By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How would voter ID laws prevent non-U.S citizens from voting?

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Racism

It's days are numbered in Pennsylvania, hopefully.

It's racist to not let illegal aliens vote?

Voter ID laws in general, not their ability or inability to prevent illegal aliens from voting.

You keep saying this... yet not even you believe it on a good day when your being less partisian.  (You've admitted it's not racist in many threads.)

Explain how Voter ID laws are more racist then voting locations.

Afterall, not every voting location is within walking distance.   Therefore people who need to catch a bus or drive a car there are paying an illegal poll tax right?   And since minorities are more likely to be poor, this puts a higher burden on them....

So racist right?  

Actually I guess that makes every buisness that doesn't have a location within walking distance of evebrody racist.

Are taxes on cigarrettes racist because most minorities groups are more likely to smoke?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Because democrats are more likely to gain from voter fraud mostly.

The claim is... it's racist because if you aren't white your more likely to be poor.   Therefore you are working and have less time to spend getting an ID... and you have to pay money to take the bus to go to the ID places in some areas.   Making it a tax on voting equal to the poll taxes they had in the south to prevent black slaves from voting.

Or something....

doesn't every us-citizen have an id card? here in germany everyone has to have one. if you are poor, rich, black, white you have that card as german.

Kasz216 said:
Adinnieken said:
The problem with voter ID fraud is that it doesn't exist as widespread as people believe.

In actuality, voter ID fraud occurs 1/10th of 1% of the time. If 50% of the US population voted, that would mean 15,000 instances of voter ID fraud happened. That's 300 instances in every state.

The question is, should we enact laws that disenfranchise some voters because we're afraid of an election hinging on 300 votes?

Maybe what needs to happen is we look at what each state does, identify what works well and what doesn't, and change laws nationally to fix inequities. But right now, the biggest problem with voter ID fraud is the perception that it happens far more often than reality has proven it does.

No.  The problem with voter fraud is that nobody tracks it.

As shown by that video just showed 100 random cases in one county, in one state when someone bothered to look.  Just by looking at people who got dismissed from jury duty by saying they weren't a US citizen.

Voter fraud is hard to catch, hard to track, and largely seen as not worth the time checking... because your spending thousands on one vote.

Voter fraud statistics like yours are fraudelent.

My statistic is based on data from a report that Republicans did.  In an effort to prove how prevalent voter ID fraud is, a Republican group commissioned a report on voter ID fraud.  The results were less damning than they believed it would have been.

Just because voter ID fraud is possible, doesn't mean it happens as much as is possible.  Credit card fraud is very difficult, but happens more prevalently because there is a monetary benefit to committing credit card fraud.  There isn't generally a monetary benefit to voter fraud, and when there is, it can happen.  There were several instances of voter ID fraud with individuals who were compensated for registering voters.  Outside of that, it doesn't happen as much as the perception of it happening. 

As an example, there was actually more voter ID fraud by Republicans in Ohio during the last two elections, despite the fact that Republicans have been pushing for voter ID laws that have a greater impact on voters identified with Democrats. 

If you talked to Republicans, their perception is akin to what happened in Russia where a greater percentage of people voted for Putin than existed in the polling place.  The reality is that it actually happens much less than the perception.  Significantly less.

Again, I think there is an inequity in the laws each state maintains and this inequity may create the the perception that is more possible in some states than in others.  So, in my opinion we should be working to fix the inequities first before we enact new laws.

Adinnieken said:
Kasz216 said:
Adinnieken said:
The problem with voter ID fraud is that it doesn't exist as widespread as people believe.

In actuality, voter ID fraud occurs 1/10th of 1% of the time. If 50% of the US population voted, that would mean 15,000 instances of voter ID fraud happened. That's 300 instances in every state.

The question is, should we enact laws that disenfranchise some voters because we're afraid of an election hinging on 300 votes?

Maybe what needs to happen is we look at what each state does, identify what works well and what doesn't, and change laws nationally to fix inequities. But right now, the biggest problem with voter ID fraud is the perception that it happens far more often than reality has proven it does.

No.  The problem with voter fraud is that nobody tracks it.

As shown by that video just showed 100 random cases in one county, in one state when someone bothered to look.  Just by looking at people who got dismissed from jury duty by saying they weren't a US citizen.

Voter fraud is hard to catch, hard to track, and largely seen as not worth the time checking... because your spending thousands on one vote.

Voter fraud statistics like yours are fraudelent.

My statistic is based on data from a report that Republicans did.  In an effort to prove how prevalent voter ID fraud is, a Republican group commissioned a report on voter ID fraud.  The results were less damning than they believed it would have been.

Just because voter ID fraud is possible, doesn't mean it happens as much as is possible.  Credit card fraud is very difficult, but happens more prevalently because there is a monetary benefit to committing credit card fraud.  There isn't generally a monetary benefit to voter fraud, and when there is, it can happen.  There were several instances of voter ID fraud with individuals who were compensated for registering voters.  Outside of that, it doesn't happen as much as the perception of it happening. 

As an example, there was actually more voter ID fraud by Republicans in Ohio during the last two elections, despite the fact that Republicans have been pushing for voter ID laws that have a greater impact on voters identified with Democrats. 

If you talked to Republicans, their perception is akin to what happened in Russia where a greater percentage of people voted for Putin than existed in the polling place.  The reality is that it actually happens much less than the perception.  Significantly less.

Again, I think there is an inequity in the laws each state maintains and this inequity may create the the perception that is more possible in some states than in others.  So, in my opinion we should be working to fix the inequities first before we enact new laws.

Said report wasn't about all kinds of voter fraud as far as I recall... nor did they use the method above that found a number that would far outstripe that listed.

Also saying we should fix some laws, because other laws have problems is... well stupid.

As for the more republicans committing fraud thing?   Good, show that to the democratic politicians, and maybe they will stop making extremely stupid arguements for why we shouldn't have cheap effective voter ID laws...

Which a majority of the country wants.   Including a majority of democrats.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Racism

Voter ID laws in general, not their ability or inability to prevent illegal aliens from voting.

You keep saying this... yet not even you believe it on a good day when your being less partisian.  (You've admitted it's not racist in many threads.)

Afterall, not every voting location is within walking distance.   Therefore people who need to catch a bus or drive a car there are paying an illegal poll tax right?   And since minorities are more likely to be poor, this puts a higher burden on them....

So racist right?  

Actually I guess that makes every buisness that doesn't have a location within walking distance of evebrody racist.

Are taxes on cigarrettes racist because most minorities groups are more likely to smoke?

Racism i'm using as a stand-in term for various negative "isms" that are going on in here.

For one, the Republicans *know* that the only reason they have a shot in Pennsylvania this time around is because of the Voter ID law (Romney's been saying this). That right there should tell you something.

Secondly, when the burden of proof is placed on the state to prove that they can get everyone an ID in time for the election, the state generally fails the test. The only reason these laws have been holding up in court is that the burden of proof is on the plaintiff for some reason.

Before this Voter ID nonsense, absentee balloting was the easy way for those without access to get access such that getting to the polling place wasn't even a thing. Now, of course, you need a birth certificate...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Racism

So racist right?  

Racism i'm using as a stand-in term for various negative "isms" that are going on in here.

For one, the Republicans *know* that the only reason they have a shot in Pennsylvania this time around is because of the Voter ID law (Romney's been saying this). That right there should tell you something.

Secondly, when the burden of proof is placed on the state to prove that they can get everyone an ID in time for the election, the state generally fails the test. The only reason these laws have been holding up in court is that the burden of proof is on the plaintiff for some reason.

Before this Voter ID nonsense, absentee balloting was the easy way for those without access to get access such that getting to the polling place wasn't even a thing. Now, of course, you need a birth certificate...

So in otherwords.   You have no problems with voter ID laws, so long as they effect the next election and not this one?

Also, all that statement tells me is that Republcians think democrats are more likely to comit voter fraud.

Which, I can see why, the big cases always seemingly having to do with Democratic voter registration instituions and democrats being agaisnt basic common sense government issued photo ID voting laws that 74% of the country supports.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

So in otherwords.   You have no problems with voter ID laws, so long as they effect the next election and not this one?

Also, all that statement tells me is that Republcians think democrats are more likely to comit voter fraud.

Which, I can see why, the big cases always seemingly having to do with Democratic voter registration instituions and democrats being agaisnt basic common sense government issued photo ID voting laws that 74% of the country supports.

In part. It may well be that our state courts rule the law is constitutionally valid, but has to be suspended for this election because it will be impossible for PENNDOT or the State Department to get everyone supplied in time.

I am opposed to the laws because their intent is malevolent, and because the laws are unfeasible against the realities of the day (which the people proposing these laws *know,* hence the malevolence).

At the end of the day i do support some sort of national ID system, something that could serve as an all-in-one or something

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

crissindahouse said:
Kasz216 said:
crissindahouse said:
every citizen who is allowed to vote could get a mail with information when and where the citizen can vote on election day weeks before election day. when this person wants to vote, this person has to show some people sitting at the polling place his id, they check in a list if he is in the list and allow him to vote then and his name will get crossed in the list so he can't come a second time (but i believe that#s already not possible right?)

that system works pretty easy, don't know why you have problems with illegal votes in usa. only people allowed to vote even get the mail, if you go to vote then or not is your problem.

It's possible, it's just democrats think it's racist.

Well... except in places like Deleware where Democrats passed the exact same damn law.

why is that racist? they don't even have to show anything except name and address on the id (not sure how this thing looks in usa), if they are on the list the people have in front of them they can vote, if they aren't on the list, they can't vote.

is it allowed for some non-us citizens to vote in usa? if not, there should be the same on everyone id who can vote right? so that can't be racist then because there can't be something else as "nationality: usa" and if there are some non-us citizens allowed to vote, maybe these id's should get the nationality on the backside so you only have to show the front site with your name and address and the rest which could be racist is on the side no one will see.

Most of the states here in the usa are set up just like you describe.  However, in some states, most of which seem to be battleground states, a person just needs to register in advance, which can be done through mail or internet, and show up and tell the polling attendent who they are.  The polling attendant then finds them on the list and checks them off.

Still kind of hard to rip off a system like that.   However, imagine if you really wanted some politician to win and you vote early in the day.  When you get home, you find out that your neighbor isnt going to vote, so you head back and say that you are the neighbor and you get to vote again.  They can also lie about their citizenship and register to vote that way if they arent legal citizens.  There is no check on the accuracy of peoples claims to citenship.

Requiring an id is a common sense solution to close an obvious risk of fraud.  The majority of the states in the country have laws just like this.  It is common sense.  The problems people have arent with the law, it is with the politics.  Republicans and Democrats have politicized the laws so that now both sides are getting all riled up over what is actually a simple logical law.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

In part. It may well be that our state courts rule the law is constitutionally valid, but has to be suspended for this election because it will be impossible for PENNDOT or the State Department to get everyone supplied in time.

I am opposed to the laws because their intent is malevolent, and because the laws are unfeasible against the realities of the day (which the people proposing these laws *know,* hence the malevolence).

At the end of the day i do support some sort of national ID system, something that could serve as an all-in-one or something

Fair enough.

While I support the voter ID laws, I don't think they should apply until the next election.

I don't think ANY voter law should apply to the election most current.

Also, I don't really see the laws as manevelont in nature... considering that Voter Id laws used to be a bi-partisian issue that democrats backed away from.  That it might be that it will "deliver romney penslyvania" likely does in fact mean by stopping rampant voter fraud.

The most recent voter fraud issues have pretty much all dealt with Acorn signing up false people, and democratic leaning places ending up with more votes then registered voters.

That's why the politics of it break down like it does.

Afterall, why did Delware post voter ID laws despite being heavily democratic?

Likely because it's something practically eveyrone wants, and voter fraud won't help there.

Kasz216 said:

What?

I just explained how a voter ID would stop people who registered illegaly!

People register illegally because you don't have to show proof you are a US citizen.

The strict voter ID laws require you to show US Citizenship to prove who you are...

Here... let me give you an example.

Say Wayne Gretzky flys down to florida from canada and registers to vote.  He checks the box saying he's a US Citizen.

Now Wayne Gretzky goes to vote on voting day....

To vote... Wayne Gretzky will need to prove he's Wayne Gretzky by showing a Drivers liscense or State ID that

To get a State Picture ID,  Wayne Gretzky will need to provide his birth certificate and social security number.

'

Wayne Gretzky will NOT be able to produce either of these.

So despite registering illegally Wayne Gretzky can't vote, because he can't prove he's Wayne Gretzky.

An ID isn't going to catch this.  An ID is used to identify a person as who they are.  If the registration system is sloppy, as is seen with the report I posted, then having the person present an ID isn't going to catch it.  A problem that happens when you end up tightening up the process to screen out citizenship, is that the ID card being used, is it ends up being equivalent to a national ID card, which then ends up bringing up the line: "Papers please!".

In short, just slapping an ID on top of things doesn't stop where the bulk of fraud can happen when voting.  And the fraud is actually you impersonating someone else who is registered.  It also serves nicely to block people who don't actually have IDs.  And how exactly does having an ID or not actually screen fraud in the area of absentee balloting?