By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What will it take to Re-invigorate Vita in America?

With Weekly sales below 10K in the US, Vita is definitely in trouble State-side.  Fixing sales in Japan seems like a no brainer, just get some of those beloved RPG franchises to release on Vita and sales should pick up, but what can be done in the US?  If there aren't over 2 million sold after the Christmas holiday, you have to start wondering how much longer the platform can survive here.  If 3DS was a failure until the price cut, what do you call Vita?  Its a great platform, technology wise, but the public sure hasn't bought into it yet.  

So my question, what can be done to right this ship?

Around the Network

SCEA has decided that you ignore it entirely. Only time will tell if this is a working strategy. I am optimistic!

GTA, God of War, price cut.

edit: Along with the existing lineup, starting with LBPV.

edit edit: Stop releasing PSP games (for Japan mainly though)

Yeah, Andre that is what I am hoping for. I want one, but not at the current price.

I know that price is holding some back, especially the memory cards, but games are most important. I have no reason to buy a vita if there aren't any games that interest me.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Nothing. It looks like Sony has realized this too, so they aren't even really bothering anymore.

I don't know about America, but in the UK I have noticed lots and LOTS of PS Vita ads in the past few days. They are really good ads too, showing off gameplay etc. But yeah, as soon as GTA, COD, GOW etc. come out sales should pick up a bit in the US...but I seriously don't think the Vita is even gonna pass 20m lifetime at this stage

Andrespetmonkey said:
GTA, God of War, price cut.

what this man said

There's almost no way they're going to go with a price cut on this thing any time soon. Whether they are selling at a loss or not (apparently there's still debates one way or another), they really can't afford to reduce it at all because it'll cut straight into their bottom line.

I think their best chance is to pray that the bundling for NA will do some good.

A price cut.

I don't really understand these questions fully. When/if games are released, systems sell better.

Games are coming. We know that. How much of a boost will the games on the immediate horizon give the Vita? We don't know yet.

Also, I know a lot of people think developers can snap their fingers and produce a game, but it doesn't exactly work like that. It can take years. In Japan, a lot of PSP games are still being released, which means those developers have been working on PSP projects until now. Most developers have to finish what they are working on before they can move on to something else.

We have no idea what and how many games are in production for the Vita. Some developers announce early, some wait until later in the cycle. The console could sell poorly for the next year, with the same people proclaiming that it's dead, then a few big releases over the holidays could make them look like nimrods.

The Vita is no more "doomed" than the PS3 or the 3DS was at launch. You'd think people would know better by now that the life of a game console is a marathon, not a sprint.