By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How would voter ID laws prevent non-U.S citizens from voting?

I just stumbled across this video on YouTube.  For me, it begs the question of how the heck you would stop non-U.S citizens from voting through an issued ID?

----

Around the Network

Require a social security number to vote or an ID form that requires a social security number/green card number.

Kasz216 said:
Require a social security number to vote or an ID form that requires a social security number/green card number.

The system looks like it is full of holes now.  Because of this, I was asking how, under current conditions, is adding a voter ID requirement going to address the issue?

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

The system looks like it is full of holes now.  Because of this, I was asking how, under current conditions, is adding a voter ID requirement going to address the issue?

how would not requiring an official ID be any better? 

gergroy said:
richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

It is a matter of proper focus.  The entire focus on the whole voter fraud issue has to do with people faking who they are at the polls, to manipulate the results.  Show where things like absintee ballot issues, problems with the Debold voting, and so on, are discussed and it isn't about blocking people from voting at the polls.

Take a look at this one website, involving Nebraska, that speaks to the laws:

http://www.stopvotefraud.net/

The focus there is requiring ID when going to vote.  Any other issues are not addressed.  The entire focus is on having people fake other people when going to vote, thus requiring the ID.

Around the Network

Just charge all the illegals with 3rd degree felonies that checked the US citizen box. They will then be added to the felony list and not be able to vote. We could just make entering this country illegally a felony thus ensuring illegals won't be able to ever vote.  We can then put them in private prisons and make them do work for pennies on the dollar. 

richardhutnik said:
gergroy said:
richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

It is a matter of proper focus.  The entire focus on the whole voter fraud issue has to do with people faking who they are at the polls, to manipulate the results.  Show where things like absintee ballot issues, problems with the Debold voting, and so on, are discussed and it isn't about blocking people from voting at the polls.

Take a look at this one website, involving Nebraska, that speaks to the laws:

http://www.stopvotefraud.net/

The focus there is requiring ID when going to vote.  Any other issues are not addressed.  The entire focus is on having people fake other people when going to vote, thus requiring the ID.

like the web site you posted says, this legistlative effort seems pretty common sense.  I don't understand why some states don't require ID as it is.  Whether or not the system is being used for fraud now, doesn't mean that it can't be used in that manner in the future.  Requiring ID is one way to help reduce that risk, even if it isn't full proof, it is better than nothing.  

Plus, these laws supply ID's to those that don't already have them, so if somebody wants to vote that doesn't have an ID, they are given one.  It all seems pretty common sense to me.  

The problem is that these laws have become too politicized.  This is a good idea that are being used for political reasons.  Republicans want to discourage votes and democrats want to demonize the republican efforts.  Both parties are acting stupid.  However, the idea of requiring ID's is a good one that I support.  

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

I thought that would be obvious based on the parameters I gave.

The hole in the video here is that illegal aliens are being able to register by lieing by checking  a box.

With the above change... to vote... they would need to provide ID that requries a social security card or citizenship card to get.

Even if you are an illegal alien who registers thanks to lieing, you now can't vote because you can't get the ID needed to prove you are who you are.

Even if you are that person.

Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

I thought that would be obvious based on the parameters I gave.

The hole in the video here is that illegal aliens are being able to register by lieing by checking  a box.

With the above change... to vote... they would need to provide ID that requries a social security card or citizenship card to get.

Even if you are an illegal alien who registers thanks to lieing, you now can't vote because you can't get the ID needed to prove you are who you are.

Even if you are that person.

Thing is that an ID only prevents one thing, that being that someone is not who they claim.  How does someone go in and vote if they aren't registered?  The place to stop non-U.S citizens from voting is NOT with the ID, but in the voter registration process.  Again, the only fraud issue is someone faking someone else.  And that is the ONLY think that the whole vote fraud bruhaha is over at this point.  And a main byproduct isn't voter fraud, but to make it so individuals less likely to vote Republican won't be able to vote.

Racism

It's days are numbered in Pennsylvania, hopefully.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.