By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How to Save the American Economy

Salnax said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Salnax said:
BradleyJ said:
This is a joke, right? I hope it's a joke...

Isolationism often makes a resurgence when times are bad.

America's greatest times have come from protectionism.

How is Bush's "free trade" idea working out? Just ask Ohio.

We are in a TRADE DEFICIT - did you know that? Probably not. Keep watching CNN or Fox News.

I'm curious. Which times were these?

1816, and from Lincoln to Coolidge, the Party of Protection, the US become the industrial power of the world and contributed 42% of manufactured goods.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
mrstickball said:

1. Cut federal government spending. Preferably by 35-43% (the amount we're borrowing). Do this primarily by cutting HUD, SNAP, both DoE's, and Defense spending. Reform medicare/SS as much as possible to save costs.
I've talked to a lot of people about these issues and I would like if they could cut spending on these certain things.  However, there's actually a lot less that can be cut before you're royally screwing certain people over.  Such as for defense spending, the places that are usually cut are the payrates of soldiers and checks sometimes get sent to veterans for services they have received in the past.  (EDIT): I believe the word I'm looking for was "compensation"

2. Enact either a income-based flat tax, or fair tax. Do away with corporate taxes.
A very conservative answer, if I do say so myself.  This would essentially be a form of regressive tax.  A flat tax on income would impose a greater burden on the poor than the rich.  This wouldn't be a very good idea in many cases, unless you don't really mind taking more from those with less.

3. Sunset Social Security. Allow the younger generation to invest their earnings in something else other than government debt.
Is this something you want to add to our spending?  If so, this would mean an increase in taxes, right?  Or is this something that replaces our current social security system, which would screw over those who are currently on it for those who are currently paying for it?  Either way, someone has to pay.

4. Adopt a sane monetary policy - one that doesn't simply print money at every turn.
I believe this is a fallacy.

5. Reform and remove government regulations in every area of life. Promote a "regulation holiday" that would allow businesses to invest and invent new technologies without fear of government destroying their inventions.
This is a fallacy as well.  There aren't government regulations on every area of life.  This makes it sound like the government has a tyranny over businesses.  Have you ever heard of Monsanto?

6. End the war on drugs. Impose a reasonable tax on pot and other drugs.
A very controversial topic that could do more harm than good.

7. Repeal (and do not replace) Obamacare. Force insurance companies to compete against each other over state lines, and promote freer-market reforms.
What about "Obamacare" (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act PPACA) is a problem, specifically?  Our current health care system is broken.  It's obvious by how large a simple hospital bill is, even if you were on insurance. 

Do those 7 things, and we'd be growing faster than China.

I am not so sure about that.

By the way, tariffs and protectionism do not work. Don't believe me? Ask the Great Depression. Look up Smoot-Hawley and the effect it played on kickstarting the depression. There's a reason the stock market crashed in 1929 - the same exact day Congress took up debate on (actually) approving such an insane bill.

I don't know for sure whether or not tariffs or protectionism will work, but this is a different time.  What gives you the impression that doing this now will have the same effects it had a long time ago?

1. If you end the wars and bring a good number of troops home, you'd cut a significant amount of money off of DoD spending. We're spending anywhere from $50 billion to $100 billion annually overseas. Throw in a few other cuts here and there, and saving $100-150 billion USD would be pretty easy.

2. When I talk about a flat tax, I am talking about a flat tax with a pre-built deduction, which would be a percentage above the poverty level. Anything below that is 100% exempt. Therefore, if the deduction was $30,000 and you made $50,000, only $20,000 would be taxed. If you made $100,000, you would be taxed on the $70,000. The FairTax comes with a built-in prebate system, in which the government would pay each family a fixed amount of money each month to offset the tax. That would ensure that it is not regressive.

3. No. I'm talking about transitioning away from the 9.6% to 11.3% of highly regressive taxes that are under the "payroll" heading. Every American is taxed up to $107,000 USD annually, which is put into Social Security. The huge issue with that is that Social Security is not solvent, meaning that you will not get that 9.6% to 11.3% back, unless there are huge, negative changes made to Social Security (such as raising the retirement age).

Furthermore, another issue is with how Social Security invests its money. Instead of investing in American businesses, it invests in American government. That is, buys T-bills and other government debt. That provides an atrocious return on investment, which is about 2.32% annually. That is barely above inflation. Therefore, if the system was changed to a defined benefit plan, which invested the payroll taxes into bonds, stocks, and other securities (which would be selected by the government, or whatever entity was preferred - many countries do this, as well as state governments), a much higher interest rate would be achieved, which would result in a solvent pension system. You could then easily lower taxes (since less money was needed to meet OASDI guidelines), or pay out more money.

4. How so? Our Federal Reserve just stated they are printing $40 billion dollars each month to buy mortgages and securities. The result is very inflationary.

5. There are government regulations over almost everything you partake in. Your job has many government regulations. The cars you drive have many regulations. The healthcare you buy has many regulations. One way or another, government regulations restrict lots of things you do. You may not realize it, but it absolutely does.

For example, I looked over car regulations yesterday - what it takes to get a vehicle on the road. Do you know how many tens of millions of dollars must be spent on compliance costs? The result is the monopolization of the auto industry. New competitors cannot afford the government mandates, so they fold up. It stifles technology. Therefore, my suggestion is to allow businesses to compete in a very free-market experiment. If they can't build a better car, give better health care, or build a cheaper, safer house, then keep the regulations. But if they can innovate, then let them.

6. Health care costs have shot up since ACA went into effect. It does nothing to contain costs. Nothing. As I said, a huge amount of costs in regards to health care are due to government regulations - about 50-60% of every dollar spent on health care in America goes to government mandates and requirements for care. Get rid of many of them, and you'd see costs drop by the aforementioned 50-60%. Do you know why universal health care is cheaper outside of the US? Because its easier to get paid than it is through our Medicare system. Fix that by deregulation and more competition, and it gets much cheaper.

7. Look at the history of tariffs and trade wars. The thing about tariffs is that it is a two-way street. If America hits China with tariffs on, say, toys, they will hit us with a tariff on food. We would suffer under such a scenario. Look at when American industry began to go overseas - it all started in the 1970s. The same time the EPA was founded, and began to create regulation after regulation. Even Steve Jobs begged Obama before he died to make regulations easier, so he could bring the jobs back from China.

The rebuttal is that "We don't want to destroy our environment! We need the protections!". That is true, but what would you rather have? Reasonable regulations, American jobs, and a better environment because we're dealing with the consequences, or no jobs, a Chinese wasteland, and keeping what we have today?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
mrstickball said:

1. Cut federal government spending. Preferably by 35-43% (the amount we're borrowing). Do this primarily by cutting HUD, SNAP, both DoE's, and Defense spending. Reform medicare/SS as much as possible to save costs.

2. Enact either a income-based flat tax, or fair tax. Do away with corporate taxes.

3. Sunset Social Security. Allow the younger generation to invest their earnings in something else other than government debt.

4. Adopt a sane monetary policy - one that doesn't simply print money at every turn.

5. Reform and remove government regulations in every area of life. Promote a "regulation holiday" that would allow businesses to invest and invent new technologies without fear of government destroying their inventions.

6. End the war on drugs. Impose a reasonable tax on pot and other drugs.

7. Repeal (and do not replace) Obamacare. Force insurance companies to compete against each other over state lines, and promote freer-market reforms.

Do those 7 things, and we'd be growing faster than China.

By the way, tariffs and protectionism do not work. Don't believe me? Ask the Great Depression. Look up Smoot-Hawley and the effect it played on kickstarting the depression. There's a reason the stock market crashed in 1929 - the same exact day Congress took up debate on (actually) approving such an insane bill.

Globalism doesn't work either - well, if you aren't America it does work I guess. If you're America, it doesn't.

And Smoot Hawley had 0 negative effect on America, just more anti-American pro globalist garbage. Remember, Smoot Hawley was passed after Black Tuesday.  However Smoot Hawley was an awful tariff - no doubt about that. And before Smoot-Hawley, the 1929 Trade Surplus was 0.38% of our GDP.

Our GDP fell 46% from 1929-1934. Exports were $5.9 billion in 1929, and had fell down $3.9 billion to $2 billion in 1933. This $3.9 billion decline was roughly 3.8% of the 1929 GDP, which had already fell down 46%. THus, of the negative 46% GDP decline, only 3.8% of it was due to a fall in exports. If we look at imports, the loss is only $0.2 billion - or .5% of the total GDP decline.

Thus, Smoot Hawley caused only 1% of the 46% of the GDP decline.

Then you have to remember the situation is different here - Americans are losing jobs by the MILLIONS (I believe 6 million manufacturing jobs lost since 2000!). This is because they are going to other countries such as India, Haiti, Burma, China, etc. etc. Then we have a trade dedicit. Keep babbling on about Smoot Hawley while more Americans lose jobs and our deficits grow. We have to stop this. Don't complain about unemployment then be against tariffs.

America will not survive a global economy.

Source:

http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/TablePrint.asp?FirstYear=1929&LastYear=1938&Freq=Year&SelectedTable=5&ViewSeries=NO&Java=no&MaxValue=103.6&MaxChars=5&Request3Place=N&3Place=N&FromView=YES&SmallFont=Y&Legal=&Land=

1. There was a good bit of research done regarding Smoot-Hawley. It did contribute to the loss of GDP during the Great Depression - no less than 10% of all GDP lost during the depression was due to Smoot-Hawley. Why? Because when we add tariffs, so do other countries. Every country we hit with new tariffs hit us back, which was disasterous for many of our industries.

2. Why are we losing jobs? You really don't bother asking, nor answering that question. You simply yell "Tariffs! Tariffs!" in some insane belief that they will fix our problem.

I know people that run manfuacturing in the US. A few, actually, from different disciplines. The problem isn't tariffs. A lot of times, its government regulations. As it stands, tax and environmental regulations add about $15,000 onto every manufacturing job created. That is a huge amount of money, which drives jobs overseas. Reasonable regulations and reforms could drive that cost down, bringing jobs back. Thus the regulatory holiday. Certainly, China is playing an unfair game with currency manipulation, but (again) the response shouldn't be tariffs. It should be a reasonable monetary policy for the US, which would restore the strength of the dollar.

I showed you the chart showing Smoot Hawley contributed to 1% (more likely less) to our GDP loss.And loads of countries had tariffs then. We added tariffs many times throughout history and that never happened. In fact it has only helped us. Free trade on the other hand has put is in a trade deficit, and lost us millions of jobs that will likely never come back. Yay?

I have answered why we are losing jobs - we are losing jobs because we are exporting our TRUE economy (industry) and now we are a "service economy." Right. Then a lot of the jobs we do have in the U.S. are being taken by illegal immigrants. For example, 15% of construction workers are illegal immigrants. Thousands of construction workers are losing their jobs, when if we deported the 15% that are taking them that would not be a problem.

And yes, we have internal problems as well - my proposals are just the start. But it's not just manufacturing jobs we are losing - heck, even our "service economy" is going down the tubes. Look at the call centers in India. Our tech companies aren't even American anymore! Then those service jobs are being taken over by cheap illegals.

mrstickball said:

1. If you end the wars and bring a good number of troops home, you'd cut a significant amount of money off of DoD spending. We're spending anywhere from $50 billion to $100 billion annually overseas. Throw in a few other cuts here and there, and saving $100-150 billion USD would be pretty easy.

2. When I talk about a flat tax, I am talking about a flat tax with a pre-built deduction, which would be a percentage above the poverty level. Anything below that is 100% exempt. Therefore, if the deduction was $30,000 and you made $50,000, only $20,000 would be taxed. If you made $100,000, you would be taxed on the $70,000. The FairTax comes with a built-in prebate system, in which the government would pay each family a fixed amount of money each month to offset the tax. That would ensure that it is not regressive.

3. No. I'm talking about transitioning away from the 9.6% to 11.3% of highly regressive taxes that are under the "payroll" heading. Every American is taxed up to $107,000 USD annually, which is put into Social Security. The huge issue with that is that Social Security is not solvent, meaning that you will not get that 9.6% to 11.3% back, unless there are huge, negative changes made to Social Security (such as raising the retirement age).

Furthermore, another issue is with how Social Security invests its money. Instead of investing in American businesses, it invests in American government. That is, buys T-bills and other government debt. That provides an atrocious return on investment, which is about 2.32% annually. That is barely above inflation. Therefore, if the system was changed to a defined benefit plan, which invested the payroll taxes into bonds, stocks, and other securities (which would be selected by the government, or whatever entity was preferred - many countries do this, as well as state governments), a much higher interest rate would be achieved, which would result in a solvent pension system. You could then easily lower taxes (since less money was needed to meet OASDI guidelines), or pay out more money.

4. How so? Our Federal Reserve just stated they are printing $40 billion dollars each month to buy mortgages and securities. The result is very inflationary.

5. There are government regulations over almost everything you partake in. Your job has many government regulations. The cars you drive have many regulations. The healthcare you buy has many regulations. One way or another, government regulations restrict lots of things you do. You may not realize it, but it absolutely does.

For example, I looked over car regulations yesterday - what it takes to get a vehicle on the road. Do you know how many tens of millions of dollars must be spent on compliance costs? The result is the monopolization of the auto industry. New competitors cannot afford the government mandates, so they fold up. It stifles technology. Therefore, my suggestion is to allow businesses to compete in a very free-market experiment. If they can't build a better car, give better health care, or build a cheaper, safer house, then keep the regulations. But if they can innovate, then let them.

6. Health care costs have shot up since ACA went into effect. It does nothing to contain costs. Nothing. As I said, a huge amount of costs in regards to health care are due to government regulations - about 50-60% of every dollar spent on health care in America goes to government mandates and requirements for care. Get rid of many of them, and you'd see costs drop by the aforementioned 50-60%. Do you know why universal health care is cheaper outside of the US? Because its easier to get paid than it is through our Medicare system. Fix that by deregulation and more competition, and it gets much cheaper.

7. Look at the history of tariffs and trade wars. The thing about tariffs is that it is a two-way street. If America hits China with tariffs on, say, toys, they will hit us with a tariff on food. We would suffer under such a scenario. Look at when American industry began to go overseas - it all started in the 1970s. The same time the EPA was founded, and began to create regulation after regulation. Even Steve Jobs begged Obama before he died to make regulations easier, so he could bring the jobs back from China.

The rebuttal is that "We don't want to destroy our environment! We need the protections!". That is true, but what would you rather have? Reasonable regulations, American jobs, and a better environment because we're dealing with the consequences, or no jobs, a Chinese wasteland, and keeping what we have today?

Lol like Steve Jobs cares about that stuff. He would have never brought the jobs back here (he said so himself) - he enjoyed the cheap Foxconn labor too much. But the problem is not just Foxconn is cheaper, but are more skilled as well. Though I will agree we need to do something about the EPA.

McDonaldsGuy said:
mrstickball said:

1. There was a good bit of research done regarding Smoot-Hawley. It did contribute to the loss of GDP during the Great Depression - no less than 10% of all GDP lost during the depression was due to Smoot-Hawley. Why? Because when we add tariffs, so do other countries. Every country we hit with new tariffs hit us back, which was disasterous for many of our industries.

2. Why are we losing jobs? You really don't bother asking, nor answering that question. You simply yell "Tariffs! Tariffs!" in some insane belief that they will fix our problem.

I know people that run manfuacturing in the US. A few, actually, from different disciplines. The problem isn't tariffs. A lot of times, its government regulations. As it stands, tax and environmental regulations add about $15,000 onto every manufacturing job created. That is a huge amount of money, which drives jobs overseas. Reasonable regulations and reforms could drive that cost down, bringing jobs back. Thus the regulatory holiday. Certainly, China is playing an unfair game with currency manipulation, but (again) the response shouldn't be tariffs. It should be a reasonable monetary policy for the US, which would restore the strength of the dollar.

I showed you the chart showing Smoot Hawley contributed to 1% (more likely less) to our GDP loss.And loads of countries had tariffs then. We added tariffs many times throughout history and that never happened. In fact it has only helped us. Free trade on the other hand has put is in a trade deficit, and lost us millions of jobs that will likely never come back. Yay?

I have answered why we are losing jobs - we are losing jobs because we are exporting our TRUE economy (industry) and now we are a "service economy." Right. Then a lot of the jobs we do have in the U.S. are being taken by illegal immigrants. For example, 15% of construction workers are illegal immigrants. Thousands of construction workers are losing their jobs, when if we deported the 15% that are taking them that would not be a problem.

And yes, we have internal problems as well - my proposals are just the start. But it's not just manufacturing jobs we are losing - heck, even our "service economy" is going down the tubes. Look at the call centers in India. Our tech companies aren't even American anymore!

Why do you think that so many manual labor jobs are by illegals? Our country has a culture that hates to do hard labor. Mike Rowe's outlook is (IMO) generally right about it.

You can't always take a nationalistic "Its everyone elses' fault!" when it comes to employment. There is always a reason jobs go overseas. Many times, its because its much easier to work with other nations than it is America - less regulations, less red tape, and they are willing to do whatever is needed to get your business. If you change that, then jobs come back.

*edit* The energy sector in the US is a fantastic example of it. The government has continually restricted the growth of the energy sector, which has driven a lot of money overseas. Comparatively, states that are pushing for more drilling/fracking/ect are growing at great rates. You mentioned how bad Ohio is - we're actually below the national average on unemployment, because a lot of energy jobs have been coming to the state in the past few years. Look at North Dakota - they have no unemployment because of the Bakken formation.

Look at nations that have taken our jobs, or created their own - they've all done it through sane regulations that aren't overbearing, and a proper tax atmosphere. Better yet, why not look at countries with very protectionist policies and high tariffs? They are not the beacons of growth that you believe they are.

Here's a list for you, by the way:

http://www.heritage.org/index/explore?view=by-variables

Its pretty damning when it comes to tariffs. Each country that approaches 0% import tariffs are doing very well economically (Hong Konh, Macau, Singapire, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Canada, ect). Comparatively, no nation that has a 10% tariff rate has seen notable growth in the past decade.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:

kain_kusanagi said:
I want a 10% flat tax with no exceptions.
What do you mean flat tax?  Do you mean everyone pays the same income tax rate and that capital gains are also taxed the same way?  All taxes are equal?  Elaborate since this is a bit obscure to me.

I mean a flat 10% tax on all earned income of all kinds. If you earn $1 then you pay $0.10, if you earn $1,000,000 then you pay $100,000. No loopholes, no deductions. It doesn't matter if you make millions a year or a measly hundred bucks. Everyone pays 10% and there's no way out of it.

I want a huge cut in government costs. That means closing crap like the Department of Education. It's hard to cut things that some people see some value in.  There are benefits in certain things that we keep.  If we do what we say benefits most people, then what we're also saying is that we neglect the minority.

This isn't a list of things that can easily be done in politics. This is a list of things I want. The US government is too big and costs too much. The founding fathers didn't want the state to run everything. The US government is only supposed to protect our boarders, enforce the law, and uphold the constitution. Every year the government gets bigger, costs more, and regulates more of our lives. Education should be handled locally.

I want all foreign aid sent to our enemies to end. If people need our help, we can help them, but we need to stop borrowing money from China to send to Egypt while they hate us. I do not know much about this issue, but I do not think that this would help us much in the long term whether we stop it or not.  This could be done solely for publicity.  

It's a waste of money and I hate money being wasted.

I want taxes on imports to make outsourcing cost more than running factories in the USA.
I'm a little tired, but doesn't this result in inflation?

We currently let other countries charge us far more for import/export than we charge them. Apple has everything they make built in China. How does that help anyone but China?

I want unions to have less power. We have all the worker's rights laws we need, now unions do nothing but costs us all money.
I do not know for sure how much power unions have, but working conditions are not consistent and there are a lot of holes in these sorts of things.  A lot of nasty things still happen to factory workers.

Unions have their place as small local worker advocacy groups run by workers. But giant multinational unions are in it for money. The only thing they care about is union dues.

I want term limits for congress.
I do not think this will impact much in the end.

So what? We need less career politicians getting kickbacks and more good honest people in government who just want to do what's best for the nation.

I want all our fuel resources utilized. That goes for oil, coal, coal to oil, wind, solar and most importantly nuclear.
This is a debatable issue depending on your views.  There are many conflicting issues on how to use our resources and whether or not we should even care about this.  I'm supporting this view, especially about utilizing nuclear.  However, the people are highly against nuclear due to its "potential" risk if anything were to go wrong, however low those risks may be.

Like I said above. This is a list of what I want. If I could I'd install a reactor in my basement. That's how safe it is.

I want congress to stop stealing money from Social Security.
Not sure if I heard about this.  Source?

President Johnson was the first president to start using the Social Security Trust in the general budget. Since then the government takes what it wants form the SS Trust and pays it back later. It's like barrowing, but they pay it back with money they barrow or tax. So we end up having to pay back our own Social Security Trust Fund. What happens if the government can't find the money to pay it back? Bye Bye Social Security.

I want the USA to leave the UN. The security council is a joke.

No comment.

China and Russia veto nearly all proposed humanitarian military actions. Sometimes it costs thousands of lives before the US and NATO go in anyway while the UN makes phone calls.

mrstickball said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
mrstickball said:

And yes, we have internal problems as well - my proposals are just the start. But it's not just manufacturing jobs we are losing - heck, even our "service economy" is going down the tubes. Look at the call centers in India. Our tech companies aren't even American anymore!

Why do you think that so many manual labor jobs are by illegals? Our country has a culture that hates to do hard labor. Mike Rowe's outlook is (IMO) generally right about it.

You can't always take a nationalistic "Its everyone elses' fault!" when it comes to employment. There is always a reason jobs go overseas. Many times, its because its much easier to work with other nations than it is America - less regulations, less red tape, and they are willing to do whatever is needed to get your business. If you change that, then jobs come back.

*edit* The energy sector in the US is a fantastic example of it. The government has continually restricted the growth of the energy sector, which has driven a lot of money overseas. Comparatively, states that are pushing for more drilling/fracking/ect are growing at great rates. You mentioned how bad Ohio is - we're actually below the national average on unemployment, because a lot of energy jobs have been coming to the state in the past few years. Look at North Dakota - they have no unemployment because of the Bakken formation.

Look at nations that have taken our jobs, or created their own - they've all done it through sane regulations that aren't overbearing, and a proper tax atmosphere. Better yet, why not look at countries with very protectionist policies and high tariffs? They are not the beacons of growth that you believe they are.

Here's a list for you, by the way:

http://www.heritage.org/index/explore?view=by-variables

Its pretty damning when it comes to tariffs. Each country that approaches 0% import tariffs are doing very well economically (Hong Konh, Macau, Singapire, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Canada, ect). Comparatively, no nation that has a 10% tariff rate has seen notable growth in the past decade.

"Why do you think that so many manual labor jobs are by illegals? Our country has a culture that hates to do hard labor."

True. Before illegals came America had no construction, no electricity, no plumbing, no roads, etc. etc. Thank god for the illegals.

And to answer your question - they are cheaper. End of story.

"There is always a reason jobs go overseas. Many times, its because its much easier to work with other nations than it is America - less regulations, less red tape, and they are willing to do whatever is needed to get your business. If you change that, then jobs come back."

And it's cheaper, and in the case of China, becoming more skilled.

Call centers don't have EPA regulations (well, not the same as a factory does) but they are still being shipped out cause companies are cheap.

"Its pretty damning when it comes to tariffs. Each country that approaches 0% import tariffs are doing very well economically (Hong Konh, Macau, Singapire, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Canada, ect). Comparatively, no nation that has a 10% tariff rate has seen notable growth in the past decade."

Different situations compared to America.  I will say it once again - the U.S. has a trade deficit. The U.S. is being destroyed by "free trade!" Plus, when you talk about the economy, you have to ask "Who's economy?" You have the corporate American economy, and the people's American economy. You seem to be for the corporate American economy (low wages, no regulations, foreigners deserve the jobs, etc. etc.). Shipping all the high paying jobs to India and China where people work for 10 cents an hour is great for the corporate economy and CEOs who want $10 million bonuses, but not so great for the people's economy.

With tariffs, we will recover the millions of jobs that have been sent to India, China, Haiti, Burma,e tc. etc. There'd be a lot more work here to do, which means a higher demand for workers.

There was no real foreign competition for long time, and people could afford to buy a house, own cars, schools (like college) were cheap, people could hold on to the same job for decades instead of months, and get a fully funded retirement rather than hoping they get lucky in the casino (aka the stock market), and had a sense of stability. Now it is a giant race to the bottom of the barrel. To make matters worse with technology the standards of living should improve but now it is becoming harder and harder.

With $2.5 trillion in a trade deficit, $16 trillion national debt, a stagnant stock market for 15 years, a housing market still unaffordable to many, an 8% unemployment rate (probably more closer to 15%), clearly this free trade stuff isn't working out as well as you hoped, right?

mrstickball said:

Easier said than done.  I know about what you're saying, and it's not something we can just say "let's stop wars!" to.  

I see what you're saying.  However, your explanation needs some work.  It's still kind of unclear.  Also, that kind of flat tax would mean income tax is cut?  Unless this flat tax is high.

Honestly, I don't know too much about Social Security.  What I do know is that a lot of money is spent on it, and I think we're kind of stuck on it.  Not much I can say.

The statement on its own was fallicious.  They don't just print money to print money as the original statement was saying.  Printing money does create inflation, yes.  However, I don't think this is our prime suspect.  I would consider this one of the smaller issues (which is still an issue) that we're facing. 

The government does have a large role in what we do, there are a lot of regulations, but a lot of what you just said aren't directed towards us but the suppliers itself.  There are a lot of other things that the government doesn't regulate.  Regulation is also a good thing on very many levels as it is also a way to protect us from others and from ourselves.  I'm in agreement with most government regulations.  

So you want a laissez faire economy?  It's not really a monopoly unless there's actually just one.  Who are "they" in the last two sentences?  Without regulations, the industry would control us moreso than anyone else.  The industry really does have more power than the government, whether you want to believe it or not.  They have a lot of power over us as consumers of a mainly capitalist (market) society.

Actually, there's really just an initial cost with this.  It will cost us for a while, but a reform has to cost something to get it started.  The numbers show that after some time, we'll actually be gaining more money than we spend with the PPACA.  If you get rid of government mandates and requirements, you get some really sketchy things going on with insurance.  Companies usually like to do what's best for them, not for the customer.  The PPACA also is a gradual thing.  We're not seeing the full impact of the PPACA right now.  You seem to think competition is what makes things get cheaper.  No, what insurance companies are doing now are over-charging the customers as it is.  Competition isn't always the answer.  Plus, competition will still exist under PPACA.

This one I didn't give an argument for.  I simply wanted you to explain yourself because you seemed to just be shooting in the dark.  We can look at history to determine what might be the best course of action.  However, there are many other factors we have to account for.  Yes, it could be likely that putting tariffs on these things with China may create more issues.  I am not arguing against that.

Also, Steve Jobs as an example isn't really a good way to help your case.  There are risks for lessening regulations, and just because people say regulations are killing jobs in America doesn't mean that's what will happen.  Regulations prevent poorer work conditions.  Regulations also prevent the sweat shops from forming within the USA.  The USA used to run on lower regulations, but a lot of horrible things happened as a result.  

kain_kusanagi said:
I want a 10% flat tax with no exceptions.
What do you mean flat tax?  Do you mean everyone pays the same income tax rate and that capital gains are also taxed the same way?  All taxes are equal?  Elaborate since this is a bit obscure to me.

I mean a flat 10% tax on all earned income of all kinds. If you earn $1 then you pay $0.10, if you earn $1,000,000 then you pay $100,000. No loopholes, no deductions. It doesn't matter if you make millions a year or a measly hundred bucks. Everyone pays 10% and there's no way out of it.

This is definitely a regressive tax.  This is a horrible idea because 10% from a family with a lower income is a much larger percentage for them than for those who are rich, because part of that money they are paying in taxes end up being money they need.  If they can barely afford to pay their bills, and you tax them for 10% of their income, they will not be able to survive.  It also isn't their fault that they cannot make enough money.  Our system is created so that SOMEBODY has to be down there.  Unless you mean to say you want these people to die out, in which case new people get kicked into that area. 

I want a huge cut in government costs. That means closing crap like the Department of Education. It's hard to cut things that some people see some value in.  There are benefits in certain things that we keep.  If we do what we say benefits most people, then what we're also saying is that we neglect the minority.

This isn't a list of things that can easily be done in politics. This is a list of things I want. The US government is too big and costs too much. The founding fathers didn't want the state to run everything. The US government is only supposed to protect our boarders, enforce the law, and uphold the constitution. Every year the government gets bigger, costs more, and regulates more of our lives. Education should be handled locally.

When I say "hard" I mean you can't just neglect others.  How would you feel if you were a part of a minority group and the government stopped supporting some program that helped you out so it can pay for a majority you aren't a part of?  It would suck, especially if having that program didn't effect others anyway.  As for education, I do believe it should be handled locally, but supervised by the federal government.  

I want all foreign aid sent to our enemies to end. If people need our help, we can help them, but we need to stop borrowing money from China to send to Egypt while they hate us. I do not know much about this issue, but I do not think that this would help us much in the long term whether we stop it or not.  This could be done solely for publicity.  

It's a waste of money and I hate money being wasted.

Well, it may not necessarily be wasted money.  Foreign relations can reap benefits for us as a nation.  

I want taxes on imports to make outsourcing cost more than running factories in the USA.
I'm a little tired, but doesn't this result in inflation?

We currently let other countries charge us far more for import/export than we charge them. Apple has everything they make built in China. How does that help anyone but China?

This is in no way a simple matter.  I know you're saying these are what you want to be done, but they aren't really realistic at all.

I want unions to have less power. We have all the worker's rights laws we need, now unions do nothing but costs us all money.
I do not know for sure how much power unions have, but working conditions are not consistent and there are a lot of holes in these sorts of things.  A lot of nasty things still happen to factory workers.

Unions have their place as small local worker advocacy groups run by workers. But giant multinational unions are in it for money. The only thing they care about is union dues.

I guess?

I want term limits for congress.
I do not think this will impact much in the end.

So what? We need less career politicians getting kickbacks and more good honest people in government who just want to do what's best for the nation.

I don't think "good honest people" would come about as a result.  I also don't think we can really say they are "kicking back" and don't care about the nation.  Business has more power than the government, so the businesses tend to control a lot of the government as well.  This is more of an "industry" issue than a government one, to me.

I want all our fuel resources utilized. That goes for oil, coal, coal to oil, wind, solar and most importantly nuclear.
This is a debatable issue depending on your views.  There are many conflicting issues on how to use our resources and whether or not we should even care about this.  I'm supporting this view, especially about utilizing nuclear.  However, the people are highly against nuclear due to its "potential" risk if anything were to go wrong, however low those risks may be.

Like I said above. This is a list of what I want. If I could I'd install a reactor in my basement. That's how safe it is.

We already do have nuclear reactors in the USA.  However, realistically after the nuclear power plant issue in Japan, a lot of people started losing more faith in using nuclear for energy.

I want congress to stop stealing money from Social Security.
Not sure if I heard about this.  Source?

President Johnson was the first president to start using the Social Security Trust in the general budget. Since then the government takes what it wants form the SS Trust and pays it back later. It's like barrowing, but they pay it back with money they barrow or tax. So we end up having to pay back our own Social Security Trust Fund. What happens if the government can't find the money to pay it back? Bye Bye Social Security.

I can't really comment on this.  Social Security does take up a lot of money.  However, we're kind of stuck with it.

I want the USA to leave the UN. The security council is a joke.

No comment.

China and Russia veto nearly all proposed humanitarian military actions. Sometimes it costs thousands of lives before the US and NATO go in anyway while the UN makes phone calls.

Can't say I know what's going on here.  I don't see the whole story.

MDMAlliance said:
mrstickball said:

Easier said than done.  I know about what you're saying, and it's not something we can just say "let's stop wars!" to.  

People elected Obama on the "No wars" stance, yet he's gone into Libya, Syria, and kept Afghanistan going.

I see what you're saying.  However, your explanation needs some work.  It's still kind of unclear.  Also, that kind of flat tax would mean income tax is cut?  Unless this flat tax is high.

A flat tax replaces our current structure. The flat tax would need to be high (20-25%), but could be reduced as needed. The advantage is that there are no loopholes - no way for a person to offset his tax bill. 

Honestly, I don't know too much about Social Security.  What I do know is that a lot of money is spent on it, and I think we're kind of stuck on it.  Not much I can say.

We're only stuck on it as long as we want to be. 

The statement on its own was fallicious.  They don't just print money to print money as the original statement was saying.  Printing money does create inflation, yes.  However, I don't think this is our prime suspect.  I would consider this one of the smaller issues (which is still an issue) that we're facing.

The problem is that they are printing money, and recklessly. That is what quantitative easing is. Please read up on it. They create money out of nowhere, and use it to buy bonds and assets. So instead of creating something in which money is needed as a medium, they instead create the money which is inflationary.

The government does have a large role in what we do, there are a lot of regulations, but a lot of what you just said aren't directed towards us but the suppliers itself.  There are a lot of other things that the government doesn't regulate.  Regulation is also a good thing on very many levels as it is also a way to protect us from others and from ourselves.  I'm in agreement with most government regulations. 

Regulation is good, as an idea. However, when you have too many regulations, it causes smaller competitors in a marketplace to die, or be prevented from jumping in. Again, the car analogy is apt. There are so many regulations that no new companies can enter the space, unless they're a major foreign company like Toyota or Nissan.

How would you feel if the government decided to regulate what video games you could buy? Or how fast your computer could be? They essentially do the same thing with many fields and areas of life. We're just "used" to it, and don't notice it.

So you want a laissez faire economy?  It's not really a monopoly unless there's actually just one.  Who are "they" in the last two sentences?  Without regulations, the industry would control us moreso than anyone else.  The industry really does have more power than the government, whether you want to believe it or not.  They have a lot of power over us as consumers of a mainly capitalist (market) society.

This is totally wrong. Corporatism is at an all-time high, not a low. When the government is given unilateral power to make and create laws, it creates lobbyists. Do you think lobbying is more or less prevalent today than it was 30 years ago?

The reason for the lobbyists is that they know they can influence and effect government policy for their benefit. That is because of too much government and regulation, and not too little. Consider the case of UPS and Fed Ex. UPS has been trying to lobby the government to change how packaging/transport unions work. Why? Because UPS has a union, and Fed Ex does not. If they lobbied the government for these new regulations, it would likely make Fed Ex go bankrupt. That is a result of more regulations, not less.

When you have less regulations, you remove barriers to entry. That is the key. It actually hurts corporations, because new people can get into an industry with a device or service. When you have more regulations, it becomes far more difficult for an average person (or group of people) to break into an industry.

Actually, there's really just an initial cost with this.  It will cost us for a while, but a reform has to cost something to get it started.  The numbers show that after some time, we'll actually be gaining more money than we spend with the PPACA.  If you get rid of government mandates and requirements, you get some really sketchy things going on with insurance.  Companies usually like to do what's best for them, not for the customer.  The PPACA also is a gradual thing.  We're not seeing the full impact of the PPACA right now.  You seem to think competition is what makes things get cheaper.  No, what insurance companies are doing now are over-charging the customers as it is.  Competition isn't always the answer.  Plus, competition will still exist under PPACA.

Can you tell me when the costs are supposed to go down with the PPACA?

And actually, you don't get sketchy things when you remove government regulation of health care. Do you know what government regulations are involved with your pets? There are none. There is no FDA that requires testing for pet meds. No AMA that acts as a cartel for regulating veterinary doctors. No government requirements for medicare. Do you know what the result is? Pet insurance doesn't even exist, because care is too cheap and affordable. Go look at what it costs for a major, live-saving surgery for your pet vs. you. The likelihood that your pet is to recieve negligent care is as likely as a human, yet the pet surgery is a fraction of the price. Why? Because its much cheaper to become a vet and run a clinic than it is a hospital.

Also, Steve Jobs as an example isn't really a good way to help your case.  There are risks for lessening regulations, and just because people say regulations are killing jobs in America doesn't mean that's what will happen.  Regulations prevent poorer work conditions.  Regulations also prevent the sweat shops from forming within the USA.  The USA used to run on lower regulations, but a lot of horrible things happened as a result.  

Not all regulations prevent poorer working conditions. Why is it that when I go to major events in San Francisco, that I have to pay $10 for a sandwich and chips? Government regulations. Why is it that I have to pay $50 for a taxi from LAX to downtown LA for E3? Because the government decides the rates for taxis in the county.

Go look at regulatory practice in the 1960s. The regulations were much less stringent. Do you know what the result was? Economic disparity was at an all-time low. Today, its worse than ever, and part of it is because the government has provided huge discentitives for running a factory in the US.