By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much more powerful do you think the Wii U is compared to PS3/Xbox360.

Sal.Paradise said:
phenom08 said:

Here let me jog your memory because it sounds like you are trying to deny ever comparing them. This is all from page 3 of the "Next Gen Launch Games" thread.

"So I'll play devils advocate and repost these, to show that clear graphical leaps are possible and very doable at the start of a generation. Anyone saying this leap isn't significant is flat out lying! (come at me d21lewis, come at me) 

Don't forget that these first HD 360 titles are of course rendering at a much higher resolution than their SD counterparts. I expect 'next gen' games to still be running mostly 720p, leaving more of that new power for graphical effects etc."

I have already posted this.

"phenom08 said:
I know about your argument with happysquirrel. I was accusing you of doing this before. I guess I shouldn't have responsed to your and happysquirrel's post tree. That's why you think I'm accusing you of doing this in your argument with happysquirrel. What I am doing though is accusing you of cherry picking. Why not compare late gen Xbox to 360 launch games instead of a unreleased Xbox game to 360 launch game."

I don't care about your debate with happysquirrel about the 360 kameo game in this thread. I'm calling what you said in that thread out. You are also still trying to say he was cherry picking which you are doing as well. Admit you were cherry picking lol. You are right about whether Kameo looks signicantly better than "all last gen games" being another argument, because I completely disagree.

Yes! You already brought this up! This is a different thread!

And I already posted: "I will gladly do that in the other thread. Kameo is still a significant and noticeable generational leap over original xbox games."

So go there to post to avoid confusion with this one, and tomorrow I will gladly compare last gen games to Kameo on 360 with you! THANKS. 

If I can't make a speculative comment you have to provide a link to every quote you use

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

If I can't make a speculative comment you have to provide a link to every quote you use

What are you talking to me for?

We're done.

You made up information, you lied.

I'm talking to phenom now.

If you're salty about me calling you out on your made up crap, contact a mod or something and get me banned for a day. I don't argue with liars. 

Sal.Paradise said:
phenom08 said:

Here let me jog your memory because it sounds like you are trying to deny ever comparing them. This is all from page 3 of the "Next Gen Launch Games" thread.

"So I'll play devils advocate and repost these, to show that clear graphical leaps are possible and very doable at the start of a generation. Anyone saying this leap isn't significant is flat out lying! (come at me d21lewis, come at me) 

Don't forget that these first HD 360 titles are of course rendering at a much higher resolution than their SD counterparts. I expect 'next gen' games to still be running mostly 720p, leaving more of that new power for graphical effects etc."

I have already posted this.

"phenom08 said:
I know about your argument with happysquirrel. I was accusing you of doing this before. I guess I shouldn't have responsed to your and happysquirrel's post tree. That's why you think I'm accusing you of doing this in your argument with happysquirrel. What I am doing though is accusing you of cherry picking. Why not compare late gen Xbox to 360 launch games instead of a unreleased Xbox game to 360 launch game."

I don't care about your debate with happysquirrel about the 360 kameo game in this thread. I'm calling what you said in that thread out. You are also still trying to say he was cherry picking which you are doing as well. Admit you were cherry picking lol. You are right about whether Kameo looks signicantly better than "all last gen games" being another argument, because I completely disagree.

And I already posted: "I will gladly do that in the other thread. Kameo is still a significant and noticeable generational leap over original xbox games."

So go there to post to avoid confusion with this one, and tomorrow I will gladly compare last gen games to Kameo on 360 with you! THANKS. 

LOL no.

Kameo was an improvement over Xbox games, but it wasn't a "generational leap". Considering how much better later 360 games look than Kameo, I guess that would make them a "2 generational'" leap over Xbox.

Sal.Paradise said:
HappySqurriel said:

What are you talking to me for?

We're done.

You made up information, you lied.

I'm talking to phenom now.

If you're salty about me calling you out on your made up crap, contact a mod or something and get me banned for a day. I don't argue with liars. 

You clearly don`t have a concept what speculation is, or what a lie is ...

A lie is "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood." which is substantially different from a speculative statement "Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition."

Sal.Paradise said:
phenom08 said:
Sal.Paradise said:

How am I suppose to go to another thread you haven't even told me the title of? What confusion lol, you aren't confused you just can't accept I busted you on picking the wrong Xbox game to compare Kameo to. You are just trying to dodge me lol.

" How am I suppose to go to another thread you haven't even told me the title of?  "

In your own post: 

"This is all from page 3 of the "Next Gen Launch Games" thread."

Tada!

But since you're trying your very best to get one over me, I'll stay here for now, it seems to be a trend. Both those photos, of Kameo on the 360 and original xbox, I found on a post on Neogaf, and thought they were a great comparison. That's because they were both games with the same art style, same character model etc, and so no one could argue 'oh but the art style is different, it's cartoony and saturated but (for instance) half life on the xbox is realistic, so its not a proper comparison!' as I have seen others do. It is much easier to demonstrate that difference in capability when the games use exactly the same art style, hence why my comparison in that thread, I felt was so useful (and the OP agreed). 

It was not an attmept to decieve, by painting the Kameo on the original xbox as if it was the best looking game on the system. I'm sorry if it came off that way! 

I already explained this briefly in this thread, but you ignored: 

"Kameo! it llustrated the massive jump in quality at launch, but with the benefit of having the same character designs/ art style so people couldn't bitch about them being different or Kameo not counting because it was cartoony/oversaturated (an argument I've seen posted before to wriggle out of those comparisons.) "

1. How would I know you even posted in that thread lol. So Fail.

2. In your word. "That's because they were both games with the same art style, same character model etc, and so no one could argue 'oh but the art style is different"

So his comparison of Gun on Xbox and 360 are more valid since its FINISHED product vs. FINISHED product lol. So Fail again! You knew what you were doing, you cherry picked Kameo to prove a point you couldn't. You were caught plain and simple. Deal with it.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
TheShape31 said:

First of all, you posted screenshots of games that are literally all 2D and 2.5D games.  Take a screenshot of Rayman Origins for PS3, same quality.

Technically Pikmin is a 3D game and the other two are 2.5D games, being that 2.5D game meains a game that is a 2D game that is rendered in 3D. See Viewtiful Joe

I don't doubt that there are similar looking PS3 games ...

Now answer the question 'Which one is showing that it is suffering from a lack of processing power?'

That's the point, if you can't say that they look like they're suffering from lack of proccessing power then obviously there really is no point in pushing graphics technology for these games beyond this point.

TheShape31 said:

"You need to get used to the fact that 90% of games released from this point forward will probably see no significant graphical improvements over what was possible on the HD consoles"

This is hogwash.  Every generation sees graphical improvement as technology progresses.  Higher resolutions, framerates, and polygon counts do not mean that every game has to look photo realistic.  There is plenty of room to make stylistic universes look more beautiful with more powerful hardware.  I am, of course referring to that Mario picture that was too ugly to repost.  Look at the Toy Story movies... just because technology allows you to make CGI like Avatar still means you can create unrealistically animated awesomeness.  And there was no better way to watch Toy Story 3 than on a 4K projector.  Resolution and the progression of technology matters, regardless of whether we're talking about movies or games.

Everything comes to an end ...

Nintendo can spend 4 times as much money making sure that the stitches in Mario's over-alls are rendered with appropriate detail, or they can continue releasing games that look (essentially) like New Super Mario U, and in either case they will get roughly similar sales.

'Which one is showing that it is suffering from a lack of processing power?'

Suffer?  No 2D games in the last 2 generations have suffered for a lack of graphical prowess.  But honestly they could always look better in some way, and it would actually be nice to have a native 1080p NSMBU game.  What you're essentially arguing is that games never need to look better.  And people have made that same argument every generation.  'Diminishing returns', 'the human eye can't see any better', etc.  I have no doubt that there will be many great-looking games on Wii U.  But when the other two consoles come out and there is a marked difference in graphical quality and immersiveness, there will be new things to appreciate.  There are always new things to appreciate from the newest round of more powerful consoles.  And I'm not trying to say that the next PS or Xbox will have better games than Wii U, but technical advances yield new gameplay experiences.

Your moot argument about graphics never having to get better is only being used to overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games.  And within the next year or so, they could look slightly better, too.  But there's no plateau that gaming will hit where everything just stops.  There will be 4KTVs, and with those advancements in technology will come immersive games we can't imagine.  All of those advancements matter. 

For the moment, all of those 2.5D games will satisfy us.  But in 2-3 those games will inevitably look behind the times, just as the games for Wii did.  And once again, it will be Nintendo's older graphics and unique controller vs. Sony and MIcrosoft's more powerful systems.  Every kind of game can look better, and every 6 years or so we're reminded that those screenshots we used to oggle (*hint*) now don't look so great.

oni-link said:

With the recent official news regarding Wii U, and in addition to all the rumors of processor type, speed, GPU, embedded RAM etc.  How powerful do you think the Wii U is in contrast to X360/PS4?  I know early release games are only marginally better in terms of visuals (I am still holding on buying DS2 for Wii U, instead of the 360 version), but early builds are not a good indication of system potential.  One thing is for certain, the Wii U has 4x more total RAM compared to the PS3 and 360; with a more modern GPU and CPU (with Watson type architecture).  I have been asked several times by casuals who want to know about the system and the best comparison I could say is comparing the PSP vs the Vita in terms of capability.  What would you say to a casual who might ask the same question?

Roughly 1.9x overall.

phenom08 said:
Sal.Paradise said:
phenom08 said:
Sal.Paradise said:

How am I suppose to go to another thread you haven't even told me the title of? What confusion lol, you aren't confused you just can't accept I busted you on picking the wrong Xbox game to compare Kameo to. You are just trying to dodge me lol.

" How am I suppose to go to another thread you haven't even told me the title of?  "

In your own post: 

"This is all from page 3 of the "Next Gen Launch Games" thread."

Tada!

But since you're trying your very best to get one over me, I'll stay here for now, it seems to be a trend. Both those photos, of Kameo on the 360 and original xbox, I found on a post on Neogaf, and thought they were a great comparison. That's because they were both games with the same art style, same character model etc, and so no one could argue 'oh but the art style is different, it's cartoony and saturated but (for instance) half life on the xbox is realistic, so its not a proper comparison!' as I have seen others do. It is much easier to demonstrate that difference in capability when the games use exactly the same art style, hence why my comparison in that thread, I felt was so useful (and the OP agreed). 

It was not an attmept to decieve, by painting the Kameo on the original xbox as if it was the best looking game on the system. I'm sorry if it came off that way! 

I already explained this briefly in this thread, but you ignored: 

"Kameo! it llustrated the massive jump in quality at launch, but with the benefit of having the same character designs/ art style so people couldn't bitch about them being different or Kameo not counting because it was cartoony/oversaturated (an argument I've seen posted before to wriggle out of those comparisons.) "

2. In your word. "That's because they were both games with the same art style, same character model etc, and so no one could argue 'oh but the art style is different"

So his comparison of Gun on Xbox and 360 are more valid since its FINISHED product vs. FINISHED product lol. So Fail again! You knew what you were doing, you cherry picked Kameo to prove a point you couldn't. You were caught plain and simple. Deal with it.

1. What?? How would you know? Because you brought up that I did post those two kameo pictures in that other thread! so you must have seen it! You yourself just cited that post: "you posted in the next gen launch thread" so you obviously saw it! What the hell man :/

2. Ok. Again, I thought i was just confused but I was completely right, you STILL misunderstand what i was doing in here. God damn, phenom.

I'm making this extremely clear for you. 

My issue with him posting the GUN picture was not how he compared it to the one on the older consoles.  

My issue is he was trying to paint the whole 360 launch line up as looking bad, by using that screenshot. 

It is misrepresentative of the 360 launch lineup.

Because much better looking games launched alongside the 360. Such as kameo, which I believe is the best looking 360 launch game, hence why I would use screens of it in this thread.

That is why I brought it up. Nothing in that discussion is in reference to, or talking about, the previous gen versions of GUN or Kameo.

That is it. You have to understand by now, surely. 

I'm sure anybody reading this can understand. Maybe you don't want to because you want to get one up on me. Well, whatever your motive is, there it is explained clear as day for anyone to see. So simple. 

phenom08 said:

Personally, I'm getting the impression that Sal is a 15 year old, and I doubt she will respond ...

She doesn't seem to fully grasp the difference between a exaggeration and/or speculation and a lie.

Had her argument been that I was being unfair to characterize Kameo as a complete game that only received graphical upgrades, or that Pikmin was being built from the ground up in a tight timeline, I would have agreed with her. But to accuse someone of lying for a vague speculative statement while trying to prove a point on a web forum seems rather childish.

TheShape31 said:

'Which one is showing that it is suffering from a lack of processing power?'

Suffer?  No 2D games in the last 2 generations have suffered for a lack of graphical prowess.  But honestly they could always look better in some way, and it would actually be nice to have a native 1080p NSMBU game.  What you're essentially arguing is that games never need to look better.  And people have made that same argument every generation.  'Diminishing returns', 'the human eye can't see any better', etc.  I have no doubt that there will be many great-looking games on Wii U.  But when the other two consoles come out and there is a marked difference in graphical quality and immersiveness, there will be new things to appreciate. There are always new things to appreciate from the newest round of more powerful consoles.  And I'm not trying to say that the next PS or Xbox will have better games than Wii U, but technical advances yield new gameplay experiences.

Your moot argument about graphics never having to get better is only being used to overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games.  And within the next year or so, they could look slightly better, too.  But there's no plateau that gaming will hit where everything just stops.  There will be 4KTVs, and with those advancements in technology will come immersive games we can't imagine.  All of those advancements matter. 

For the moment, all of those 2.5D games will satisfy us.  But in 2-3 those games will inevitably look behind the times, just as the games for Wii did.  And once again, it will be Nintendo's older graphics and unique controller vs. Sony and MIcrosoft's more powerful systems.  Every kind of game can look better, and every 6 years or so we're reminded that those screenshots we used to oggle (*hint*) now don't look so great.

I got you happysquirrel, so much fail in this post it's not even funny.

1. "But when the other two consoles come out and there is a marked difference in graphical quality and immersiveness, there will be new things to appreciate."

When you can actually prove this, is when you will actually have an argument. It's hilarious seeing HD gamers claiming this and yet we have yet to see the Vita provide these amazing experiences that only powerful platforms can provide.

2. "overshadow the fact that Wii U games don't look any better than PS3 and X360 games."

Neither did the jump from Xbox to 360 games, see Gun for comparison and not Kameo lol.

3. "There will be 4KTVs, and with those advancements in technology will come immersive games we can't imagine."

In the next gen, yea right lol. The rumors said nothing about the games being in this resolution.