Nintendo (not saying I personally agree with it).