By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How would voter ID laws prevent non-U.S citizens from voting?

every citizen who is allowed to vote could get a mail with information when and where the citizen can vote on election day weeks before election day. when this person wants to vote, this person has to show some people sitting at the polling place his id, they check in a list if he is in the list and allow him to vote then and his name will get crossed in the list so he can't come a second time (but i believe that#s already not possible right?)

that system works pretty easy, don't know why you have problems with illegal votes in usa. only people allowed to vote even get the mail, if you go to vote then or not is your problem.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
crissindahouse said:

how does this even work in usa? can't only people vote in usa who get an "invite" per mail from the government/city/state some weeks before election day?

What generally happens in the USA... which varies by state is... but generally.

You register to vote at age 18.  (Or whenever you want)  You check a box claiming your a US citizen. (Nobody checks if your telling the truth.)   You are assigned a polling place.

Then on election day, you go to your polling place.   Say your name.(or somebody elses)   They give you a ballot and you vote.

Anytime you move you reregister to get your new polling place.   That's pretty much it.

i wonder why you have to register to vote? i mean, i don't get why you even have to do that? why doesn't your city send every person allowed to vote a mail to remember them that they can vote and only these person can vote then?

crissindahouse said:
every citizen who is allowed to vote could get a mail with information when and where the citizen can vote on election day weeks before election day. when this person wants to vote, this person has to show some people sitting at the polling place his id, they check in a list if he is in the list and allow him to vote then and his name will get crossed in the list so he can't come a second time (but i believe that#s already not possible right?)

that system works pretty easy, don't know why you have problems with illegal votes in usa. only people allowed to vote even get the mail, if you go to vote then or not is your problem.

It's possible, it's just democrats think it's racist.

Well... except in places like Deleware where Democrats passed the exact same damn law.

Kasz216 said:
crissindahouse said:

Well... except in places like Deleware where Democrats passed the exact same damn law.

why is that racist? they don't even have to show anything except name and address on the id (not sure how this thing looks in usa), if they are on the list the people have in front of them they can vote, if they aren't on the list, they can't vote.

is it allowed for some non-us citizens to vote in usa? if not, there should be the same on everyone id who can vote right? so that can't be racist then because there can't be something else as "nationality: usa" and if there are some non-us citizens allowed to vote, maybe these id's should get the nationality on the backside so you only have to show the front site with your name and address and the rest which could be racist is on the side no one will see.

The problem with voter ID fraud is that it doesn't exist as widespread as people believe.

In actuality, voter ID fraud occurs 1/10th of 1% of the time. If 50% of the US population voted, that would mean 15,000 instances of voter ID fraud happened. That's 300 instances in every state.

The question is, should we enact laws that disenfranchise some voters because we're afraid of an election hinging on 300 votes?

Maybe what needs to happen is we look at what each state does, identify what works well and what doesn't, and change laws nationally to fix inequities. But right now, the biggest problem with voter ID fraud is the perception that it happens far more often than reality has proven it does.

Around the Network

That is so weird! So, in some states I could vote if I register? Even if I'm not a USA citizen???? They should definitely do something about it.

Here in Mexico we have something called credencial para votar (voting ID). To get it, you go to a module with your birth certificate or citizenship card and you get it. The day of the elections you search your ballot on the internet or newspaper. You go to the ballot, give them your ID, and they cross your name from the list. Thats it, is not really complicated at all. If you kove, you have to issue a new ID.

Adinnieken said:
The problem with voter ID fraud is that it doesn't exist as widespread as people believe.

In actuality, voter ID fraud occurs 1/10th of 1% of the time. If 50% of the US population voted, that would mean 15,000 instances of voter ID fraud happened. That's 300 instances in every state.

The question is, should we enact laws that disenfranchise some voters because we're afraid of an election hinging on 300 votes?

Maybe what needs to happen is we look at what each state does, identify what works well and what doesn't, and change laws nationally to fix inequities. But right now, the biggest problem with voter ID fraud is the perception that it happens far more often than reality has proven it does.

No.  The problem with voter fraud is that nobody tracks it.

As shown by that video just showed 100 random cases in one county, in one state when someone bothered to look.  Just by looking at people who got dismissed from jury duty by saying they weren't a US citizen.

Voter fraud is hard to catch, hard to track, and largely seen as not worth the time checking... because your spending thousands on one vote.

Voter fraud statistics like yours are fraudelent.

crissindahouse said:
Kasz216 said:
crissindahouse said:

why is that racist?

Because democrats are more likely to gain from voter fraud mostly.

The claim is... it's racist because if you aren't white your more likely to be poor.   Therefore you are working and have less time to spend getting an ID... and you have to pay money to take the bus to go to the ID places in some areas.   Making it a tax on voting equal to the poll taxes they had in the south to prevent black slaves from voting.

Or something....

In my state, you receive a voter ID card. It's a non-photo ID that is sent by the city, village, or township clerk that indicates your polling place, and provides a place for you to sign.

In order to get a voter ID card, you must provide some evidence that you live at that residence. Either a drivers license, State ID, rent receipt, or a utility bill.

The polling place then has a voter role, which includes your name and address.

When you go to vote you attest to your identity (you sign a tear-off card at the bottom of your ballot), hand the card to the poll worker, and they verify your signature.

While it is possible to commit voter ID fraud in my state, you can't easily do so without the poll workers failing to do their jobs.

In order to do so, you'd have to obtain the voter ID card. Since that is mailed within 30 days of registering by the clerks office, it is unlikely that someone could intercept it.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Racism

It's days are numbered in Pennsylvania, hopefully.

It's racist to not let illegal aliens vote?

Voter ID laws in general, not their ability or inability to prevent illegal aliens from voting.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.