By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 1 coming to PS3 (ME Trilogy)

I didn't get 2 or 3 because the series seems very story focused. Might pick it up now that I can get all 3

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network
Naum said:
Still won't save the the worst/lackluster ending of all time

This^

I have never felt so dissappointed. I realy really really did not like the ending at all :/. Its not even about the outcomes they offered after, its the fact the culminating plot went into a stupid direction. Reminds me so much of Star Ocean:Till the End of Time, at that very moment when they decide to throw that plot twist revealing......you are a 4D being ..... WTF?!

I was a big fan of ME1, but it feels kinda stupid to get it now knowing the whole plot anyway. Maybe if they sell a DL version on PSN by its self I will bite.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
Naum said:
Still won't save the the worst/lackluster ending of all time

This^

I have never felt so dissappointed. I realy really really did not like the ending at all :/. Its not even about the outcomes they offered after, its the fact the culminating plot went into a stupid direction. Reminds me so much of Star Ocean:Till the End of Time, at that very moment when they decide to throw that plot twist revealing......you are a 4D being ..... WTF?!

I was a big fan of ME1, but it feels kinda stupid to get it now knowing the whole plot anyway. Maybe if they sell a DL version on PSN by its self I will bite.

You're in luck; they will.

yum123 said:
that is awesome me1 trophy hunting time. platinum the series

LOL You said it.

Khuutra said:
adriane23 said:
Now just Vesperia is needed. I hope ME1 wasn't over-hyped by its fan base like No More Heroes was. Nintendo could've kept that shit.

ME1 is the worst game in the series in almost every way, but it's important for the contextualization of the universe and for understanding the growth of different characters throughout the series (Lair of the Shadow Broker won't be nearly as meaningful without seeing how Liara is in the first game; even though she's a bit of a throwaway in ME1, it contributes to her growth as the best-written character in the series)

It's not going to knock your socks off, but if you haven't played ME2 and ME3 then it's the perfect introduction to the universe

I honestly can't fathom it being worse than ME3 (For the conclusion and fake urgency alone), but I'm guessing you're talking about graphics, character design, and gameplay? Hopefully, it'll be free or discounted for PS+ members.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
adriane23 said:
Khuutra said:
adriane23 said:
Now just Vesperia is needed. I hope ME1 wasn't over-hyped by its fan base like No More Heroes was. Nintendo could've kept that shit.

ME1 is the worst game in the series in almost every way, but it's important for the contextualization of the universe and for understanding the growth of different characters throughout the series (Lair of the Shadow Broker won't be nearly as meaningful without seeing how Liara is in the first game; even though she's a bit of a throwaway in ME1, it contributes to her growth as the best-written character in the series)

It's not going to knock your socks off, but if you haven't played ME2 and ME3 then it's the perfect introduction to the universe

I honestly can't fathom it being worse than ME3 (For the conclusion and fake urgency alone), but I'm guessing you're talking about graphics, character design, and gameplay? Hopefully, it'll be free or discounted for PS+ members.

Mass Effect 1 is the polar opposite of ME3 for me. I view both games as flawed but one was a great game ME1. The other, ME3, was woefully average. The terribly executed ending was blessing in disguise for EA/Bioware. Everyone focused on the ending so intensely that they completely ignored the other glaring flaws in the game.

Limited dialog options: The neutral dialog option is all but eliminated in ME3. Not only that the game has features an incredible amount of auto dialog. It's a shame becuase the reputation system actually made roleplaying your Shepards personality much easier. Unfortunately ME3 lacks to choices to define Shepard as your own like it did in the first two titles.

ME2 Squadmates marginalized: Mordin and Legion matter. Everyone else ME2 doesn't. At least Grunt and Thane has legitmate reasons for not joining you. Can't say the same for everyone else. They give a senseless reason or no reason at all for sitting on the sidelines.

• Miranda's content is a redux of her ME2 loyalty quest. Her reasons for not joining Shepard, when Shepards also after Cerberus is BS. She was TIM's second in command, you don't recruit to help you try to figure out what Cerberus is up to? She doens't want to take you away from your mission, but she repeatedly messages you to come to Citadel. Which takes you away from your mission. Why? For help with tracking down her father, after telling you she'd take care of it on her own the first time you meet with her.
  • Jacob is completely out of character. Bioware even to managed to forget he's biotic. While he's running through that hail of bullets on Gellix, he forgets to throw up a barrier. He tells you that he can't come with you, that has to make sure the scientist and families are safe. So after they are safely hidden away at the Crucible project. He just hangs around Huerta memoriam. Bonus fail points for the how they handed his romance with femshep.
  • Samara actually says she's going to join you after Shepard helps her save Falere at the Ardat-Yakshi monastery.  When you meet her on the Citadel she says going to the front lines where she's needed "most".  Bullocks. Shepard fails, everyone dies. She's needed most on the Normandy. You know helping Shepard stop the Reapers.
  • Morinth just gets turned into a generic Banshee. What was the point of even making her recruitable in ME2.
  • Zaeed is taking any job he can get that will pit him agianst Cerberus. He sees Shepard is after Cerberus. So what does he do? Lean against the a crate on the Citadel repeating the same line of dialog over and over again.
  • Kasumi says she's not letting Shepard rope her into a suicide mission again. That would be nice...if that were true. She contacted Cerberus in ME2 to see why they were tracking her down. She then voluntarily signed up for the suicide mission in exchange for help with getting Keiji's graybox from Donovan Hock.

Side Quests: The side quest implemenation was poor. Shepard eavesdrops on people andyou get a quest a fetch quest and that's pretty much it. This ties back into the limited dialog wheel. In ME1 and ME2 you actually got to talk to NPCs, does some investigative dialog, and then you went or your quest. To top it off. Mass Effect 3's quest journal is atrocious. What make sit worse is that the first two games had a pretty good journal. In ME3, it journal often doesn't tell you where to go and worse i doesn't update as you complete steps of the quest.

Ashley Williams: This has nothing to do with whether you like her character or not. Her content was severely lacking. The first half of the game is fine. After the coup, she basically says "Hey Shepard" 90% of the time. Its' worse that ME2 Garrus  and he constant calibrating.

Javik: He was originally part of the core game and was stripped out of the game and turned into Day One DLC. I mean I know online passes piss people off but ME3 has multiplayer, what was the point of turning character so important the lore into an additional online pass. I know the reason was money but it doens't make it right.

Ah it's late. I have to get up early to go to work. Sorry for the incomplete rant.

Even though I have ME2 and 3 on PS3 I think I will get this. I played ME1 on PC and I think I'd quite like to steer Shepard through the whole ME story from go to woah. And get a platinum trophy for ME to boot. It also means I'll be able to finally get that online pass code for ME3 that I was never able to extract from the retailer or EA even though I bought ME3 new (the retailer didn't include the online pass code insert at the time I bought the game).

I think it's 75% likely at this stage.

Edit: Woah, just noticed  it'll be available standalone digitally on PSN. I think that's the way to go for me!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

adriane23 said:
Khuutra said:
adriane23 said:

I agree. In terms of RPG and story the first Mass Effect was by far the best. The third game added all the cosmetic details in the top third and first person shooters with a streamlined experience that wasnt near the quality of the first (before EA got their hands on the franchise). The second game was fairly in between focusing more on production value and action with a weaker RPG element than the first. Mass Effect 3 was the best Action/Shooter game but was far from the best RPG. Dragon Age suffered the same fate of streamlining with the dumbing down of the battle system and action based gameplay. I have no problem with an action based system, just dont overcasualize the game in the process. I know EA wants money but that was just wrong. The Witcher 2 and Demon/Dark Souls should serve to teach these companies how to make these fantasy RPG titles properly.

ME3 was the worst ME of them all, but was far superior to the offerings that other publishers have put out this year. The big surprise for me so far has been Dark Souls and Sleeping Dogs this year. All I have to say is wow to those games. I might do a thread on how Sleeping Dogs has destroyed my perception of the GTA franchise.

adriane23 said:

The script is worse, the character dialogue in particular is worse - I've covered this in other posts throughout the rest of the topic. Pretty much everything I care about in RPGs was at a baseline level in ME1.

Darc Requiem said:
adriane23 said:
Khuutra said:
adriane23 said:

Mass Effect 1 is the polar opposite of ME3 for me. I view both games as flawed but one was a great game ME1. The other, ME3, was woefully average. The terribly executed ending was blessing in disguise for EA/Bioware. Everyone focused on the ending so intensely that they completely ignored the other glaring flaws in the game.

Limited dialog options: The neutral dialog option is all but eliminated in ME3. Not only that the game has features an incredible amount of auto dialog. It's a shame becuase the reputation system actually made roleplaying your Shepards personality much easier. Unfortunately ME3 lacks to choices to define Shepard as your own like it did in the first two titles.

ME2 Squadmates marginalized: Mordin and Legion matter. Everyone else ME2 doesn't. At least Grunt and Thane has legitmate reasons for not joining you. Can't say the same for everyone else. They give a senseless reason or no reason at all for sitting on the sidelines.

• Miranda's content is a redux of her ME2 loyalty quest. Her reasons for not joining Shepard, when Shepards also after Cerberus is BS. She was TIM's second in command, you don't recruit to help you try to figure out what Cerberus is up to? She doens't want to take you away from your mission, but she repeatedly messages you to come to Citadel. Which takes you away from your mission. Why? For help with tracking down her father, after telling you she'd take care of it on her own the first time you meet with her.
  • Jacob is completely out of character. Bioware even to managed to forget he's biotic. While he's running through that hail of bullets on Gellix, he forgets to throw up a barrier. He tells you that he can't come with you, that has to make sure the scientist and families are safe. So after they are safely hidden away at the Crucible project. He just hangs around Huerta memoriam. Bonus fail points for the how they handed his romance with femshep.
  • Samara actually says she's going to join you after Shepard helps her save Falere at the Ardat-Yakshi monastery.  When you meet her on the Citadel she says going to the front lines where she's needed "most".  Bullocks. Shepard fails, everyone dies. She's needed most on the Normandy. You know helping Shepard stop the Reapers.
  • Morinth just gets turned into a generic Banshee. What was the point of even making her recruitable in ME2.
  • Zaeed is taking any job he can get that will pit him agianst Cerberus. He sees Shepard is after Cerberus. So what does he do? Lean against the a crate on the Citadel repeating the same line of dialog over and over again.
  • Kasumi says she's not letting Shepard rope her into a suicide mission again. That would be nice...if that were true. She contacted Cerberus in ME2 to see why they were tracking her down. She then voluntarily signed up for the suicide mission in exchange for help with getting Keiji's graybox from Donovan Hock.

Side Quests: The side quest implemenation was poor. Shepard eavesdrops on people andyou get a quest a fetch quest and that's pretty much it. This ties back into the limited dialog wheel. In ME1 and ME2 you actually got to talk to NPCs, does some investigative dialog, and then you went or your quest. To top it off. Mass Effect 3's quest journal is atrocious. What make sit worse is that the first two games had a pretty good journal. In ME3, it journal often doesn't tell you where to go and worse i doesn't update as you complete steps of the quest.

Ashley Williams: This has nothing to do with whether you like her character or not. Her content was severely lacking. The first half of the game is fine. After the coup, she basically says "Hey Shepard" 90% of the time. Its' worse that ME2 Garrus  and he constant calibrating.

Javik: He was originally part of the core game and was stripped out of the game and turned into Day One DLC. I mean I know online passes piss people off but ME3 has multiplayer, what was the point of turning character so important the lore into an additional online pass. I know the reason was money but it doens't make it right.

Ah it's late. I have to get up early to go to work. Sorry for the incomplete rant.

QFT.