By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - And people say Boycotts don't work "Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees "

Agreed Ivor. This is to open up a location in Chicago... Also, what's stopping chick fil a from going back on their word?

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Agreed Ivor. This is to open up a location in Chicago... Also, what's stopping chick fil a from going back on their word?

A PR nightmare worse than the first one?

It's not like people wouldn't find out if they started having WinShape donate to discriminatory organizations again.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

That had nothing to do with a Boycott and everything to do with an Alderman agreeing to a Chick-Fil-A he actually planned to oppose before any of the anti-gay issues were brought up again.

He no doubt did so to land himself a big win on his resume for seeking further bigger office and to lock in the gay rights vote.

Well considering the first PR nightmare actually turned out to be a dream...

IvorEvilen said:

Edit:  On a side note, Chick-fil-A probably could have called Alderman's bluff, since I'm pretty sure that would qualify as abuse of his power, and as well a waste of resources to pursue the issue.  The beliefs of the CEO shouldn't impact the expansion of a company.  More than likely the company listened to reason, and realized that they weren't approaching the issue appropriately.  Disagreeing with someone is okay, but organizations, while being pro-Christian, like Focus on the Family, are very dangerous to be associated with since they have no problem infringing on the rights of people of different beliefs.  Ultimately, I do believe Chick-fil-A is an organization that does wish to treat everyone with respect.

Actually they wouldn't of won that.

Originally the Alderman wanted to reject Chick-Fil-A from opening there because of Traffic Reasons.

After this gay thing broke out, he realized he could win big points by saying THAT was why he was against it.  When in reality he had already rejected the chick fil-a before this became apparent or a big deal.

Now this gives him an even BIGGER win, and Chic Fil-a gets their shop...

the losers?  The Alderman's ward apparently, since the Chic Fil-a is going to be in a location that makes traffic dangerous/bad.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Max King of the Wild said:

A PR nightmare worse than the first one?

It's not like people wouldn't find out if they started having WinShape donate to discriminatory organizations again.

I'm sure instead of just donating directly to anti-gay organizations.  Chic-Fil-A will just give money to the Owner... who will then give money to anti-gay organizations.

This is just a symbolic move negotiated by this Alderman to get himself some liberal cred, so he can run for higher office.

Huge infringement on freedom of belief guys. Huge.

TruckOSaurus said:
Good news everyone! This means more customers for Smeags to serve!

I'd rather wash dishes. Serving customers kills me slowly.

Hi! Welcome to Chick-Fil-A how may I serve you?

*four hours later*

This is why CFA is once a week only.

Sometimes boycotts or extreme outside pressure leads to terrible things happening, like polygamists being forced into hiding where instead of being assimilated into our culture they're forced into isolated communities where predators rape and oppress women. If the Mormon church had never buckled to outside pressure, the monogamists would have eventually gotten over their bias and learned to live with other people being polygamist so long as there was no coercion or incest.

sperrico87 said:
Sometimes boycotts or extreme outside pressure leads to terrible things happening, like polygamists being forced into hiding where instead of being assimilated into our culture they're forced into isolated communities where predators rape and oppress women. If the Mormon church had never buckled to outside pressure, the monogamists would have eventually gotten over their bias and learned to live with other people being polygamist so long as there was no coercion or incest.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.  Do you mean when the Mormon Church gave up polygamy so Utah could become a state?

Or something else?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!