By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What will it take to Re-invigorate Vita in America?

Release GTA and kill the Wii.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
VicViper said:

That would be good. But they should have spaced the releases a little bit more too. Instead of a 26 game lauch day... maybe 13 and 13 others releasing on a steady basis.

I was thinking about that earlier. Would that have been better than the opening deluge followed by... nothing? Or was the problem that those were all fine, quick and dirty launch games, but they were mostly ports and B-tier titles that were just never going to shift many units to begin with?

badgenome said:
thehusbo said:

Well if memory serves me correct, when the 3ds had its price cut there were hardly any must have games. Ocorina of time was basically it, but the sales still exploded. 

Yeah, but Nintendo handhelds have always been a powerhouse brand. And there were big games on the horizon. Vita can't really claim that.

Your right about Nintendo but we knew when the vita launched there were big games coming (mass effect, Assasins creed, call of duty, littlebigplanet etc) and we still know big games are coming. But at the end of the day if the thing is too expensive people either won't buy it or will just wait. Price is the main barrier right now.

badgenome said:
VicViper said:

That would be good. But they should have spaced the releases a little bit more too. Instead of a 26 game lauch day... maybe 13 and 13 others releasing on a steady basis.

I was thinking about that earlier. Would that have been better than the opening deluge followed by... nothing? Or was the problem that those were all fine, quick and dirty launch games, but they were mostly ports and B-tier titles that were just never going to shift many units to begin with?

I know, but it would somewhat remedy that "no games" mentality a bit. I don't know, just throwing random strategies here, seeing if one sticks, you could be right, maybe it wouldn't change a thing.

What I do think they missed is not making Gravity Rush the launch star. Of course maybe the game wasn't ready and there was no way to rush it, but to me they should've made the game Vita's poster child.

The answer to this question is always software. Good software will make anything sell no matter how expensive ask Apple and to a lesser extent Nintendo.
It would help most if it got many big IPs in genres Americans lap up such as open world action games, FPS and Tps, Racers, and Wrpgs.
I'm honestly shocked PSV's first few months weren't like Wii U's opening library containing adaptations of all major titles and franchises on PS360. I guess western devs just don't care about portables(their output on 3DS has been abysmal as well.)
Sony should use it's studios to help help studios like gearbox who are interested but don't have the resources.

Around the Network

when call of duty touches down in the states the vita should get the big rush of sales it needs to at least get a decent install base there, all it takes is one really great game and then you'll have people with the system happily picking up a few more games for it to get more outta their psv, I definately think and hope CoD will be that game in the states, Murrica is nuts for that series, just hope sony realizes it and puts a good lot of advertising just based on that game coming out.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

VicViper said:

I know, but it would somewhat remedy that "no games" mentality a bit. I don't know, just throwing random strategies here, seeing if one sticks, you could be right, maybe it wouldn't change a thing.

What I do think they missed is not making Gravity Rush the launch star. Of course maybe the game wasn't ready and there was no way to rush it, but to me they should've made the game Vita's poster child.

Yeah. But it was out in Japan before Vita even launched in the west, and there was no voice acting to be localized, so I don't see why it would have been. Who knows what the hold up was?

Although the PS3 launched with some quality new IPs, and it still struggled. The launch window is a good time for new IPs, but I don't think a new console should hang its hat primarily on new IPs, but rather established ones.

thehusbo said:

Your right about Nintendo but we knew when the vita launched there were big games coming (mass effect, Assasins creed, call of duty, littlebigplanet etc) and we still know big games are coming. But at the end of the day if the thing is too expensive people either won't buy it or will just wait. Price is the main barrier right now.

Mass Effect?!

Price is a barrier, but I don't think it's the main one. I think Sony's audience is a lot less susceptible to sticker shock than Nintendo's, and if there were Monster Hunter and Crisis Core and GTA caliber games on the Vita, I don't think it would be selling at sub-PSP levels even at this price.

badgenome said:
thehusbo said:

Mass Effect?!

Price is a barrier, but I don't think it's the main one. I think Sony's audience is a lot less susceptible to sticker shock than Nintendo's, and if there were Monster Hunter and Crisis Core and GTA caliber games on the Vita, I don't think it would be selling at sub-PSP levels even at this price.

I think I meant bioshock not mass effect ;) but that's what I believe though.. Obviously great games sell consoles but the price is the most important factor in determining demand.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)