By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What will it take to Re-invigorate Vita in America?

Better marketing. Price cut. More Sony franchises (Killzone will boost it if it ever gets released, but where are God of War & Gran Turismo). More third-party franchises (Type-0? San Andreas Stories? Hoping Liberation will help)

Other than that, Sony just aren't really in favour with America at the moment. They seem to like Microsoft for their consoles and Nintendo for their handhelds (if they want a dedicated handheld at all). I expect the Vita will do much better in Europe and quite poorly in the US.

To be expected, of course. Many of Sony's US-friendly franchises have died/are dying such as Twisted Metal, SOCOM etc.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
It's too expensive. If that isn't fixed then you can release all the games you want but it won't change anything.

Do we need to keep asking this question? It's patently obvious.

It has too few must have games. If that isn't fixed, then you can drop the price all you want but it won't change anything.

-price cut
-bundle memory card or cut the price
-god of war and gran turismo
-bundles
-advertising etc etc

All the stuff we've said for months on end.. This question is asked too often

badgenome said:
kowenicki said:
It's too expensive. If that isn't fixed then you can release all the games you want but it won't change anything.

Do we need to keep asking this question? It's patently obvious.

It has too few must have games. If that isn't fixed, then you can drop the price all you want but it won't change anything.

Well if memory serves me correct, when the 3ds had its price cut there were hardly any must have games. Ocorina of time was basically it, but the sales still exploded. 

Price cut... NPD is showing no game can really take if that far without a cut, selling sub 10k. BUT! There's big games there to remedy the situation, keeping it steady until a definitive solution arrives.

But Japan is worse. I hate to say this, but this Holidays there... All Stars Battle Royale and AKB (both multiplat) will have to carry the torch against Mario, Animal Crossing, Layton vs AA, Inazuma Eleven, Pokemon... and Wii U (and PS3 with major games too). I think it's going to be ugly to see, really.

Around the Network
thehusbo said:

Well if memory serves me correct, when the 3ds had its price cut there were hardly any must have games. Ocorina of time was basically it, but the sales still exploded. 

Yeah, but Nintendo handhelds have always been a powerhouse brand. And there were big games on the horizon. Vita can't really claim that.

kowenicki said:

That's clearly nonsense. If it was $100 they would sell. 

Just like the Gamecube.

Instead of wasting $50 million on an advertising campaign that no one ever saw, Sony should have gone exclusive shopping.

Wait until January 2013, before making threads like this thank you. I think they might of forgot about the games coming out for vita soon

-LittleBigPlanet
-Call of Duty
-Fifa 13
-Assassin's Creed
-and others

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

pokoko said:
I don't really understand these questions fully. When/if games are released, systems sell better.

Games are coming. We know that. How much of a boost will the games on the immediate horizon give the Vita? We don't know yet.

Also, I know a lot of people think developers can snap their fingers and produce a game, but it doesn't exactly work like that. It can take years. In Japan, a lot of PSP games are still being released, which means those developers have been working on PSP projects until now. Most developers have to finish what they are working on before they can move on to something else.

We have no idea what and how many games are in production for the Vita. Some developers announce early, some wait until later in the cycle. The console could sell poorly for the next year, with the same people proclaiming that it's dead, then a few big releases over the holidays could make them look like nimrods.

The Vita is no more "doomed" than the PS3 or the 3DS was at launch. You'd think people would know better by now that the life of a game console is a marathon, not a sprint.

THIS,

as for the Vita, it's probably not were sony wants, it but sadly I don't think it can get any worse....

2012 holiday looks promising for the Vita...you have LBP(already out) Ragnorak Odyssey and Persona 4 for the RPG fans, CoD could have a potential impact on vita sales(Sony would be smart to do a BF deal with CoD..if it comes out on it's scheduled date) Assassins Creed could also move Vita's(along with the white vita and PS3 connectivity with AC III) and PSASBR. I can see the Vita pulling anothet 1.5-2 units before the end of the year.

2013 will be better as the Vita will most likely get it's first official pricecut along with games likr God Eater 2, Soul Sacrafice, Killzone, EDF, and a handful of niche PSV titiles,(hopefully FF XHD) and how know what be announce then.

badgenome said:
kowenicki said:

That's clearly nonsense. If it was $100 they would sell. 

Just like the Gamecube.

Instead of wasting $50 million on an advertising campaign that no one ever saw, Sony should have gone exclusive shopping.

That would be good. But they should have spaced the releases a little bit more too. Instead of a 26 game lauch day... maybe 13 and 13 others releasing on a steady basis.