By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - And people say Boycotts don't work "Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees "

Zappykins said:
sperrico87 said:
Sometimes boycotts or extreme outside pressure leads to terrible things happening, like polygamists being forced into hiding where instead of being assimilated into our culture they're forced into isolated communities where predators rape and oppress women. If the Mormon church had never buckled to outside pressure, the monogamists would have eventually gotten over their bias and learned to live with other people being polygamist so long as there was no coercion or incest.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.  Do you mean when the Mormon Church gave up polygamy so Utah could become a state?

Or something else?

In 1890 and 1904 when they turned their back on almost half of their congregation and said definitively that they wanted nothing to do with polygamy because it had become such a big problem with the national papers and politicians.  They gave in to outside pressure and it wasn't necessary.  Eventually people would have gotten over their bias about polygamy, but the Church caved just to save their image.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Agreed Ivor. This is to open up a location in Chicago... Also, what's stopping chick fil a from going back on their word?

A PR nightmare worse than the first one?

It's not like people wouldn't find out if they started having WinShape donate to discriminatory organizations again.

I'm sure instead of just donating directly to anti-gay organizations.  Chic-Fil-A will just give money to the Owner... who will then give money to anti-gay organizations.

This is just a symbolic move negotiated by this Alderman to get himself some liberal cred, so he can run for higher office.

All of this was over $1,000 donated to the FRC. You think that they would rather pull the $1,000 and get more good press?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

IvorEvilen said:

I don't think this has anything to do with the boycott. As far as I know, Chick-fil-A has been doing very well in terms of business the past few months.

Edit:  On a side note, Chick-fil-A probably could have called Alderman's bluff, since I'm pretty sure that would qualify as abuse of his power, and as well a waste of resources to pursue the issue.  The beliefs of the CEO shouldn't impact the expansion of a company.  More than likely the company listened to reason, and realized that they weren't approaching the issue appropriately.  Disagreeing with someone is okay, but organizations, while being pro-Christian, like Focus on the Family, are very dangerous to be associated with since they have no problem infringing on the rights of people of different beliefs.  Ultimately, I do believe Chick-fil-A is an organization that does wish to treat everyone with respect.

Chick-Fil-A is a business whose job is to serve chicken sandwiches.  It likely felt it didn't make sense to end up supporting groups that actively try to ban gay marriage.  They aren't in business to ban gay marriage.  Yes, at the core is a desire to glorify Jesus, and there are ways to do it without getting caught up in a certain issue.  And they decided not to get caught up with this one.  I wonder if Huckabee will now organize a boycott of Chick-Fil-A over this.

As for saying "Boycotts don't work", I guess the cries to boycott Nabisco over the whole Gay Oreos thing worked to, because Nabisco never came out with one.  For me, I see the cries being similar here.  I find companies are complicated, as people are, and you can things that really offend you.

Anyhow, it is good to "follow the money".  This article adds details to:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120921/BUSINESS07/120921005/Chick-fil-A-s-cave-stirs-new-backlash

"They have to move out of being a regional, cult brand into being a true national brand with all the responsibilities that go with it," says Ron Paul, president of the restaurant consulting firm Technomic. He says Chick-fil-A's domestic sales will surpass KFC's within the next year or two as it expands into more urban markets.

The company is on the cusp of becoming the top domestic brand saleswise int he United States, and needs to factor in a lot of things in what they do. 

" I guess the cries to boycott Nabisco over the whole Gay Oreos thing worked to, because Nabisco never came out with one."

Nabisco said at the beginning they never inteded to come out with a rainbow coloured Oreo - they put the photo out in support of Gay Pride Month.  The original image was the 7 layer rainbow cookie and the workd Pride.  It was just a picture.

They do make a double stuffed - but a 7 layer stuffed oreo would probably get all squishy. But it would be a mouthful of frosting and equality goodness.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:

" I guess the cries to boycott Nabisco over the whole Gay Oreos thing worked to, because Nabisco never came out with one."

Nabisco said at the beginning they never inteded to come out with a rainbow coloured Oreo - they put the photo out in support of Gay Pride Month.  The original image was the 7 layer rainbow cookie and the workd Pride.  It was just a picture.

They do make a double stuffed - but a 7 layer stuffed oreo would probably get all squishy. But it would be a mouthful of frosting and equality goodness.

If anything it would piss off the health-food folks more than the anti-gay folks.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Is a company/whatever that likes gays not having a political agenda too? So it means neither anti gay nor gay will get help.

Zappykins said:

According to the Chicago-based Civil Rights Agenda, Chick-fil-A has made some drastic changes to its policies. Press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees

September 18, 2012 – Chicago, Illinois – The Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA), Illinois’ largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights advocacy organization, has learned that Alderman Moreno has finalized his negotiations with Chick-Fil-A. Alderman Moreno’s advocacy has resulted in the company confirming that they will no longer give money to anti-gay organizations. The Civil Rights Agenda worked closely with the Alderman in an advisory role as he negotiated these concessions with the executives at Chick-fil-A.

In a letter addressed to Alderman Moreno and signed by Chick-fil-A’s Senior Director of Real Estate, it states, “The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.” In meetings the company executives clarified that they will no longer give to anti-gay organizations, such as Focus on the Family and the National Organization for Marriage.

Additionally, they have sent an internal memo to franchisees and stakeholders that stated that, as a company, they will “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect-regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender,” and that their “intent is not to engage in political or social debates.” This statement was placed into an official company document called “Chick-fil-A: Who We Are.”
MORE: PRESS RELEASE - Chick-fil-A Ceases Anti-gay Donations, Clarifies Stance on Gay Customers & Employees [Civil Rights Agenda]

http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/09/report-chick-fil-a-more-bothered-by-recent-controversy-than-supporters-wanted-you-to-believe.html

--

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like if the internet was around and we could see which companies were *strongly against* the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution (Woman's Suffrage - aka the Right to Vote.)

As others have already stated, this has absolutely nothing to do with the "boycott". Chick-fil-A has had better sales in most regions since the "boycott" started, between anti-gays supporting them more, most gays that I know not caring, and just the fact that "any press is good press".

SW-5120-1900-6153

I doubt that if people took this seriously that the boycott would have done very much good due to the fact that there are still a rather large amount of people who support what Chik-Fil-A believes in. Since it's family owned (I guess?) they probably wouldn't care as much about losing customers. That's my speculation though.