By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Study: liberal academics willing to discriminate against conservatives

Tagged games:

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

It sounds to me like those people are dicks. I don't think that's because they're conservatives. They just happen to be conservative dicks.

That and i'd have to wonder what would happen if Prof brought his liberal friends to a conservative party.

Also, how good of a party could it really be if people are talking politics?

Conservative party? I wouldn't invite people somewhere like that.

We don't have liberal parties. We just have parties. Usually people all hangin out playing pool, swimming, drinking, flirting, talking, playin' mario party, etc. Not everyone is cool, so there will always be that group near the bathroom that you overhear saying "meh meh economy, jobs, obama", and you just say "loser" to yourself and go dance. Other times, that person starts saying things very loudly. You must not know how parties work. The idea is that there are a lot of people, and you can't control how they all act, especially when they're drunk.

Your missing the point.  Which is your brining some republicans to a party that mostly involves liberals.

Though no... like it was mentioend in the other thread.  Conservatives actually tend to be happier, so likely throw better parties.

Take a liberal to a party of mostly conservatives... and he's going to be the embarrsement that ruins the party.

So true. Especially don't bring one of those "gay activist" liberals(people who ignore other more important issues for something as petty, by comparison, as whether or not they can share life insurance policies or whatever crap they are excluded from). They are a real drag. Come to think of it, the only outspoken liberal type people I can tolerate are environmental ones. They have something legit there and something I believe the Republicans need to acknowledge.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

It's funny, because my liberal mind's first thought was "that's true, I should be more understanding instead of responding negatively to a post like marks'"

Your mind is liberal, but your trait is a virtue. I have it too at times, and I'm conservative in thought and heart. The simplest explanation is because we're human and understand empathy and being slow to judge.

happydolphin said:

Anecdote time... because we all need to get along.

Today, I got back from work for lunch to have a meal, and my roomie was home. I don't like to pigeonhole people, but he's definitely liberal. I was on the phone with my best friend, talking about a crappy situation at work and going over the ins and outs of it (management change). I got off the phone and my roomie wants to chat with me about it, I didn't want to, but I was nice.

I go on to tell him what was up, and he starts telling me how stuff works. I was already upset by the situation, but there he was telling me how things work, at a company he doesn't work at, about things he doesn't understand. I cut him off and told him what was actually happening, thinking to myself (don't talk about things you don't know about). The only thing he knew to say was "so is life". I try to tell him it's not that simple, and he just leaves. (as I'm doing his dishes)

My reaction was? People who don't give a hoot shouldn't ask. He pretends to be liberal-minded and not give a care, but he really is just a douchebag who cares little about what happens to me. My resolution? Not talk to him anymore, not answer his questions about what happens to me, because really, deep down, he doesn't care.

Do I think all liberals are like that? I do not. And I have proof for myself that many of my liberal friends are fantastic people. it's not good to use labels to judge people, find one conservative friend you have that is able to get along with people and has interesting things to share, and you might be shocked to discover the truth about life, that we are all human and some of us have things to share that people who judge us too quickly have no idea about.

My belief is that jerks tend to be evenly distributed across all strata; equal proportions of jerk Christians, jerk Muslims, jerk Liberals, jerk Vegetarians, jerk guns-rights advocates, etc.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

People tend to favor those who think along the same lines as them. I'm almost certain you could change this around and apply it to any group you like. This is why I don't tell people that I'm not christian.

Also, I live in the American South, right in the middle of the Bible and Gun Belts. I don't know how many liberals are racist in other areas, perhaps a lot, but the idea that they are more racist than the conservatives I'm familiar with kind of blew my mind.

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

It sounds to me like those people are dicks. I don't think that's because they're conservatives. They just happen to be conservative dicks.

That and i'd have to wonder what would happen if Prof brought his liberal friends to a conservative party.

We don't have liberal parties. We just have parties. Usually people all hangin out playing pool, swimming, drinking, flirting, talking, playin' mario party, etc. Not everyone is cool, so there will always be that group near the bathroom that you overhear saying "meh meh economy, jobs, obama", and you just say "loser" to yourself and go dance. Other times, that person starts saying things very loudly. You must not know how parties work. The idea is that there are a lot of people, and you can't control how they all act, especially when they're drunk.

Your missing the point.  Which is your brining some republicans to a party that mostly involves liberals.

Though no... like it was mentioend in the other thread.  Conservatives actually tend to be happier, so likely throw better parties.

Take a liberal to a party of mostly conservatives... and he's going to be the embarrsement that ruins the party.

Actually, much like this argument, my liberal friends and I just try to drop the subject, and don't engage, because conservatives are always right.

While i'm correct i'm a far cry from a conservative.

On an issues scale i tend to split pretty evenly between  Democrat/Green/Libretarian... and VERY far away from Republican.

I'm just someone who tends to look at things a bit more objectivly do to my background in science rather then try and turn things into a "trashing" party on someone or a group just because i don't agree with them.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

While i'm correct i'm a far cry from a conservative.

On an issues scale i tend to split pretty evenly between  Democrat/Green/Libretarian... and VERY far away from Republican.

I'm just someone who tends to look at things a bit more objectivly do to my background in science rather then try and turn things into a "trashing" party on someone or a group just because i don't agree with them.

Well you know me, I respond negatively when I read things like marks' post and then I say things I shouldn't.

Mr Khan said:
happydolphin said:

Anecdote time... because we all need to get along.

Today, I got back from work for lunch to have a meal, and my roomie was home. I don't like to pigeonhole people, but he's definitely liberal. I was on the phone with my best friend, talking about a crappy situation at work and going over the ins and outs of it (management change). I got off the phone and my roomie wants to chat with me about it, I didn't want to, but I was nice.

I go on to tell him what was up, and he starts telling me how stuff works. I was already upset by the situation, but there he was telling me how things work, at a company he doesn't work at, about things he doesn't understand. I cut him off and told him what was actually happening, thinking to myself (don't talk about things you don't know about). The only thing he knew to say was "so is life". I try to tell him it's not that simple, and he just leaves. (as I'm doing his dishes)

My reaction was? People who don't give a hoot shouldn't ask. He pretends to be liberal-minded and not give a care, but he really is just a douchebag who cares little about what happens to me. My resolution? Not talk to him anymore, not answer his questions about what happens to me, because really, deep down, he doesn't care.

Do I think all liberals are like that? I do not. And I have proof for myself that many of my liberal friends are fantastic people. it's not good to use labels to judge people, find one conservative friend you have that is able to get along with people and has interesting things to share, and you might be shocked to discover the truth about life, that we are all human and some of us have things to share that people who judge us too quickly have no idea about.

My belief is that jerks tend to be evenly distributed across all strata; equal proportions of jerk Christians, jerk Muslims, jerk Liberals, jerk Vegetarians, jerk guns-rights advocates, etc.

I'd argue that there are two forms of Jerk and therefore Jerkiness is somewhat variable.

The two kinds of jerks i see are....

1) Regular Jerks - people who are essentially really self centered and a dick, this kind is pretty evenly distributed.  Throw in here all your people who are jerks due to different mental reasons and such.

2) Emotional Jerks.   Emotional Jerks essentially are only jerks on some issues... because they care about them so strongly.  Therefore jerks tend to be lower on the "moderate" areas.   The more exterme and emotiional the thing, the more jerks that exist.

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

..that i'm going to take exception to. 

i'd say 80% of the population is moderate enough to make their parties not political at all.  but the 10% that are conservative are nags telling me everything that is fun is wrong.  the 10% that are liberals are all druggy hippies.   ...i'd rather smoke pot than get a condensenting lecture.

kitler53 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

i'd say 80% of the population is moderate enough to make their parties not political at all.  but the 10% that are conservative are nags telling me everything that is fun is wrong.  the 10% that are liberals are all druggy hippies.   ...i'd rather smoke pot than get a condensenting lecture.

You can take issue... but it's extremely well documented in the social sciences....

which as the first article mentioned, are extremely liberal biased.  So it's not like they'd want to like about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/conservatives-are-happier-and-extremists-are-happiest-of-all.html

Gives a good example of a number of studies with multiple possible reasons for why this is.   They tend to present enough varied reasons so that anyone from any party can come up with a justification they like.

I'm sure i can dig up plenty of other studies if need be.  It's really just about as uncontroversial a position as you'll find in the social sciences.

Kasz216 said:
kitler53 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

You can take issue... but it's extremely well documented in the social sciences....

which as the first article mentioned, are extremely liberal biased.  So it's not like they'd want to like about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/conservatives-are-happier-and-extremists-are-happiest-of-all.html

Gives a good example of a number of studies with multiple possible reasons for why this is.   They tend to present enough varied reasons so that anyone from any party can come up with a justification they like.

I'm sure i can dig up plenty of other studies if need be.  It's really just about as uncontroversial a position as you'll find in the social sciences.

i'm taking expection to the "..so likely throw better parties." bit.