By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much more powerful do you think the Wii U is compared to PS3/Xbox360.

TheShape31 said:

'Which one is showing that it is suffering from a lack of processing power?'

Suffer?  No 2D games in the last 2 generations have suffered for a lack of graphical prowess.  But honestly they could always look better in some way, and it would actually be nice to have a native 1080p NSMBU game.  What you're essentially arguing is that games never need to look better.  And people have made that same argument every generation.  'Diminishing returns', 'the human eye can't see any better', etc.  I have no doubt that there will be many great-looking games on Wii U.  But when the other two consoles come out and there is a marked difference in graphical quality and immersiveness, there will be new things to appreciate.  There are always new things to appreciate from the newest round of more powerful consoles.  And I'm not trying to say that the next PS or Xbox will have better games than Wii U, but technical advances yield new gameplay experiences.

Your moot argument about graphics never having to get better is only being used to overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games.  And within the next year or so, they could look slightly better, too.  But there's no plateau that gaming will hit where everything just stops.  There will be 4KTVs, and with those advancements in technology will come immersive games we can't imagine.  All of those advancements matter. 

For the moment, all of those 2.5D games will satisfy us.  But in 2-3 those games will inevitably look behind the times, just as the games for Wii did.  And once again, it will be Nintendo's older graphics and unique controller vs. Sony and MIcrosoft's more powerful systems.  Every kind of game can look better, and every 6 years or so we're reminded that those screenshots we used to oggle (*hint*) now don't look so great.

"Your moot argument about graphics never having to get better is only being used to overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games"

No, I'm just arguing against the economics of most studios pushing graphics beyond what the HD consoles can already do ...

By number there are far more games released to systems like the DS or 3DS than there are for high end devices because the average developer can produce a game for such a low budget that it becomes challenging to "fail". As an example, there is a local developer who has been very successful with DS games because they produced games using 3 to 5 developers in about 9 months; and they needed (on average) about 50,000 sales to be profitable.

In contrast, high end current HD console games are reported to have development teams of 100 (or more) people working for 3 (or more) years and they need millions of sales simply to break even. The average developer will never approach that budget because they could never see the sales to justify that budget; so they will never have the resources necessary to push these systems.

Will Call of Duty look awsome? Probably, but expect many smaller FPS games to survive by not pushing graphics in a similar way

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:

1. What?? How would you know? Because you brought up that I did post those two kameo pictures in that other thread! so you must have seen it! You yourself just cited that post: "you posted in the next gen launch thread" so you obviously saw it! What the hell man :/

2. Ok. Again, I thought i was just confused but I was completely right, you STILL misunderstand what i was doing in here. God damn, phenom.

I'm making this extremely clear for you. 

My issue with him posting the GUN picture was not how he compared it to the one on the older consoles.  

My issue is he was trying to paint the whole 360 launch line up as looking bad, by using that screenshot. 

It is misrepresentative of the 360 launch lineup.

Because much better looking games launched alongside the 360. Such as kameo, which I believe is the best looking 360 launch game, hence why I would use screens of it in this thread.

That is why I brought it up. Nothing in that discussion is in reference to, or talking about, the previous gen versions of GUN or Kameo.

That is it. You have to understand by now, surely. 

I'm sure anybody reading this can understand. Maybe you don't want to because you want to get one up on me. Well, whatever your motive is, there it is explained clear as day for anyone to see. So simple. 

1. I posted after you, that's why I was able to see your post obviously, what you are telling me here is to look through that thread to see your new comparison? Why not just post it here lol, maybe because you know I caught you cherry picking.

2. I know why you brought it up here, what I'm saying to you is, you haven't actually proved anything. That's one game which has no comparison on the Xbox. That's why its cherry picking. Now I'm talking about what you did in the other thread, why not compare Gun vs. Gun since they were actually finished products. I already know why you don't want to though. You don't want to admit you were cherry picking.

flagstaad said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But its still running games at 720p. I would hope a console just twice as powerful could do a full 1080p. To put that in perspective... its the same reolution the 360 has done for about 7 years.

All we know is it has more RAM. But others specs could be inferior or just equal. We'll have to wait and see.

Actually is running games at 720p PLUS 480p for the gamepad. So is not the same resolution as the Xbox360.

The RAM available for games is higher (tiny bit more than twice), and the GPU is more up to date, it seem is a 2009 design vs a 2005 design, so it has to be better even working at the same clock speed. The only thing that seems to be around the same level is the CPU and is one of the reason they went with a GPGPU architecture.

I doubt the tablets are the only thing keeping the Wii U from running games at 1080p. I believe the Kinect has multiple cameras capturing at 480p.

The GPU being more current argument doesn't hold much water. The Wii had a more current GPU than the original Xbox... but it didn't appear to put out superior visuals.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

HappySqurriel said:
phenom08 said:

1. How would I know you even posted in that thread lol. So Fail.

2. In your word. "That's because they were both games with the same art style, same character model etc, and so no one could argue 'oh but the art style is different"

So his comparison of Gun on Xbox and 360 are more valid since its FINISHED product vs. FINISHED product lol. So Fail again! You knew what you were doing, you cherry picked Kameo to prove a point you couldn't. You were caught plain and simple. Deal with it.

Personally, I'm getting the impression that Sal is a 15 year old, and I doubt she will respond ...

She doesn't seem to fully grasp the difference between a exaggeration and/or speculation and a lie.

Had her argument been that I was being unfair to characterize Kameo as a complete game that only received graphical upgrades, or that Pikmin was being built from the ground up in a tight timeline, I would have agreed with her. But to accuse someone of lying for a vague speculative statement while trying to prove a point on a web forum seems rather childish.

I agree, its sad really. I have pointed out the flaws in comparing Kameo on Xbox and 360. Yet all she can do is bring up the debate between both of you. What makes you showing Gun and her showing Kameo any different lol. Atleast Gun was a finished product on both platforms. This is how low HD gamers will go, they are so certain of two unannouced platforms being monsters and some how having the same distance in power between Wii and 360/PS3. They were also certain of the PS3 Super Slim being $199 or below and how it was going to even rival the 3DS sales lol. Notice how we don't have anymore threads on how the PS3 could even outsell the 3DS lol.

phenom08 said:
Sal.Paradise said:

1. What?? How would you know? Because you brought up that I did post those two kameo pictures in that other thread! so you must have seen it! You yourself just cited that post: "you posted in the next gen launch thread" so you obviously saw it! What the hell man :/

2. Ok. Again, I thought i was just confused but I was completely right, you STILL misunderstand what i was doing in here. God damn, phenom.

I'm making this extremely clear for you. 

My issue with him posting the GUN picture was not how he compared it to the one on the older consoles.  

My issue is he was trying to paint the whole 360 launch line up as looking bad, by using that screenshot. 

It is misrepresentative of the 360 launch lineup.

Because much better looking games launched alongside the 360. Such as kameo, which I believe is the best looking 360 launch game, hence why I would use screens of it in this thread.

That is why I brought it up. Nothing in that discussion is in reference to, or talking about, the previous gen versions of GUN or Kameo.

That is it. You have to understand by now, surely. 

I'm sure anybody reading this can understand. Maybe you don't want to because you want to get one up on me. Well, whatever your motive is, there it is explained clear as day for anyone to see. So simple. 

1. I posted after you, that's why I was able to see your post obviously, what you are telling me here is to look through that thread to see your new comparison? Why not just post it here lol, maybe because you know I caught you cherry picking.

2. I know why you brought it up here, what I'm saying to you is, you haven't actually proved anything. That's one game which has no comparison on the Xbox. That's why its cherry picking. Now I'm talking about what you did in the other thread, why not compare Gun vs. Gun since they were actually finished products. I already know why you don't want to though. You don't want to admit you were cherry picking.

Ah, now you sound more reasonable, thanks phenom. 

I did not compare GUN ports in that thread, because I was showing what the best xbox 360 launch title looked like, which I believe was kameo. Nowhere did I claim all 360 launch games looked as good as Kameo! There were ugly games like GUN, but I did not try to paint the whole 360 line up as being as ugly as GUN, like squirrel did, nor did I claim they all looked as good as Kameo! 

The argument in that thread from the OP, was that generational leaps in tech don't show in launch titles, and he used, among others, the 360 launch as an example. I used Kameo, a game from the 360 launch, to show that he was wrong, as I believed it WAS a game that improved significantly over last generation, and he ended up agreeing with me. I hope that's cleared up. 

Around the Network

Kameo showed a generation leap over Star wars Rebel strike?
i dont think so

HappySqurriel said:
TheShape31 said:

'Which one is showing that it is suffering from a lack of processing power?'

Suffer?  No 2D games in the last 2 generations have suffered for a lack of graphical prowess.  But honestly they could always look better in some way, and it would actually be nice to have a native 1080p NSMBU game.  What you're essentially arguing is that games never need to look better.  And people have made that same argument every generation.  'Diminishing returns', 'the human eye can't see any better', etc.  I have no doubt that there will be many great-looking games on Wii U.  But when the other two consoles come out and there is a marked difference in graphical quality and immersiveness, there will be new things to appreciate.  There are always new things to appreciate from the newest round of more powerful consoles.  And I'm not trying to say that the next PS or Xbox will have better games than Wii U, but technical advances yield new gameplay experiences.

Your moot argument about graphics never having to get better is only being used to overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games.  And within the next year or so, they could look slightly better, too.  But there's no plateau that gaming will hit where everything just stops.  There will be 4KTVs, and with those advancements in technology will come immersive games we can't imagine.  All of those advancements matter. 

For the moment, all of those 2.5D games will satisfy us.  But in 2-3 those games will inevitably look behind the times, just as the games for Wii did.  And once again, it will be Nintendo's older graphics and unique controller vs. Sony and MIcrosoft's more powerful systems.  Every kind of game can look better, and every 6 years or so we're reminded that those screenshots we used to oggle (*hint*) now don't look so great.

"Your moot argument about graphics never having to get better is only being used to overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games"

No, I'm just arguing against the economics of most studios pushing graphics beyond what the HD consoles can already do ...

By number there are far more games released to systems like the DS or 3DS than there are for high end devices because the average developer can produce a game for such a low budget that it becomes challenging to "fail". As an example, there is a local developer who has been very successful with DS games because they produced games using 3 to 5 developers in about 9 months; and they needed (on average) about 50,000 sales to be profitable.

In contrast, high end current HD console games are reported to have development teams of 100 (or more) people working for 3 (or more) years and they need millions of sales simply to break even. The average developer will never approach that budget because they could never see the sales to justify that budget; so they will never have the resources necessary to push these systems.

Will Call of Duty look awsome? Probably, but expect many smaller FPS games to survive by not pushing graphics in a similar way

"I'm just arguing against the economics of most studios pushing graphics beyond what the HD consoles can already do"

I honestly think that development teams and publishers can be much more responsible then they have been.  More and more the budgets and team sizes have gone through the roof.  But more reasonable budgets and team sizes can still push things forward on the visual front.  Maybe there won't be big named voice-actors and things like that, but someone like me doesn't care about those kinds of unnecessary expendatures.  Budgets could get cut in half and essentially promote the same product with essentially the same quality.  And that would actually help to keep creative focus, and more games could be completed in the way they were meant to.  My point is that you don't have to add a couple hundred more people every gen to make games more visually appealing.

There will be less and less of those types of teams, as companies keep having to close shop for not making their money back.  But there will always be companies that can still afford to do things on a Hollywood budget, and those games are always better off with more powerful hardware.  And for the time being, all of them are quite frankly stuck having to use the same tech for the past 7 years.  [I don't believe] The Wii U isn't going to afford them the opportunity to make significant, game-changing visual enhancements.  Gameplay, most certainly will be pushed into new areas due to the Game Pad.  But to the point of this thread, developers are always looking to use more power, regardless of their team size.  And visually things are stagnant.  That's not to say that the 2D and 2.5D games on Wii U don't look great.  They certianly do.  But if ZombiU looked any better than PS360, I would be touting the Wii U as being a graphical next-gen machine.  But it doesn't.

Sal.Paradise said:

Ah, now you sound more reasonable, thanks phenom. 

I did not compare GUN ports in that thread, because I was showing what the best xbox 360 launch title looked like, which I believe was kameo. Nowhere did I claim all 360 launch games looked as good as Kameo! There were ugly games like GUN, but I did not try to paint the whole 360 line up as being as ugly as GUN, like squirrel did, nor did I claim they all looked as good as Kameo! 

The argument in that thread from the OP, was that generational leaps in tech don't show in launch titles, and he used, among others, the 360 launch as an example. I used Kameo, a game from the 360 launch, to show that he was wrong, as I believed it WAS a game that improved significantly over last generation, and he ended up agreeing with me. I hope that's cleared up.

I understand that except you have nothing to compare Kameo to. You said yourself that you wanted to compare games with similar artstyles. Thats why I'm calling out the fact that you used a game that wasn't even complete on the Xbox to compare. The reason why it looks like such a large leap is because the Xbox version was incomplete. I agree Kameo looks better than any Xbox game but not signicantly and thats where we have different opinions. Like what a previous poster said if Kameo is a generational leap then what is Gears 3?

Mr Puggsly said:
flagstaad said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But its still running games at 720p. I would hope a console just twice as powerful could do a full 1080p. To put that in perspective... its the same reolution the 360 has done for about 7 years.

All we know is it has more RAM. But others specs could be inferior or just equal. We'll have to wait and see.

Actually is running games at 720p PLUS 480p for the gamepad. So is not the same resolution as the Xbox360.

The RAM available for games is higher (tiny bit more than twice), and the GPU is more up to date, it seem is a 2009 design vs a 2005 design, so it has to be better even working at the same clock speed. The only thing that seems to be around the same level is the CPU and is one of the reason they went with a GPGPU architecture.

I doubt the tablets are the only thing keeping the Wii U from running games at 1080p. I believe the Kinect has multiple cameras capturing at 480p.

The GPU being more current argument doesn't hold much water. The Wii had a more current GPU than the original Xbox... but it didn't appear to put out superior visuals.

Wii was basically an overclocked GC. THe GC GPU was from the late 90s.

HappySqurriel said:
phenom08 said:

1. How would I know you even posted in that thread lol. So Fail.

2. In your word. "That's because they were both games with the same art style, same character model etc, and so no one could argue 'oh but the art style is different"

So his comparison of Gun on Xbox and 360 are more valid since its FINISHED product vs. FINISHED product lol. So Fail again! You knew what you were doing, you cherry picked Kameo to prove a point you couldn't. You were caught plain and simple. Deal with it.

Personally, I'm getting the impression that Sal is a 15 year old, and I doubt she will respond ...

She doesn't seem to fully grasp the difference between a exaggeration and/or speculation and a lie.

Had her argument been that I was being unfair to characterize Kameo as a complete game that only received graphical upgrades, or that Pikmin was being built from the ground up in a tight timeline, I would have agreed with her. But to accuse someone of lying for a vague speculative statement while trying to prove a point on a web forum seems rather childish.

You have already admitted to not writing the complete truth in your last post and are trying to mask it under the guise of  a "Speculative Statement" even though you were writing it as complete fact and gave no hint that you were speculating, anything you say now is completely irrelevant because you already ruined your credibility

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw