By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Study: liberal academics willing to discriminate against conservatives

Tagged games:

happydolphin said:

Anyways, OT, this movie already exposed it, but for the case of Creationism being shunned from academia as a whole:

Anyways, not to get on the topic of creationism (please don't), the point was to say there is a lot of snobbing in academia, and a lot of it is done by it would seem liberal thinkers. It's just sad.

I have both left and right leaning colleagues in academia, both as freinds and respected coworkers.  Your example is not a political one.  ID suffers from an overwhelming lack of evidence.  Evidence based science is the one thing that unites academics.  I know Stepen Colbert has argued that reality has a liberal bias... but in the example above it is more a matter of people holding an position that is indefensible in an academic context.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Kasz216 said:
kitler53 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
Kantor said:
theprof00 said:

..that i'm going to take exception to. 

i'd say 80% of the population is moderate enough to make their parties not political at all.  but the 10% that are conservative are nags telling me everything that is fun is wrong.  the 10% that are liberals are all druggy hippies.   ...i'd rather smoke pot than get a condensenting lecture.

You can take issue... but it's extremely well documented in the social sciences....

which as the first article mentioned, are extremely liberal biased.  So it's not like they'd want to like about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/conservatives-are-happier-and-extremists-are-happiest-of-all.html

Gives a good example of a number of studies with multiple possible reasons for why this is.   They tend to present enough varied reasons so that anyone from any party can come up with a justification they like.

I'm sure i can dig up plenty of other studies if need be.  It's really just about as uncontroversial a position as you'll find in the social sciences.

i'm taking expection to the "..so likely throw better parties." bit.

Ah, fair enough.  Me, I think parties would tend to be better where people are happier and in a good mood.  Less chances to get those "

Less chances for an angry drunk to start a fight... and other even uglier moments.

Nothing kills a party more then two groups about to fight because some girl drank to much and there's allegations about what somebody else did etc.

Mr Khan said:
happydolphin said:

Anecdote time... because we all need to get along.

Today, I got back from work for lunch to have a meal, and my roomie was home. I don't like to pigeonhole people, but he's definitely liberal. I was on the phone with my best friend, talking about a crappy situation at work and going over the ins and outs of it (management change). I got off the phone and my roomie wants to chat with me about it, I didn't want to, but I was nice.

I go on to tell him what was up, and he starts telling me how stuff works. I was already upset by the situation, but there he was telling me how things work, at a company he doesn't work at, about things he doesn't understand. I cut him off and told him what was actually happening, thinking to myself (don't talk about things you don't know about). The only thing he knew to say was "so is life". I try to tell him it's not that simple, and he just leaves. (as I'm doing his dishes)

My reaction was? People who don't give a hoot shouldn't ask. He pretends to be liberal-minded and not give a care, but he really is just a douchebag who cares little about what happens to me. My resolution? Not talk to him anymore, not answer his questions about what happens to me, because really, deep down, he doesn't care.

Do I think all liberals are like that? I do not. And I have proof for myself that many of my liberal friends are fantastic people. it's not good to use labels to judge people, find one conservative friend you have that is able to get along with people and has interesting things to share, and you might be shocked to discover the truth about life, that we are all human and some of us have things to share that people who judge us too quickly have no idea about.

My belief is that jerks tend to be evenly distributed across all strata; equal proportions of jerk Christians, jerk Muslims, jerk Liberals, jerk Vegetarians, jerk guns-rights advocates, etc.

Don't forget jerk chicken

Signature goes here!

Immortal said:
Marks said:
No surprise there. Liberals are more racist than conservatives IMO.

Why on earth would you say that? Let alone the fact that the term "racist" should only be applied to those who discrimnate based on race and, you know, liberals and conservatives are not different races, but your point doesn't make sense anyway. Racist has generally come to mean discriminating based on a natural attribute that an individual has no control over, such as, obviously, race.

Discriminating based on ideological stance is completely different, isn't it? I mean, would you say that it's "racist" to discriminate against someone because said person thinks that murder and rape are completely alright? I wouldn't. Some people might feel similarly about, say, the Social Darwinism that a lot of conservatives seem to agree with. I'm not saying that conservatism is at all comparable in any way to my example, but they're both ideological stances for which it isn't necessarily wrong, and certainly not racist, to condemn someone.

I meant liberals are more racist against minorities (than conservatives), which is why I can see them being prejudice against conservatives as well. 

I think the biggest problem is when people rely on ideology instead of pragmatism.

For example, we have one side which wants to balance a budget but won't consider tax increases in this US election and we have another side that wants to balance a budget but won't consider program elimination.

Neither approach works!

(And yes, this is a gross oversimplification).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Marks said:

I meant liberals are more racist against minorities (than conservatives), which is why I can see them being prejudice against conservatives as well. 

If what you say is true, then why are minorities voting in larger proportion on the side of liberals?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Marks said:

If what you say is true, then why are minorities voting in larger proportion on the side of liberals?

I don't want to take Marks' defense, because I don't completely agree with it, but the minorities aren't ideologically liberal, they are voting for a liberal party because the democrats cater to their financial and social needs (which is a good thing).

Marks said:
No surprise there. Liberals are more racist than conservatives IMO.

Not every form of discrimination is based around race.  To make this point, take your reply and make the report about discrimination against women, and see if it fits.

I remember seeing one NBA player end up saying the NBA's age restriction and requiring one year of college was racism.

TruckOSaurus said:
Marks said:

Because of things like this:

They're gonna vote for Obama because he gave them a phone! And Romney sucks. 

This is the average American voter. Don't consider things like economic action plans, budget deficit, foreign policy...just think about yourself and what the government will steal from the rich and give to you. 

Marks said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Marks said:

Because of things like this:

They're gonna vote for Obama because he gave them a phone! And Romney sucks. 

This is the average American voter. Don't consider things like economic action plans, budget deficit, foreign policy...just think about yourself and what the government will steal from the rich and give to you. 

So you're saying that minorities are only interested in Obama because he gives stuff to them? That they can be won over on such a simple level?

Sounds like a pretty racist statement to me...