By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Retro Studios Working on WiiU Engines

Considering Retro's skill with making games look beautiful, them making an engine is like, friggin' amazing.

They should also put those magic fingers to good use and whip us up a new F-Zero, though; or a more western-like new IP for Nintendo. I'm up for anything from them, really.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Around the Network

Has Nintendo actually ever released an engine before?

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

osed125 said:

If this is true who knows how long they've been working on those engines, my guess it's that they most have been working for at least 2 years.

After doing some research I found that big game engines like CryEngine or Unreal Engine take 2-3 years to make (with a huge team, probably like 50 or more people), some may take longer, going by this I assume we should at least see some screenshots relatively soon.

I would be so glad if you were right, I remain optimistic.

I'm sure a new Metroid is in development by someone over at Nintendo but just not Retro. I think Retro is going to come with a new IP, as they did all they wanted to do with Metroid, and its time they tried something new.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

osed125 said:
happydolphin said:
I agree with FrancisNobleman, Nintendo needs to showcase the power of the WiU close to launch to secure the graphically-interested demographic. This work by Retro is fantastic but it is stalling the WiiU's success. The sooner it comes out, the better, though I agree it shouldn't be hurried, as an engine I'm guessing is not something that can be easily patched after the fact.

If this is true who knows how long they've been working on those engines, my guess it's that they most have been working for at least 2 years.

After doing some research I found that big game engines like CryEngine or Unreal Engine take 2-3 years to make (with a huge team, probably like 50 or more people), some may take longer, going by this I assume we should at least see some screenshots relatively soon.

While I don't doubt that the game engines are developed over 2 or 3 years, I would be surprised if the core team was (much) larger than 10 people throughout most of the project. They are huge pieces of software, most often measured in the hundreds of thousands of lines of code, but they're not that big. Consider that the Quake 3 engine had 230,000 lines of code, and at 50 people working for 3 years this would work out to about 7 lines of code a day; and a good programmer (depending on the language and the difficulty of the problem) can probably write between 100 and 1000 lines of code a day.

Around the Network

Retro has always impressed me. Metroid Prime amazed me just as much as Halo 2 did back then. Retro definitely has a talent for building efficient game engines while at the same time crafting a beautiful aesthetic style.

I really hope we get from Retro a true successor to the Metroid Prime games. I'm still waiting for a main series Mario, Zelda or Metroid to convince me to jump on board the Wii U train.

HappySqurriel said:

While I don't doubt that the game engines are developed over 2 or 3 years, I would be surprised if the core team was (much) larger than 10 people throughout most of the project. They are huge pieces of software, most often measured in the hundreds of thousands of lines of code, but they're not that big. Consider that the Quake 3 engine had 230,000 lines of code, and at 50 people working for 3 years this would work out to about 7 lines of code a day; and a good programmer (depending on the language and the difficulty of the problem) can probably write between 100 and 1000 lines of code a day.

There's more of software developing than just pure code, there are interfaces, databases (which by itself can be pretty complex), manuals and other stuff. Measuring the time of a software develop time by how many lines of codes you can do in 1 day it's not pretty accurate, specially in a game engine.

Nintendo and PC gamer

but they said they re working on a game that everybody wants! so Metroid! shush! you all wont this!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Imagine if both rumors of Retro working on a new Zelda / Star Fox / F Zero and an all-new engine for Wii U turn out to be true... then imagine any one of those franchises running on something akin to the Unreal engine.

*craps pants*

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

osed125 said:
HappySqurriel said:

There's more of software developing than just pure code, there are interfaces, databases (which by itself can be pretty complex), manuals and other stuff. Measuring the time of a software develop time by how many lines of codes you can do in 1 day it's not pretty accurate, specially in a game engine.

Don't forget the time to compile the code.