By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Non Nintendo fans, what do you think of the WiiU now?

MRKs said:
So basically, no non-nintendo-fan will buy the console. No surprises here...

I would consider myself a fan, and i wont be getting one...now. I will wait as there is nothing software wise that i really need the Wii U for. You dont have to blindly buy anything with a Ninty name on the box day 1 to be a fan

Around the Network

I'm quite certain that the people who says Nintendo consoles don't offer them anything they're interested in (that isn't multiplat) haven't played more than Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby from Nintendo. There are a lot of other 1st and 3rd party exclusives on Nintendo consoles that hit every other genre. I think a lot of this is just excuses as to say one console is better. I also feel like people don't understand how much more powerful the Wii U is than the 360 and PS3. People say the vague things like "it's not much stronger" or "barely any difference" and I even saw the "if you use the pro-controller on the Wii U it isn't any different than the PS360." The Wii U is at the very bare minimum twice as powerful as the "current gen" (though I would say it's more like 3.5 times or so) and I don't see how twice as powerful equates as "barely." Especially since when you talk about multiplying the power difference, as you get more and more powerful, that difference between the systems is exponentially different. 1 x 2 = 2. 2 x 2 = 4. 4 x 2 = 8. 8 x 2 = 16. Basic math.
I'm also seeing people saying that it costs too much money for what it is. If that was meant to be about the library it has available, then that's legitimate. However, it reads to be that it costs too much money for how powerful it is. However, $250 is okay for a PS3/360? The Wii U is only $50 more.

I'm a Nintendo fan, as I've owned every console they've released since the NES. I'm 33, so to me, they are basically the company of my childhood. Having said that? This is the first console I had little interest in. I don't like how they're trying to go for us core gamers, whilist releasing an underpowered system with no achievements, no great online connectivity like XBL, no multimedia capabilities like DVD and Blu-Ray play back etc. It's almost like they just don't WANT hardcore gamers anymore.

I love Nintendo and their franchises, but I just know it's going to suffer. The power of the system is going to cripple it and 3rd parties are going to jump ship like they have been doing since the N64. I honestly see this console finishing last, like the Gamecube.

prayformojo said:
I'm a Nintendo fan, as I've owned every console they've released since the NES. I'm 33, so to me, they are basically the company of my childhood. Having said that? This is the first console I had little interest in. I don't like how they're trying to go for us core gamers, whilist releasing an underpowered system with no achievements, no great online connectivity like XBL, no multimedia capabilities like DVD and Blu-Ray play back etc. It's almost like they just don't WANT hardcore gamers anymore.

I love Nintendo and their franchises, but I just know it's going to suffer. The power of the system is going to cripple it and 3rd parties are going to jump ship like they have been doing since the N64. I honestly see this console finishing last, like the Gamecube.

This. Crippled is definitely the word to describe the Wii U once the next Playstation and Xbox come out. They will be fully harnessing the newest engines without being dumbed down, so I feel for Nintendo. Hopefully they put out some quality titles to keep peoples minds off of the excessive graphics and focusing on solid gameplay. The Wii had some but not nearly enough. God I miss the PSX/PS2 era. The Wii U feels like its going to be a N64 type console. Nintendo was never known for harnessing their consoles power even when they were more powerful than the competition.

oniyide said:
MRKs said:

I would consider myself a fan, and i wont be getting one...now. I will wait as there is nothing software wise that i really need the Wii U for. You dont have to blindly buy anything with a Ninty name on the box day 1 to be a fan

But this thread is for non fans only :P

Of course you don't have to buy anything from nintendo being a fan. I would call myself a nintendo fan (at least this generation :P) and will not buy the U right away. I need more games (or bayonetta 2 for that matter)

But my point was, even though nintendo wanted to attract more people and appeal to the "hardcore" gamers, non nintendo fans still don't want to buy the console.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Around the Network

I was more impressed then I thought I would be, but I'm still not sold. I am an old Nintendo fan, but they have fallen out of my good graces. They would have to bring some amazing games to their new console for me to be interested enough to buy one. I was also disappointed to hear that the new Zelda to be released in 2014 would have the look of Skyward Sword. I wasn't a fan of that look. Maybe, if they released an amazing Metroid Prime 4 I would pick it up. Actually, then I would buy one. My final thought is that the specs seam very low. I was very surprised to see that the premium edition only had 32 GB. I don't see how they can possibly compete with the online of Microsoft and Sony with the HD being so limited. I guess we'll all wait and see.

MRKs said:
oniyide said:
MRKs said:

But this thread is for non fans only :P

Of course you don't have to buy anything from nintendo being a fan. I would call myself a nintendo fan (at least this generation :P) and will not buy the U right away. I need more games (or bayonetta 2 for that matter)

But my point was, even though nintendo wanted to attract more people and appeal to the "hardcore" gamers, non nintendo fans still don't want to buy the console.

fair enough, the problem is is that, what they are trying to do is...hard. Really hard. they are trying to win over people who have been gaming on PS360 for years. They have a uphill battle the size of Kilamanjaro and its not going to get that much easier. We still dont know much about their online and how do they expect to peel people away from Live?? How do they get those millions of COD players who have their own mini communites on Live/PSN to just quit that and start essentially anew on another system?? They are getting much better third party support than before, but they are still not getting all the games; Crysis3, Bioshock, TR, RE6, FC3 and others either have been confirmed to not be coming to Wii U or we dont know nothing about it. The games they have shown have very little graphical difference, you can quote me specs all day but in the real world most dont care, they want to actually see better looking and we've havent seen that so far, hell we barely seen the upad function in some games, watched a AC3 trailer for Wii u and it was the same damn trailer they've had for months except it has a Wii U box at the end. not a good look.

They are trying, i respect that.

MDMAlliance said:
I'm quite certain that the people who says Nintendo consoles don't offer them anything they're interested in (that isn't multiplat) haven't played more than Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby from Nintendo. There are a lot of other 1st and 3rd party exclusives on Nintendo consoles that hit every other genre. I think a lot of this is just excuses as to say one console is better. I also feel like people don't understand how much more powerful the Wii U is than the 360 and PS3. People say the vague things like "it's not much stronger" or "barely any difference" and I even saw the "if you use the pro-controller on the Wii U it isn't any different than the PS360." The Wii U is at the very bare minimum twice as powerful as the "current gen" (though I would say it's more like 3.5 times or so) and I don't see how twice as powerful equates as "barely." Especially since when you talk about multiplying the power difference, as you get more and more powerful, that difference between the systems is exponentially different. 1 x 2 = 2. 2 x 2 = 4. 4 x 2 = 8. 8 x 2 = 16. Basic math.
I'm also seeing people saying that it costs too much money for what it is. If that was meant to be about the library it has available, then that's legitimate. However, it reads to be that it costs too much money for how powerful it is. However, $250 is okay for a PS3/360? The Wii U is only $50 more.

Why is it so hard to imagine that some people dont like Ninty games?? Its ok not to like them and it being completly unmalicious.

People dont understand how its "much" more powerful than PS360, whose fault is that, thats up to Ninty to do or not do and they are not going to do that with NSMBWu. YOu can quote specs till you are blue in the face but in the real world very little care, its about showing not telling and be honest is there any game being released in the first two months for Wii U that looks "much" better than anything of PS360??

Monges79 said:
I was more impressed then I thought I would be, but I'm still not sold. I am an old Nintendo fan, but they have fallen out of my good graces. They would have to bring some amazing games to their new console for me to be interested enough to buy one. I was also disappointed to hear that the new Zelda to be released in 2014 would have the look of Skyward Sword. I wasn't a fan of that look. Maybe, if they released an amazing Metroid Prime 4 I would pick it up. Actually, then I would buy one. My final thought is that the specs seam very low. I was very surprised to see that the premium edition only had 32 GB. I don't see how they can possibly compete with the online of Microsoft and Sony with the HD being so limited. I guess we'll all wait and see.

Reggie already mentioned that because of the prices of external HDDs and flash memory currently plummeting, they didn't want to incorporate too much of them and sell the device at a premium because of that.  They decided to let the users choose what size of HDD would better suit their needs and wallets (you can go for a 3TB external drive if you so choose, for example).  

oniyide said:
MDMAlliance said:

Why is it so hard to imagine that some people dont like Ninty games?? Its ok not to like them and it being completly unmalicious.

People dont understand how its "much" more powerful than PS360, whose fault is that, thats up to Ninty to do or not do and they are not going to do that with NSMBWu. YOu can quote specs till you are blue in the face but in the real world very little care, its about showing not telling and be honest is there any game being released in the first two months for Wii U that looks "much" better than anything of PS360??

This is a legitimate complaint.  Nintendo was mum on Wii specs because next to PS360 it couldn't hope to compare.   They weren't worried about the specs because the strategy was for playstyle.

This time around though, if they're truly going for the hardcore, they need to hype up their specs.  Even if you have to make up something like "blast processing" to get the hype train rolling, they need to do it.  Truth is, we've hit a mhz limit on most chips (we've had 2.5-3.5 ghz chips for years now), so there's no number that nintendo will be able to point to and say "this is clearly better because of this number our system does compared to their system".  WiiU chips likely run at the same clock speeds as PS360, but the improvements are all under the hood.  Much like how a current gen intel i series at 2.4 ghz blows away a pentium 4 at 2.4 ghz.  Mhz mean less and less.

So its difficult for nintendo to show in a soundbyte that their system is jacked up.  But 7 years of technology and processor design is nothing to turn your nose up at.  Their chip is a watson, the family of IBM's most powerful chips, and among the most powerful chips on the planet.

You'll see starwars 1313 level graphics on the WiiU.  You'll see UE4.  WiiU is nothing to scoff at.  There's just nothing to show yet that demonstrates that well.  ZombiU is a game designed for current gen.  As is Trine 2 (which looks beautiful) and Rayman Legends.  Give it a little while.  By the time PS4 and Xbox3 come around, you'll see that WiiU is indeed a next gen machine.

Check out my Youtube Let's Play channel here.