By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - And people say Boycotts don't work "Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees "

According to the Chicago-based Civil Rights Agenda, Chick-fil-A has made some drastic changes to its policies. Press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees

September 18, 2012 – Chicago, Illinois – The Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA), Illinois’ largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights advocacy organization, has learned that Alderman Moreno has finalized his negotiations with Chick-Fil-A. Alderman Moreno’s advocacy has resulted in the company confirming that they will no longer give money to anti-gay organizations. The Civil Rights Agenda worked closely with the Alderman in an advisory role as he negotiated these concessions with the executives at Chick-fil-A.

In a letter addressed to Alderman Moreno and signed by Chick-fil-A’s Senior Director of Real Estate, it states, “The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.” In meetings the company executives clarified that they will no longer give to anti-gay organizations, such as Focus on the Family and the National Organization for Marriage.

Additionally, they have sent an internal memo to franchisees and stakeholders that stated that, as a company, they will “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect-regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender,” and that their “intent is not to engage in political or social debates.” This statement was placed into an official company document called “Chick-fil-A: Who We Are.”
MORE: PRESS RELEASE - Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees [Civil Rights Agenda]

http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/09/report-chick-fil-a-more-bothered-by-recent-controversy-than-supporters-wanted-you-to-believe.html

--

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like if the internet was around and we could see which companies were *strongly against* the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution (Woman's Suffrage - aka the Right to Vote.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:

According to the Chicago-based Civil Rights Agenda, Chick-fil-A has made some drastic changes to its policies. Press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees

September 18, 2012 – Chicago, Illinois – The Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA), Illinois’ largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights advocacy organization, has learned that Alderman Moreno has finalized his negotiations with Chick-Fil-A. Alderman Moreno’s advocacy has resulted in the company confirming that they will no longer give money to anti-gay organizations. The Civil Rights Agenda worked closely with the Alderman in an advisory role as he negotiated these concessions with the executives at Chick-fil-A.

In a letter addressed to Alderman Moreno and signed by Chick-fil-A’s Senior Director of Real Estate, it states, “The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.” In meetings the company executives clarified that they will no longer give to anti-gay organizations, such as Focus on the Family and the National Organization for Marriage.

Additionally, they have sent an internal memo to franchisees and stakeholders that stated that, as a company, they will “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect-regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender,” and that their “intent is not to engage in political or social debates.” This statement was placed into an official company document called “Chick-fil-A: Who We Are.”
MORE: PRESS RELEASE - Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees [Civil Rights Agenda]

http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/09/report-chick-fil-a-more-bothered-by-recent-controversy-than-supporters-wanted-you-to-believe.html

--

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like if the internet was around and we could see which companies were *strongly against* the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution (Woman's Suffrage - aka the Right to Vote.)

@underlined. Political agendas it disagrees with.

hmmmm.

Good news everyone! This means more customers for Smeags to serve!

Signature goes here!

*Awaits anti-gay boycotters*

I'm confused how this proves boycotts work? This doesn't say that the CEO wont donate his personal money to the organizations... which started it all.

Around the Network

And people say political intimidation doesn't work. You go, Alderman Moreno!

Tits. Now i can eat there again.

Though i think i haven't eaten there in like 10 years

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

badgenome said:

And people say political intimidation doesn't work. You go, Alderman Moreno!

Political intimidation? It's not like the guy had any power to do any harm whatsoever to Chick-Fil-A.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

Political intimidation? It's not like the guy had any power to do any harm whatsoever to Chick-Fil-A.

Except denying them a permit to open a location in "his" ward.

I don't think this has anything to do with the boycott. As far as I know, Chick-fil-A has been doing very well in terms of business the past few months.

Edit:  On a side note, Chick-fil-A probably could have called Alderman's bluff, since I'm pretty sure that would qualify as abuse of his power, and as well a waste of resources to pursue the issue.  The beliefs of the CEO shouldn't impact the expansion of a company.  More than likely the company listened to reason, and realized that they weren't approaching the issue appropriately.  Disagreeing with someone is okay, but organizations, while being pro-Christian, like Focus on the Family, are very dangerous to be associated with since they have no problem infringing on the rights of people of different beliefs.  Ultimately, I do believe Chick-fil-A is an organization that does wish to treat everyone with respect.