S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Insecurity is a cornerstone of fanboyism. If you weren't insecure, you wouldn't feel the need to aggressively defend a platform and put down others.

Not true, it's called personal preference. You believe another product on its own delivers a superior product. For some it could be any of the three. The insecurity of fanboyism is wanting what the other person has that you don't have (exclusives), or in the insecurity in your value of what SHOULD be "fun" (public perception). The issue of Nintendo is they are considered the Disney of the gaming industry and if you asked the average person who they would buy a Nintendo product for they would say their wife or child where as on the purchasing scheme the competitors are dominated by males above the teenage age.  

I'm not talking about personal preference, I'm talking about reactions like the OP's "gay, get a PS3." And "Lolz only babiez play on teh Wee!1" Mature, secure individuals don't behave like  that.

Oh my friend, there is an insecurity which drives preference and that creates something called bias. Thats because they are some  people who have given up their childhood things or don't have a family which tends to turn the family switch back on in the brain (generally in males). Would you go to Disney World without a child ? Just asking. Tell me would you like to go to Universal Studios or Disney World? (Seriously, answer it) After you reach a certain age most people either grow out of videogames or attach themselves to the more adult friendly content, much like TV Shows or movies. This is the run-off audience Microsoft and Sony alluded to when they spoke poorly of the Wii's hold on the core gamer, basically calling the Wii the "beginners system". Am I making any sense?

Not really into Disney, even as a kid I wasn't, but just this weekend I went to an amusement park without a child. I don't see the point of giving up fun things just because I'm reached a certain age, and I'm not insecure enough to be worried about "what will people think of me?"

I did not bring up just any amusement park, but brought up Disney because they market themselves with similar themes to Nintendo, which endears them mostly to women and children in style and substance. You will generally find men in Universal Studios. Its not insecurity in what people think others think of them, its actually what they think about themselves. As I said when people grow up most of them turn the child or gaming switch off. For most adults who play Nintendo products it invites the inner child, both in substance and color pallet and surveys find that children take to Nintendos offerings better than the competitors. Thats because they are created to and there is no shame in it. Liking Nintendo is inviting your inner child, and there are gamers who refuse to let that inner child back out. This is the bias I speak of.

I'd still argue that the primary motivator behind comments like "Wii is gay" is insecurity; the need to justify one's (differing) console of choice so they feel like they made a good decision when purchasing it, the fear of being seen as "gay/kiddie/etc" themselves if they were open to it.

As I said the only insecurity in it is how they view themselves and whats holding themselves down to what they SHOULD be playing. This is the bias. The age bias is Nintendos greatest achillies heel. Some people dont want to play Nintendo because of their perception of themselves, but some just genuinely feel like they've outgrown it. As I said, Microsoft and Sony (a couple years ago) alluded to the situation that Nintendo might be more casual and child friendly than them but eventually most of those gamers will come to them when they "graduate". 

Insecurity is still insecurity, and I'd say a lot of their insecurity also comes from "what will people think of me? I won't be cool!"

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Insecurity is a cornerstone of fanboyism. If you weren't insecure, you wouldn't feel the need to aggressively defend a platform and put down others.

Not true, it's called personal preference. You believe another product on its own delivers a superior product. For some it could be any of the three. The insecurity of fanboyism is wanting what the other person has that you don't have (exclusives), or in the insecurity in your value of what SHOULD be "fun" (public perception). The issue of Nintendo is they are considered the Disney of the gaming industry and if you asked the average person who they would buy a Nintendo product for they would say their wife or child where as on the purchasing scheme the competitors are dominated by males above the teenage age.  

I'm not talking about personal preference, I'm talking about reactions like the OP's "gay, get a PS3." And "Lolz only babiez play on teh Wee!1" Mature, secure individuals don't behave like  that.

Oh my friend, there is an insecurity which drives preference and that creates something called bias. Thats because they are some  people who have given up their childhood things or don't have a family which tends to turn the family switch back on in the brain (generally in males). Would you go to Disney World without a child ? Just asking. Tell me would you like to go to Universal Studios or Disney World? (Seriously, answer it) After you reach a certain age most people either grow out of videogames or attach themselves to the more adult friendly content, much like TV Shows or movies. This is the run-off audience Microsoft and Sony alluded to when they spoke poorly of the Wii's hold on the core gamer, basically calling the Wii the "beginners system". Am I making any sense?

Not really into Disney, even as a kid I wasn't, but just this weekend I went to an amusement park without a child. I don't see the point of giving up fun things just because I'm reached a certain age, and I'm not insecure enough to be worried about "what will people think of me?"

I did not bring up just any amusement park, but brought up Disney because they market themselves with similar themes to Nintendo, which endears them mostly to women and children in style and substance. You will generally find men in Universal Studios. Its not insecurity in what people think others think of them, its actually what they think about themselves. As I said when people grow up most of them turn the child or gaming switch off. For most adults who play Nintendo products it invites the inner child, both in substance and color pallet and surveys find that children take to Nintendos offerings better than the competitors. Thats because they are created to and there is no shame in it. Liking Nintendo is inviting your inner child, and there are gamers who refuse to let that inner child back out. This is the bias I speak of.

I'd still argue that the primary motivator behind comments like "Wii is gay" is insecurity; the need to justify one's (differing) console of choice so they feel like they made a good decision when purchasing it, the fear of being seen as "gay/kiddie/etc" themselves if they were open to it.

As I said the only insecurity in it is how they view themselves and whats holding themselves down to what they SHOULD be playing. This is the bias. The age bias is Nintendos greatest achillies heel. Some people dont want to play Nintendo because of their perception of themselves, but some just genuinely feel like they've outgrown it. As I said, Microsoft and Sony (a couple years ago) alluded to the situation that Nintendo might be more casual and child friendly than them but eventually most of those gamers will come to them when they "graduate". 

Insecurity is still insecurity, and I'd say a lot of their insecurity also comes from "what will people think of me? I won't be cool!"

.......That doesn't make sense. 

Anyway, I just asked my dormmate what why he refuses to buy Nintendo products and he only plays PC. He said he used to buy Nintendo up until the Gamecube and has seen nothing out of Nintendo that he wants. He also attributes his reasoning to lack of new IP's. After that he went back to playing Disohonored.

Wouldn't you say thats a valid reason why he quit? New IP's are his issue. Hes a gamer and he didnt even bring up any age barriers, because he plays mostly anything.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

curl-6 said:

Anyway, I just asked my dormmate what why he refuses to buy Nintendo products and he only plays PC. He said he used to buy Nintendo up until the Gamecube and has seen nothing out of Nintendo that he wants. He also attributes his reasoning to lack of new IP's. After that he went back to playing Disohonored.

Wouldn't you say thats a valid reason why he quit? New IP's are his issue. Hes a gamer and he didnt even bring up any age barriers, because he plays mostly anything.

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT.

I'm talking about immature stuff like "ZOMG, Wii is so gay."

MegaDrive08 said:
He's been nagging me to get a ps3 now for over a year, I've told him I'm a Nintendo head and he knows I only own one console every gen

Pot... Kettle... Black...?

biggamejames79 said:
theprof00 said:
biggamejames79 said:
ps3 seems more powerful until you try to play Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim on it, then it seems like cheap/faulty/difficult to program for hardware. It has some great games, but "power" isn't everything. Wii was the top dog in the 7th gen and it's the least powerful, not even in HD.

Those aren't examples of cheap/faulty/difficult to program for. Those are examples of what happens when you make shitty ports of games.

Bayonetta devs Platinum, for example apologized profusely for outsourcing teh ps3 port and not developing it themselves. This is simply what happens when you're a dev and you do a bad job.

That's true, and that also may be why a lot of multi-plat games look better on the 360 compared to the ps3.  There's a lot more to a systems value than "power".  I've read that the ps3 has a stronger cpu but the 360 has a better gpu, meaning the graphical power of the 360 is higher than ps3's.  I understand people's desire to have the most powerful system since we all want to see amazing graphics, but from what I've seen there's not enough of a difference between the ps3 & 360 for anyone to brag about one over the other.  If graphics mattered that much, we'd only play pc.  Maybe fanboys are like sports fans, I back my teams no matter what, maybe people back companies in the same way.

From what I can tell, it's not that ps3 is under-specced. Some of the exclusives have shown what kind of power the ps3 has under its hood.

The problem I believe comes from the way processing is handled. I think that for a system like 360 and PC, the video processing is handled by the GPU, whereas the PS3 has a portion of processing done by the CPU (1 or 2 cores is dedicated to video processing). So, if you take the same code, and just slap it into the system, it will take longer to process or there will be graphic artifacts because while you could be using the CPU cores to do processing work, you're not.

There's also a lot of questions on what exactly should you have the cpu process. In that way, perhaps it IS a good example of difficult to develop for, but a lot of developers have said that ps3 has an untapped power that most other companies are not pursuing simply because they'd rather just port and box it up.

At least that's what I've been lead to believe is happening.

360 handles graphics in a traditional way, ps3 in an alternative way.

I'm not sure why Sony went for that route, but I'd say that it has to do with balance of some kind. The cpu is more flexible, so if your game is not gfx intensive, then you can devote the cores to regular processing, and if it is, you can be clever and put a lot of power into the cpu.

I THINK.

Some of the more experienced techies here might be able to help with the question. I may have it completely wrong.
Oh, I also heard there is a bottleneck in the RAM, but I'm not sure how it factors into the technicals I just mentioned, like, whether it's really so important or not.

Around the Network
homer said:
Well...ps3 is pretty cool... Why not just skip the wiiu and buy a vita with a ps3. That way you can theoretically do the same things as the wiiu and your friends will still respect you. Crisis averted.

I think you missed the part "for only double the price"

Yay!!!

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
homer said:
Well...ps3 is pretty cool... Why not just skip the wiiu and buy a vita with a ps3. That way you can theoretically do the same things as the wiiu and your friends will still respect you. Crisis averted.

I think you missed the part "for only double the price"

SOny is thinking about a ps3/vita bundle. I wonder what kind of price range we'd be looking at there.

350? 400 with a game? With 2 games?

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

curl-6 said:

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT.

I'm talking about immature stuff like "ZOMG, Wii is so gay."

He's childish, thats all there is to it (Ironic, eh?). His reasoning behind saying it is probably one of the reasons I explained.

MegaDrive08 said:
A friend of mine has recently come back off of holiday, I just informed him by txt message I pre-ordered a Wii U while he was away, to which he replied back.. Gay, get a ps3, I replied back I like innovation and that I got it with zombi u and he hasn't replied back, why do grown adults act like childish fanboys, when i had a wii a another guy sniggered and said dont talk to me, this over a games console??

I liken fanboyism to having your favorite football team. 

Are you playing the actual game, no.  But I hear it all the time, 'My team is going to shit on your team'.  Or, 'Were going to beat your ass'. 

If it's done for football, why not game companies.  It's fun to see your team win.  Simple as that.

Well, why don't you have a PS3?