By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Study: liberal academics willing to discriminate against conservatives

Tagged games:

Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
You know why I don't invite my conservative friends anywhere? Because they ruin parties and events every single time and make me look bad by association.

All of them? Every conservative friend you have?

How do they ruin these parties?

Yep, I just had my friend richmond (doesn't go by rich) show up to a mutual friend's party, ended up getting a jewish girl upset for moving a topic about freedom of speech into a religious debate in which jewish people were "over the top sometimes", told someone that he didn't believe they'd been doored on a bike in boston because bike lanes, and there was one other thing he said which amounted to "you must not X a lot", which was almost word for word things he said about the jews, and biking.

I won't lie, a lot of my friends are liberal, but there are a lot who aren't, and I don't bring them places because it happens everytime. Sure maybe I'm generalizing, but it hasn't ever not happened. I give in, invite them, and they upset people. It's like it's lurking behind the nice, cool facade. They can't not be in everyone's face.

My best friend was into fox news for a while and was like disowned by all our friends because he called someone who got laid off and on unemployment a "leech", meanwhile that friend had cooked food for everyone, and baked goods, and bought beer for everyone. Things like that had been going on for a while though.

It's just always very embarassing.

So I understand why these people in the study don't invite their conservative friends anywhere.

It sounds to me like those people are dicks. I don't think that's because they're conservatives. They just happen to be conservative dicks.

That and i'd have to wonder what would happen if Prof brought his liberal friends to a conservative party.

Also, how good of a party could it really be if people are talking politics?

Conservative party? I wouldn't invite people somewhere like that.

We don't have liberal parties. We just have parties. Usually people all hangin out playing pool, swimming, drinking, flirting, talking, playin' mario party, etc. Not everyone is cool, so there will always be that group near the bathroom that you overhear saying "meh meh economy, jobs, obama", and you just say "loser" to yourself and go dance. Other times, that person starts saying things very loudly. You must not know how parties work. The idea is that there are a lot of people, and you can't control how they all act, especially when they're drunk.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
I'm thinking in line with MikeIntellivision on this one. It depends on how we define "conservatives" here, in the sense that yes, you're going to discriminate against certain popularly held conservative viewpoints, because it's pretty clear that they're wrong

Supply-side economics, or a conservative historian would probably pass muster (so long as they weren't conservative revisionist) but not, for instance, a climate change skeptic or a creationist.

Yeah, we CERN should kick all those skeptics out for believing that the Sun is the primary driver of climate on this planet. After all if we let these radical physicists continue with their "science" it could demonstrate that the vast majority of warming we associate with humans is actually caused by solar flares; matching hundreds of years of observations that predate climate alarmism.

@Prof. That's a very selective PoV, and your conservative friends sound really boring. I know some concervative people and I find them fascinating, as many have hobbies that they are very passionate about and have something interesting to share.

Anyways, OT, this movie already exposed it, but for the case of Creationism being shunned from academia as a whole:

Anyways, not to get on the topic of creationism (please don't), the point was to say there is a lot of snobbing in academia, and a lot of it is done by it would seem liberal thinkers. It's just sad.

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

It sounds to me like those people are dicks. I don't think that's because they're conservatives. They just happen to be conservative dicks.

That and i'd have to wonder what would happen if Prof brought his liberal friends to a conservative party.

We don't have liberal parties. We just have parties. Usually people all hangin out playing pool, swimming, drinking, flirting, talking, playin' mario party, etc. Not everyone is cool, so there will always be that group near the bathroom that you overhear saying "meh meh economy, jobs, obama", and you just say "loser" to yourself and go dance. Other times, that person starts saying things very loudly. You must not know how parties work. The idea is that there are a lot of people, and you can't control how they all act, especially when they're drunk.

Your missing the point.  Which is your brining some republicans to a party that mostly involves liberals.

Though no... like it was mentioend in the other thread.  Conservatives actually tend to be happier, so likely throw better parties.

Take a liberal to a party of mostly conservatives... and he's going to be the embarrsement that ruins the party.

happydolphin said:

@Prof. That's a very selective PoV, and your conservative friends sound really boring. I know some concervative people and I find them fascinating, as many have hobbies that they are very passionate about and have something interesting to share.

Anyways, OT, this movie already exposed it, but for the case of Creationism being shunned from academia as a whole:

Anyways, not to get on the topic of creationism (please don't), the point was to say there is a lot of snobbing in academia, and a lot of it is done by it would seem liberal thinkers. It's just sad.

i watched that like 4 years ago. it was pretty good. i always knew i liked ben stein!

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

Your missing the point.  Which is your brining some republicans to a party that mostly involves liberals.

Though no... like it was mentioend in the other thread.  Conservatives actually tend to be happier, so likely throw better parties.

Take a liberal to a party of mostly conservatives... and he's going to be the embarrsement that ruins the party.

Actually, much like this argument, my liberal friends and I just try to drop the subject, and don't engage, because conservatives are always right.

What's the point of joining a forum convo then? Prof, why can't you put your bias aside, aren't we all human?

Some people are just more opinionated than others, it has not much to do with their political alignment after all. Stubornness is a human trait, not a conservative one...

happydolphin said:

What's the point of joining a forum convo then? Prof, why can't you put your bias aside, aren't we all human?

Some people are just more opinionated than others, it has not much to do with their political alignment after all. Stubornness is a human trait, not a conservative one...

It's funny, because my liberal mind's first thought was "that's true, I should be more understanding instead of responding negatively to a post like marks'"

Marks said:
No surprise there. Liberals are more racist than conservatives IMO.

Why on earth would you say that? Let alone the fact that the term "racist" should only be applied to those who discrimnate based on race and, you know, liberals and conservatives are not different races, but your point doesn't make sense anyway. Racist has generally come to mean discriminating based on a natural attribute that an individual has no control over, such as, obviously, race.

Discriminating based on ideological stance is completely different, isn't it? I mean, would you say that it's "racist" to discriminate against someone because said person thinks that murder and rape are completely alright? I wouldn't. Some people might feel similarly about, say, the Social Darwinism that a lot of conservatives seem to agree with. I'm not saying that conservatism is at all comparable in any way to my example, but they're both ideological stances for which it isn't necessarily wrong, and certainly not racist, to condemn someone.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Anecdote time... because we all need to get along.

Today, I got back from work for lunch to have a meal, and my roomie was home. I don't like to pigeonhole people, but he's definitely liberal. I was on the phone with my best friend, talking about a crappy situation at work and going over the ins and outs of it (management change). I got off the phone and my roomie wants to chat with me about it, I didn't want to, but I was nice.

I go on to tell him what was up, and he starts telling me how stuff works. I was already upset by the situation, but there he was telling me how things work, at a company he doesn't work at, about things he doesn't understand. I cut him off and told him what was actually happening, thinking to myself (don't talk about things you don't know about). The only thing he knew to say was "so is life". I try to tell him it's not that simple, and he just leaves. (as I'm doing his dishes)

My reaction was? People who don't give a hoot shouldn't ask. He pretends to be liberal-minded and not give a care, but he really is just a douchebag who cares little about what happens to me. My resolution? Not talk to him anymore, not answer his questions about what happens to me, because really, deep down, he doesn't care.

Do I think all liberals are like that? I do not. And I have proof for myself that many of my liberal friends are fantastic people. it's not good to use labels to judge people, find one conservative friend you have that is able to get along with people and has interesting things to share, and you might be shocked to discover the truth about life, that we are all human and some of us have things to share that people who judge us too quickly have no idea about.