By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much more powerful do you think the Wii U is compared to PS3/Xbox360.

Ji99saw said:

You have already admitted to not writing the complete truth in your last post and are trying to mask it under the guise of  a "Speculative Statement" even though you were writing it as complete fact and gave no hint that you were speculating, anything you say now is completely irrelevant because you already ruined your credibility

No, I admitted that my memory of the state of Pikmin 3 at E3 2011 was not entirely correct, not that I didn't tell the truth ... There is a substantial difference.

As for the indication of speculation, the fact that it was a vague statement should have been indication enough. Compare the following two statements:

"Microsoft will release the XBox 720 sometime in the next 12 to 24 months and it will priced in the $400 to $500 range"

and

"Microsoft will release the XBox 720 on November 17th 2013 and it will retail for $399.95"

Is there indication that someone is speculating in one, and someone is making a statement of fact in the other?

Now, look at the statement I made:

"18 to 24 months to improve visuals of a nearly completed game will typically result in a better looking game than 12 to 18 months to develop a game from scratch from the ground up ..."

The statement is vague, and doesn't make any direct claims on either Kameo or Pikmin. Had I said something along the lines of:

"Kameo began development for the Gamecube and was transferred to the XBox when Microsoft bought Rare. At E3 2004 Kameo was shown in a near complete state by Microsoft and soon after disappeared from their release schedule. This was because Microsoft had already transferred development of Kameo to the XBox 360 prior to E3 and they were only displaying its previous build because they didn't want to reveal that their next generation plaform was already in development"

"While Pikmin had been developed for years in Nintendo, it was mostly done by a small development team focused on creating new gameplay concepts using the Pikmin IP. In the middle of 2010 these gameplay concepts began being developed into an actual game that was being produced for the Wii and this game was going to be demoed for the Wii at E3. Shortly before E3 Miyamoto decided that Pikmin would be moved to the Wii U, plans to demo it at E3 were scrapped, and when they talked about it at E3 his discussion was entirely on the intention to release Pikmin to the Wii U. Soon after E3 Pikmin began development for the Wii U"

In both cases they take the limited information about the development of both games, but in one case the information is presented with the same uncertainty of the information we know; while in the other case the information is presented as being certain with details no one could know being added to add weight to the statement.

If you really see the intentions of vague statements to be the presentation of facts I don't know what to tell you ...

Outside of this thread I have never heard anyone claim that a statement made that doesn't have solid statements could be considered a fact. Hypothetically speaking, if someone says "The Wii U is expensive relative to the hardware you're getting" they may be making a solid statement that may (or may not be) the result of bias and assumptions they're not making any statements of facts; in contrast, if they're say "The Wii U is overpriced because the manufacturing cost is only $200" they're making a statement of fact.

If someone is making a statement of opinion, or a speculative statement they can not be seen a lying; in contrast if they're making a false statement of a fact they can be considered lying.

Edit: And this is a distinction you should understand because lawsuits can be expensive, claiming someone is a lier in an unjustified way can get you sued and suing someone for defamation of character because you believe they lied about you can cost you money if you don't know the difference between a lie, speculation, exaggeration, and opinion.

Around the Network
DieAppleDie said:
Kameo showed a generation leap over Star wars Rebel strike?
i dont think so

Yeah, Kameo (and most early 360 games) didn't show a generational leap over Conker Live and Reloaded on the Xbox either.

Not that I expect the Wii U to represent an Xbox-to-360 leap, but it WILL show noticeably better-than-36/PS3 graphics down the line; judging its capability based on launch titles is silly, almost no system is ever done justice by games made in it's first year.

HappySqurriel said:
TheShape31 said:

'Which one is showing that it is suffering from a lack of processing power?'

Suffer?  No 2D games in the last 2 generations have suffered for a lack of graphical prowess.  But honestly they could always look better in some way, and it would actually be nice to have a native 1080p NSMBU game.  What you're essentially arguing is that games never need to look better.  And people have made that same argument every generation.  'Diminishing returns', 'the human eye can't see any better', etc.  I have no doubt that there will be many great-looking games on Wii U.  But when the other two consoles come out and there is a marked difference in graphical quality and immersiveness, there will be new things to appreciate.  There are always new things to appreciate from the newest round of more powerful consoles.  And I'm not trying to say that the next PS or Xbox will have better games than Wii U, but technical advances yield new gameplay experiences.

Your moot argument about graphics never having to get better is only being used to overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games.  And within the next year or so, they could look slightly better, too.  But there's no plateau that gaming will hit where everything just stops.  There will be 4KTVs, and with those advancements in technology will come immersive games we can't imagine.  All of those advancements matter. 

For the moment, all of those 2.5D games will satisfy us.  But in 2-3 those games will inevitably look behind the times, just as the games for Wii did.  And once again, it will be Nintendo's older graphics and unique controller vs. Sony and MIcrosoft's more powerful systems.  Every kind of game can look better, and every 6 years or so we're reminded that those screenshots we used to oggle (*hint*) now don't look so great.

"Your moot argument about graphics never having to get better is only being used to overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games"

No, I'm just arguing against the economics of most studios pushing graphics beyond what the HD consoles can already do ...

By number there are far more games released to systems like the DS or 3DS than there are for high end devices because the average developer can produce a game for such a low budget that it becomes challenging to "fail". As an example, there is a local developer who has been very successful with DS games because they produced games using 3 to 5 developers in about 9 months; and they needed (on average) about 50,000 sales to be profitable.

In contrast, high end current HD console games are reported to have development teams of 100 (or more) people working for 3 (or more) years and they need millions of sales simply to break even. The average developer will never approach that budget because they could never see the sales to justify that budget; so they will never have the resources necessary to push these systems.

Will Call of Duty look awsome? Probably, but expect many smaller FPS games to survive by not pushing graphics in a similar way

The are some Indie studios on PC that have been able to push the graphical boat out without having to break the bank (e.g. Hard Reset). What the studios really need is better efficiency.

50% more powerful than Xbox 360 / 60% more powerful than PS3.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DieAppleDie said:
Kameo showed a generation leap over Star wars Rebel strike?
i dont think so

Yeah, Kameo (and most early 360 games) didn't show a generational leap over Conker Live and Reloaded on the Xbox either.

Not that I expect the Wii U to represent an Xbox-to-360 leap, but it WILL show noticeably better-than-36/PS3 graphics down the line; judging its capability based on launch titles is silly, almost no system is ever done justice by games made in it's first year.

Well launch games like Condemned, CoD2, and Quake 4 showed the 360 is significantly more powerful than previous consoles.

If Wii U doesn't do particularly well at appealing to a core audience in spite of PS360 ports, developers probably won't bother pushing the hardware.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr. Puggsly
Without the HDMI (the first 360 launched) cable the difference between previous gen best looking games and those you mentioned was barely noticeable

DieAppleDie said:
Mr. Puggsly
Without the HDMI (the first 360 launched) cable the difference between previous gen best looking games and those you mentioned was barely noticeable

Well that's bullshit, sir.

I won't even entertain this.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

First-generation Wii U titles look like late-life 360/PS3 titles? There's no way the Wii U will ever get next-gen games at this rate!

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Jumpin said:

50% more powerful than Xbox 360 / 60% more powerful than PS3.