By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 1 coming to PS3 (ME Trilogy)

does this news confirm the Nintendo vs. EA affair?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

Looking at the tone of my previous posts, it looks like I don't like ME1.

This is not the case. ME1 is really a very good game, even great. I enjoyed it immensely, and it's one of my favorite RPGs in a long time.

But the perspective of time and superior sequels really highlights the way in which the game fell short, and the idyllic way that a lot of people see the game doesn't make a ton of sense to me

My feelings exactly. I still have fond memories of it, but comparing it to the sequels, Jesus fuck, it isn't even close. I get some of the angst as it pertains to the "it's not an RPG anymore!" complaint, but only if your definition of RPG is any game with a cumbersome inventory system, but the rest is completely lost on me.

You'd think that they would have ported ME1 to the PS3 before they ported ME2 and 3 but EA's decisions aren't always the most logical. XD

DieAppleDie said:
does this news confirm the Nintendo vs. EA affair?

Pretty much.

Someone at either EA or BioWare is out to get Nintendo.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Khuutra said:

The krogan, primarily through Grunt and Wrex, evolved beyond the point of essentially being klingon with ennui problems; we saw them as deeply self-destructive, almost savagely so, and their cruelty to each other and to other races was made much more clear in the second game.

The salarians went from being the smart ones to being products of a culture of meddlers whose short lifespans are reflected in shortened perspectives, where consequences in the long-term are necessarily viewed through the lens of their own superiority. Their hubris becomes very real in ME2 and ME3, where we see that they are repeating the mistakes of the krogan rebellions over and over, where their involvement in any situation translates to tautological expertise on a given subject, which necessarily grants them authority. They evolved into the very embodiment of cultural colonialism, operating on the divine mandate of their ideas of progress.

The turians are essentially space-Spartans, but at least they aren't all space-Spartans, and even that's a site better than a race of space-Cops

Asari were definitely the most improved, though. God, the tone that they were treated with in the first game - I appreciate it, you know? I do. I like that they're a send-up to the sexy space babes of the 40s-70s. God bless Karpyshyn for that particular bit of cultural nostalgia. But when it translated into specific characters it kind of all fell apart, didn't it? When Benezia is the best-written character of a given species - and I like Benezia, don't get me wrong - you have a problem.

And I just hate that particular conversation, with the Japanese honorifics, on a lot of levels. It's awkwardly written and makes no sense in the context of a universe with universal translators

I hear what you're saying, but I maintain each of those were simply better execution, not better worldbuilding. To wit:

We've known the Krogan are deeply destructive, even towards each other. We know they almost committed racial suicide, and that the number one cause of death for Krogans was violence, even before they met other races. Once the Krogan Rebellions happened, it became clear that they were more than willing to wipe out everyone else in the name of their own expansion. We were told time and again that they're feared and despised throughout the galaxy for being barely above rabid dogs, and that many people think the Genophage was too merciful. Shoot, our introduction to one of the most level-headed Krogans in the galaxy, Wrex, has him getting cornered by security officials due to his vicious reputation and responding by threatening them with 'great bodily harm.' He then follows up by assassinating someone.

Again, he's the Krogan paragon. Relatively speaking.

As for the Salarians, the first game also emphasized that they operated on the basis of meddling via commando strikes, that they use their superior scientific knowledge to impose their will on other races, that they're patronizing of other races, and that they think they're entitled to make decisions for others. First they raise the Krogan to be their meatshields, then they launched a preemptive strike against said Krogan, then they raised the Turians as their new meatshields, then they created the Genophage.

Even in ME 1, they're still using their STG groups to do the same things they'll do in later games. Said STG group was openly the inspiration for Spectres, i.e. individuals who are above the law and who possess the skill and authority to do whatever they think is best. Their actions in the next two games shouldn't be unanticpated: I saw them as being their natural reaction to events, based on the worldbuilding done in ME 1.

The Turians not being uniform in their beliefs was also known. Garret is a prime example. Although maybe you forgot that because 1 made him. So. Damn. Boring. I'd whine that they made his character do a 180 in the later games, but he was so bad in the first game, and so awesome in the later ones, that I'll cheerfully go along with it.

As for that conversation, I admit I don't really remember it. Noveria in general kind of bored me though, so that might be why. And I have to say that I never liked the Asari in 1. I get what they were going for, but I never really appreciated it, especially for a race that's supposed to be one of the pillars of the galaxy. I'm glad they moved past that.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

I hear what you're saying, but I maintain each of those were simply better execution, not better worldbuilding. To wit:

We've known the Krogan are deeply destructive, even towards each other. We know they almost committed racial suicide, and that the number one cause of death for Krogans was violence, even before they met other races. Once the Krogan Rebellions happened, it became clear that they were more than willing to wipe out everyone else in the name of their own expansion. We were told time and again that they're feared and despised throughout the galaxy for being barely above rabid dogs, and that many people think the Genophage was too merciful. Shoot, our introduction to one of the most level-headed Krogans in the galaxy, Wrex, has him getting cornered by security officials due to his vicious reputation and responding by threatening them with 'great bodily harm.' He then follows up by assassinating someone.

Again, he's the Krogan paragon. Relatively speaking.

As for the Salarians, the first game also emphasized that they operated on the basis of meddling via commando strikes, that they use their superior scientific knowledge to impose their will on other races, that they're patronizing of other races, and that they think they're entitled to make decisions for others. First they raise the Krogan to be their meatshields, then they launched a preemptive strike against said Krogan, then they raised the Turians as their new meatshields, then they created the Genophage.

Even in ME 1, they're still using their STG groups to do the same things they'll do in later games. Said STG group was openly the inspiration for Spectres, i.e. individuals who are above the law and who possess the skill and authority to do whatever they think is best. Their actions in the next two games shouldn't be unanticpated: I saw them as being their natural reaction to events, based on the worldbuilding done in ME 1.

The Turians not being uniform in their beliefs was also known. Garret is a prime example. Although maybe you forgot that because 1 made him. So. Damn. Boring. I'd whine that they made his character do a 180 in the later games, but he was so bad in the first game, and so awesome in the later ones, that I'll cheerfully go along with it.

As for that conversation, I admit I don't really remember it. Noveria in general kind of bored me though, so that might be why. And I have to say that I never liked the Asari in 1. I get what they were going for, but I never really appreciated it, especially for a race that's supposed to be one of the pillars of the galaxy. I'm glad they moved past that.

I posit that writing and presentation of ideas, the form that the presentation takes and how effectively those ideas are communicated, is an aspect of worldbuilding. Worldbuilding is more than the sense of being in a world, and I hold that the way we interact with the various races in ME2 and ME3 recontextualizes our interactions with them in ME1 - the Consort is actually kind of sinister when I go back to her now, when she was just Super Hooker Number 1 previously.

The codex, by itself, isn't proper worldbuilding; certainly it's all there, all the things we've talked about, to be read between the lines. However, as you mentioned, showing instead of telling is better; that's part of worldbuilding too.

Yeah Noveria in general, man. At least Lorik Quinn is there, he's still cool.

Riachu said:
You'd think that they would have ported ME1 to the PS3 before they ported ME2 and 3 but EA's decisions aren't always the most logical. XD

There must have been some legal obstacles for ME1, since it was initially published by Microsoft. I do wonder how they've got past those even now.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I honestly don`t undertand why this trilogy isn`t coming to Wii U. Can you imagine what the impact would be of a trilogy in Wii U`s launch? 3 games for the same price as any other game would make people more willing to buy it since it would provide a bigger value for the same money.

I don`t know if a port, even if it comes out at a later date, will make an impact.

Good for PS3 owners. Despite its flaws, i still think the first Mass Effect is the best in the series! Its the most RPG out of all of them. Where's the WiiU version?

WiiU Network ID:  the_Ultros

PSN: Anthaleigh

Xbxox Live:  campblood1980

badgenome said:
Khuutra said:

We all look back at Garrus and think "He's so cool and funny, what a bad-ass" but none of that showed in ME1 at all

Haha, yeah. He was such an earnest, well-meaning, stick-in-the-mud dorkball in ME1. My heart leapt when I caught up to him in ME2 and he had become the turian I always knew he could be.

ME1 laid a great foundation for things to come, but I really don't see how anyone can really think it's the best of the series in either writing (hey my names ashley n i hate aleins lolz! yay humies!) or gameplay (a footshot is just as good as a headshot!).

If I did have to give an area in which Mass Effect was stronger, it would be setting and background. Sovereign was a genuinely terrifying enemy, in a way that Harbinger the Glowing Collector wasn't, and that pathetic Kai Leng definitely wasn't. You had a much greater sense of story progression than in ME2, which was basically "Collectors are attacking! Go hire people!" for the entire game. The individual cooldowns made it feel like more of an RPG and less of an action game. There was a huge variety of environments and even some free roaming with the Mako. And then part of it is just nostalgia.

I love ME1. ME2 is the more enjoyable game, in my opinion, and has better combat, but it didn't really evoke the same emotion in me as ME1 and ME3 did. I think ME3 is the best in the series because it took bits of both (add in the Mako, more teammates and a sensible ending at launch, and it would have been near-perfect for me).

EDIT: Also, this music track:

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective