By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Retro Studios Working on WiiU Engines

F0X said:
happydolphin said:
jamesmarkus87 said:
PLEASE let it be a new Metroid Prime trilogy. The cliffhanger at the end of Corruption has left me hungry for more of my favourite female bounty hunter. Nintendo handing the Metroid franchise over to Team Ninja was a stupid move, to say the least.

Retro didn't want to work on it anymore though. I have no quote, but that's what I remember reading.

Yep. The Prime trilogy was meant to stay a trilogy, though Retro didn't preclude the possibility of coming back to the series.

Given the excellent sales of DKCR, and it's general excellence, I feel as if another Donkey Kong game might be the best possibility. However, Nintendo supposedly doesn't have plans for a sequel (as of early 2011).

I've heard this thrown around a bit before and although I can't remember where it's from I'm almost certain it was in the context of them being finished with Metroid Prime, but that definitely doesn't rule out them returning to the Metroid franchise and I'm almost certain that was specifically stated in the same article.

Around the Network
osed125 said:

If this rumor is indeed true and Retro have actually impressed Epic Games then this could be really good news for the Wii U, I just hope they are working on game engines and games at the same time, I don't want Retro to work on game engines alone, I want them to make Star Fox, F-Zero or a new IP.

Oh, I'm sure they are working on a game, after all the level designers, artists, writers and other staff at Retro must be doing something. And there's not better way to find out if the engine works than making use of it.

osed125 said:

After doing some research I found that big game engines like CryEngine or Unreal Engine take 2-3 years to make (with a huge team, probably like 50 or more people), some may take longer, going by this I assume we should at least see some screenshots relatively soon.

There is a difference between those engines and the ones that Retro or other 1st party studios like NaughtyDog make: they one have to work for 1 console.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

c03n3nj0 said:
Has Nintendo actually ever released an engine before?

They don't often use the same game engine between games but have done so a few times recently.  Typically, each game has a game engine specifically built for it.

Regarding this specific rumor, I can't dismiss it out right given that the Metroid Prime engine itself is a Retro modified version of Unreal Engine 2.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

hsrob said:
F0X said:
happydolphin said:

Retro didn't want to work on it anymore though. I have no quote, but that's what I remember reading.

Yep. The Prime trilogy was meant to stay a trilogy, though Retro didn't preclude the possibility of coming back to the series.

Given the excellent sales of DKCR, and it's general excellence, I feel as if another Donkey Kong game might be the best possibility. However, Nintendo supposedly doesn't have plans for a sequel (as of early 2011).

I've heard this thrown around a bit before and although I can't remember where it's from I'm almost certain it was in the context of them being finished with Metroid Prime, but that definitely doesn't rule out them returning to the Metroid franchise and I'm almost certain that was specifically stated in the same article.

I also remember Retro suggesting that a return to Metroid may be inevitable, as it is the franchise that originally propelled them to sucess. However, still no guarentee that we'll see another Metroid game from them in the near future.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Viper1 said:
c03n3nj0 said:

They don't often use the same game engine between games but have done so a few times recently.  Typically, each game has a game engine specifically built for it.

Regarding this specific rumor, I can't dismiss it out right given that the Metroid Prime engine itself is a Retro modified version of Unreal Engine 2.

A very, very heavily modified version of UE2, to the point where one could hardly recognize the original engine.

Now imagine Retro getting its mitts on UE3... if this isn't actually what Retro has been doing in the first place.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
c03n3nj0 said:

I think this is a rumor which begun with people implyinf they have found tidbits of UE2 source code on MP1. But it was really vague, don't know if it was ever confirmed.

FrancisNobleman said:
Viper1 said:
c03n3nj0 said:

I think this is a rumor which begun with people implyinf they have found tidbits of UE2 source code on MP1. But it was really vague, don't know if it was ever confirmed.

In theory, Retro started development using Unreal Engine 2 but later on heavily modified the engine so that only a few notable features remained. Couldn't hardly call it UE2 anymore after all the changes, I presume.

F0X said:
FrancisNobleman said:
Viper1 said:
c03n3nj0 said:

In theory, Retro started development using Unreal Engine 2 but later on heavily modified the engine so that only a few notable features remained. Couldn't hardly call it UE2 anymore after all the changes, I presume.

Which is a good thing.   If they can modify UE 2 that well, imagine how good they could modify UE 3.9?  or UE 4?

Viper1 said:
F0X said:
FrancisNobleman said:
Viper1 said:
c03n3nj0 said:

Which is a good thing.   If they can modify UE 2 that well, imagine how good they could modify UE 3.9?  or UE 4?

Who says this isn't what Retro is working on? The rumor about Retro impressing Epic Games... may be close to the truth,

F0X said:
Viper1 said:
F0X said:
FrancisNobleman said:
Viper1 said:
c03n3nj0 said:

Who says this isn't what Retro is working on? The rumor about Retro impressing Epic Games... may be close to the truth,

Tha was my point with my original post about MP using a modified UE2.