By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FFXHD in trouble?

Tagged games:

So...is this game dead?

Yes, just let it go. 19 21.11%

I wouldn't be too confident 8 8.89%

Flip a coin! 13 14.44%

Keep the fayth! 25 27.78%

It's on its way, Yevon will allow it! 25 27.78%

Total:90
fillet said:
SnowPrince said:
When the title was announced for the first time back in the last TGS, Square Enix communicated that FFX was still on "Research Phase" so the developement hadn't started yet at that time..
It's too early to start making guesses.

"Research Phase"....Marketing talk for "Sitting on our arse".

We're talking about a HD upscale of a 10 year old game....That does not need a "Research Phase", it needs source code and a few hundred hours of development by 5 people.

I highly doubt it's that simple.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
MDMAlliance said:
fillet said:
SnowPrince said:
When the title was announced for the first time back in the last TGS, Square Enix communicated that FFX was still on "Research Phase" so the developement hadn't started yet at that time..

We're talking about a HD upscale of a 10 year old game....That does not need a "Research Phase", it needs source code and a few hundred hours of development by 5 people.

You'd be surprised...

No, I'm almost 100% sure it isn't that simple.  Not for this game, at least.  It's not copy/paste.  The original game was a PS2 game, and a lot has (and could have) changed since then.  Not only this, but you don't put a simple code in to make the visuals go from SD to HD.  Prioritizing also comes with this, and a team of 5 people using only a few hundred hours of development is completely absurd when you're talking about a game that also isn't the simplest of games either.

Bristow9091 said:

Obviously I know you don't use code to make the visuals increase, I know how they do it since I do 3D modelling myself, lol. It's also kind of obvious he didn't literally mean 5 people, but you wouldn't need an entire team to be working on it...

I was referring to his example in a literal sense due to the nature of what it implies.  Also, we don't know to what extent the FFXHD port is just an HD port or an enhanced port close enough to being a remake.  

Bristow9091 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Bristow9091 said:
MDMAlliance said:
fillet said:
SnowPrince said:

You'd be surprised...

No, I'm almost 100% sure it isn't that simple.  Not for this game, at least.  It's not copy/paste.  The original game was a PS2 game, and a lot has (and could have) changed since then.  Not only this, but you don't put a simple code in to make the visuals go from SD to HD.  Prioritizing also comes with this, and a team of 5 people using only a few hundred hours of development is completely absurd when you're talking about a game that also isn't the simplest of games either.

Obviously I know you don't use code to make the visuals increase, I know how they do it since I do 3D modelling myself, lol. It's also kind of obvious he didn't literally mean 5 people, but you wouldn't need an entire team to be working on it...

in a normal case what your saying is partially valid. But I think you should do alittle research. Because if you did, you'd know that Square Enix is basically remaking it. They are Putting the game on the Engine Crystal tools, the FFXIII engine and changing the way Blitz ball is played because whether you like or love FFX everyone knows Blitz ball was BS. So the game will be like what FFIV for PSP is compared to PSOne and SNES. Also I'm sure they are rerecording it or something for higher quality and thats extremely time consuming for a RPG.

Bristow9091 said:
Teflon02 said:

in a normal case what your saying is partially valid. But I think you should do alittle research. Because if you did, you'd know that Square Enix is basically remaking it. They are Putting the game on the Engine Crystal tools, the FFXIII engine and changing the way Blitz ball is played because whether you like or love FFX everyone knows Blitz ball was BS. So the game will be like what FFIV for PSP is compared to PSOne and SNES. Also I'm sure they are rerecording it or something for higher quality and thats extremely time consuming for a RPG.

Actually I very much enjoyed Blitzball lol, and I wasn't aware they were using the Crystal Tools engine either... I thought it was a straight upgrade, this is good news then, especially if it means they're putting all the extra effort in. Hopefully we'll see something of it at TGS then.

They might just be updating the lighting model with the Crystal Tools.  I don't think they'll be changing texture work or character models.  And if they do O.O

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
Bristow9091 said:
Teflon02 said:

Actually I very much enjoyed Blitzball lol, and I wasn't aware they were using the Crystal Tools engine either... I thought it was a straight upgrade, this is good news then, especially if it means they're putting all the extra effort in. Hopefully we'll see something of it at TGS then.

They might just be updating the lighting model with the Crystal Tools.  I don't think they'll be changing texture work or character models.  And if they do O.O

I can't remember perfectly but I beleave character Models are being rebuilt.

Btw lol, first person to say they liked blitz ball :p. But I think the textures for character models are redone, and all the others maybe cleaned up. I'm sure they'll do it good cause I got FFIV complete and it is the perfect upgrade to the original as is FFI and FFII on psp. So I'm confident, though it won't come til atleast spring next year at this rate.

Square Enix seriously needs to restructure their product development departments. There ineptitude in creating games is absolutely astounding and never fails to amaze me, they must have some awful people overseeing the production of these games. How hard is it to up-res and old PS2 game? its been done numerous times before. Or to try and release a game in the generation it was announced ( actually I think FFV13 was announced before the PS3 even came out). This company is a disgrace.

Teflon02 said:

I can't remember perfectly but I beleave character Models are being rebuilt.

Btw lol, first person to say they liked blitz ball :p. But I think the textures for character models are redone, and all the others maybe cleaned up. I'm sure they'll do it good cause I got FFIV complete and it is the perfect upgrade to the original as is FFI and FFII on psp. So I'm confident, though it won't come til atleast spring next year at this rate.

Unlikely, but hey, we can all hope =D.  Though the cutscene models in Final Fantasy X are actually really good.  They hold up pretty well even compared to the models in Final Fantasy XIII, if they replace the battle models with them (In battle and in cutscenes) then they don't really need to be redone.  The default texture work is probably the best on the PS2, which is why I don't think they'll need to redo them.  Throw in 2xAA with 720p resolution and cleanup the framerate (Framerate in cutscenes wasn't very consistent) and you'll have a very good looking game as is.  Add an actual lighting model and it'll make the game look even better.

Bristow9091 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Bristow9091 said:
MDMAlliance said:
fillet said:
SnowPrince said:

You'd be surprised...

You can already render final fantasy x at a higher resolution on PC using PCX2. And a pretty goood PC.

http://www.electricblueskies.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Final-Fantasy-X-10-Wallpaper-set3-06-BATTLE-DINONIX-+-GOLD-ELEMENT+-KILLER-BEE.jpg}

FFXII can already be rendered at 1080P since it supports widescreen. And looks better, than most current generation RPG's, better than any that I can think of besides FFXIII, and Xenoblade emulated on PC :P. However this game since it's so big has aweful sound compression (to me it sounds worse than FFX) so it would be nice of them to

Put 10,10-2,XII in a pack... maybe even Dirge and call it a FF PS2 pack. Would be awesome but alas, idk.

However, they do have to recode it somewhat because of the PS3/PSVita. This is just using an emulator, and raw power to mimic the PS2. As Opposed to porting it.

Peterisyum said:
Square Enix seriously needs to restructure their product development departments. There ineptitude in creating games is absolutely astounding and never fails to amaze me, they must have some awful people overseeing the production of these games. How hard is it to up-res and old PS2 game? its been done numerous times before. Or to try and release a game in the generation it was announced ( actually I think FFV13 was announced before the PS3 even came out). This company is a disgrace.

Amen/

On a seperate note.

In regard to my comment of chucking 5 guys in a room with the source code and giving them a few hundred hours to churn out that game. Well I will admit I am not a developer, I have no knowledge of this stuff per se directly. But I do follow things like porting development and what not. I'm pretty sure we're talking something quite close to this in terms of developer investment.

That is assuming this is a HD "enhancement" (or basic upscale in human speak and if previous "enhancments" are anything to go by). Sure if it's a remake then I have no idea at all on developer investment, but official comment currently is that it is 100% a HD upscale with a couple of bells and whistles.

If you want to know a rough guide on the actual PROGRAMMING aspect, just have a look at the end credits for most games that aren't massive blockbusters and you will be surprised just how few people it actually takes to code a game. Most of the work comes in the form of the assets.

Considering the code is just being ported to the PS3, well it can't take that long. The real reason for this taking so long is clearly ineptitude and financially motivated, likely they are trying to tie in the release date with some other "proper" release.