By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Does VGChartz have the worst moderators in the world?

I personally wouldn't have locked the thread, but the title was unnecessarily controversial. Saying "dying Vita" instead of "Vita" does nothing to influence the meaning of the question. It's just there to get a reaction. Moreover, we don't know if the Vita is dying or not. Sure it looks like it's dead, but you cannot make presuppositions about things that we don't absolutely know, especially when the responses to that question is so dramatically influenced by that presupposition. It's a loaded question; any response to the question must assume that the Vita is dying, thereby limiting the Vita's chances of passing the Wii.

So, not only is the inclusion of "dying" solely to provoke a hostile reaction, it also makes a presupposition that limits the potential answers, and we cannot say with absolute certainty if "dying" is accurate to begin with. If you're going to make a title so controversial, then there needs be substaintial reasoning behind it. But in this case, I can't think of any decent reasoning to include it. It's unnecessarily controversial.

Again, I wouldn't have locked the thread personally. But it is annoying. The wording is simply unnecessary. It's controversy for the sake of controversy; something we really shouldn't be encouraging. The only possible outcome of including the word is to bait people into a war. If you want to discuss the Vita vs Wii potential sales this holiday, just exclude the word "dying" in the title. In fact, just go ahead and make the thread right now if you were really interested in the discussion, just remove the word "dying." It asks the same question without the presuppositions. You will probably get more interesting responses and a more engaging discussion. But if you insist on using unnecessarily controversial wording, over a more peaceful and potentially thought-provoking wording, then tuff titts to you sir. Just tuff titts.

Around the Network

I think a lot of mods here are a bit too sensitive. Just a bit too.
Then again, they are mods, they can do whatever the FUCK they feel like doing.

Don't like it?

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

phenom08 said:

Wow does this site have some of the worst moderators ever?

Here's a good example.

In this forum "who is going to win this xmas? the dead Wii or the dying Vita?"

"I'm going to go ahead and lock this. Referring to the Vita (or any system that isn't on its way out of the market) as "dying" isn't really the way it should really be represented on the site" said by one of our wonderful moderators.

Notice that this moderator not only has no proof what so ever of the Vita not leaving the market soon, notice how he doesn't even mention the Wii being referred to as a dead platform, notice how he throws in an excerpt like "or any system that isn't on its way out" like he knows when any system is on its way out, and last but not least take a look at what his favorite platform is. I rest my case.

Oh man, I was just thinking about it. Then, I checked his profile, and for my surprise I only saw Sony's things. His favourite plataform is the PS3. He is currently playing two Vita games, and just has a PSN account.

Just saying...

We need moar Zelda, now!

We need moar Unchartedzz!

We need less DLCs.

Jay520 said:

I personally wouldn't have locked the thread, but the title was unnecessarily controversial. Saying "dying Vita" instead of "Vita" does nothing to influence the meaning of the question. It's just there to get a reaction. Moreover, we don't know if the Vita is dying or not. Sure it looks like it's dead, but you cannot make presuppositions about things that we don't absolutely know, especially when the responses to that question is so dramatically influenced by that presupposition. It's a loaded question; any response to the question must assume that the Vita is dying, thereby limiting the Vita's chances of passing the Wii.

So, not only is the inclusion of "dying" solely to provoke a hostile reaction, it also makes a presupposition that limits the potential answers, and we cannot say with absolute certainty if "dying" is accurate to begin with. If you're going to make a title so controversial, then there needs be substaintial reasoning behind it. But in this case, I can't think of any decent reasoning to include it. It's unnecessarily controversial.

Again, I wouldn't have locked the thread personally. But it is annoying. The wording is simply unnecessary. It's controversy for the sake of controversy; something we really shouldn't be encouraging. The only possible outcome of including the word is to bait people into a war. If you want to discuss the Vita vs Wii potential sales this holiday, just exclude the word "dying" in the title. In fact, just go ahead and make the thread right now if you were really interested in the discussion, just remove the word "dying." It asks the same question without the presuppositions. You will probably get more interesting responses and a more engaging discussion. But if you insist on using unnecessarily controversial wording, over a more peaceful and potentially thought-provoking wording, then tuff titts to you sir. Just tuff titts.

yep, could've just changed the thread title, but when a title is made like that it often means that the person making it really didn't want to ask a question anyway, they just wanted to make a trollish statement

No, but I do think Vgchartz has the most vocal posters then any other site.

Around the Network
samuship said:
phenom08 said:

Wow does this site have some of the worst moderators ever?

Here's a good example.

In this forum "who is going to win this xmas? the dead Wii or the dying Vita?"

"I'm going to go ahead and lock this. Referring to the Vita (or any system that isn't on its way out of the market) as "dying" isn't really the way it should really be represented on the site" said by one of our wonderful moderators.

Notice that this moderator not only has no proof what so ever of the Vita not leaving the market soon, notice how he doesn't even mention the Wii being referred to as a dead platform, notice how he throws in an excerpt like "or any system that isn't on its way out" like he knows when any system is on its way out, and last but not least take a look at what his favorite platform is. I rest my case.

Oh man, I was just thinking about it. Then, I checked his profile, and for my surprise I only saw Sony's things. His favourite plataform is the PS3. He is currently playing two Vita games, and just has a PSN account.

Just saying...

And yet 3 of his top games are on the DS with all 3 Nintendo made games.

Former something....

Obviously they all have a stick up their ass and no sense of humor.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

ECM said:
OK, so:

*Thread about the VIta dying (someone's opinion!)=locked.
*Thread about preferences in female anatomical features: unlocked.

Now, I'm not going to get into the vagaries of judging what threads are a bad reflection on the site, but any *sane* person would have to concede that if you're truly worried* about the site's rep, you're going to axe the second one *before* you axe the first one, and yet...

More laughably: a site based on *sales* of games and consoles, to some degree or another, is *locking* threads based on something entirely germane to its very existence, i.e. the sales, or lack thereof, of games and/or consoles.

*You're not: you're abusing your ability as a mod to stifle debate because you don't like the way it's going, which makes the OP 100% correct.

See, the problem here is that the perceived unfairness is coming from people who believe the Vita to be dying.
Fair enough, I can see that those people have taken a factually objective look at the sales and decided that it wasn't for long.

Counter-point, the 3ds was itself selling very poorly before its own price-cut and now is selling at an extremely healthy rate. Ergo, it stands that the lifecycle of the vita isn't as being advertised by the "oppressed posters" as here-today gone-tomorrow, but more in terms of, the Vita cannot sustain sales at this price point, and should seek a new price-point to increase competitiveness.

Therefore, based on the facts, the vita is not dying, but simply not meeting demand.

Demand is a formula which determines an optimal profit stream based on price. It involves the amount of predicted sales multiplied by revenue with cost subtracted. Generally, the formula follows these three levels in a healthy product:
a) high volume, low margin
b) medium volume, medium margin
c) low volume, high margin

Currently, Sony's strategy is to pursue profit above all else ebing that they are financially trying to get their finances back in order, so they are trying to maintain their current strategy of low volume with high margin. Also, it stands that because there are not a great deal of games on the market, it is harder to bring in software revenue.

One would think, hey, you sell more systems, you sell more games, and you make money on games. That's true, but what if there aren't a lot of games? Then obviously, you cannot justify selling the console for less and expect to make the money back on the non-existent razorblades.

So, simply and solidly, I have proven that

1) Vita is not dying, it is in a demand model that suits its pricing strategy
2) Pointed out that making uninformed claims on a website where we like to think of ourselves as informed, is not only easily remedied by evidence, but not really apprpriate to the site, thereby siding with said moderator's decision.

"we at vgc try to use facts, not opinions, thanks for playing"

Farsala said:
No, but I do think Vgchartz has the most vocal posters then any other site.

I beg to disagree...

Yay!!!

I wouldn't say they're great, but the worst in the world? Not by a long shot.