By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oh boy , IGN is doing another TOP 100 list - TOP 100 RPGS ALL TIME

Tagged games:

do you like this top 100 bs?

no 74 53.24%

yes 46 33.09%

results 18 12.95%

Total:138
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
man-bear-pig said:

Is Skyrim #1?

Probably will be xD

Doubtful, IGN made an article saying why Dark Souls will eat Skyrim's face. 

EDIT: Persona 4 at 90! Wow IGN, what more did I expect. Doubt anybody there even played the game, probably too busy with whatever garbage Square Enix is crapping out. Oh, well at least they showed some Might and Magic love. The Witcher 2 is far too low as well. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Alphachris said:
Well, i must admit that Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger were initially not released for the SNES in Europe. I have played both games only after they were re-released on the handhelds.

Chrono Trigger had only 1 ending for the first playhtrough. You could only see the other endings on New game +... so the whole story was created as a linear story for the first playthrough.

I don't think that reading a summary of a story is comparable to playing the game. The summary only gives you a brief idea of what is going on, but you miss many things not covered in the summary.

For me, the great JRPGs make you think about a moral dilemma and the characters are there for oyu to see different points of view. Western stories often have a black and white scheme and do not want to make you think about what is going on. They are just more than simple entertainment. Like a theater play they want to change the way you think about moral dilemmas.

Final Fantasy VII For example made you think about environmental problems. Final Fantasy X made you think about the consequences of blind belief. Final Fantasy XII made you think about the impact of powerful weapons like the use of atomic bombs. Final Fantasy XIII made you think about the effects of Propanda...

They all share deep and complex moral dilemmas that you are not confronted with in "normal games". Sophistiacted JRPGs even left the hero vs. villain scheme and tried to deliver characters of equal importance. And the villains are not just pure evil, they all have their own motivations. Also games like Grandia or Suikoden have their own focuses on moral topics.

If you reduce these games to the simple gameplay mechanics, you lose a lot of what they are meant to be. Sure, if the gameplay is atrocious, you would probably stop playing. Thinking about what is going on or why certain characters are acting like they do is just part of the fun. Maybe that is why modern JRPGs like Final Fantasy XII or Final Fantasy XIII are often criticised for their stories... because you can't just passively watch them. You have to put in some thinking and memorizing.

It is just a matter of preference. For me Oblivion was the most boring RPG that I have ever played. You have the gameplay and you have the content, but without a good main story the whole game felt like a waste of time. I was missing something that wanted me to keep playing. I want to see what will happen next... In Oblivion the "next" thing is just a stupid sidequest or a randomly generated dungeon because the main story was just uninspired and boring.

Well, perhaps you should just avoid FF7. You already made your mind about the game and I don't think that you will enjoy it properly. The Materia system was interesting, but Final Fantasy games are seldom a real challenge. Most FFs have a good combo that makes the whole game all too easy... but as I said the story is the real focus of a good JRPG.

This is simply not true.  While its extremely unlikely you'd be able to defeat lavos the first opportunity you get, its still very much possible.  There are also multiple endings depending on how you handle the BIGGEST SPOILER IN VIDEOGAME HISTORY!!!!  Those can be accessed on the first playthrough as well.

Also, to the rabid FF7 fans: you only think its the best because its the first FF you played.  It really isn't that wonderful.  Its awesome, no doubt, and I blew 40 hrs in one week on it when I first got it, but it isn't the best by a long shot.  But it is better than every game that has come since, except for maybe 12.  That big emotional moment in 7 that had every fanboy crying?  There were 4 or 5 moments of equal or greater emotion in 6.  6 tells a better story.  6 has better character development (seriously, cloud goes from being "I'm a soldier" to "I'm a loser" to "I'm a loser, but I have to save the world anyway").  None of the other characters actually develop or change at all.  You learn about them through backstory, but no character actually matures in any appreciable way.  FF6 is all about character change, that's why I said they were better characters.

And seriously, Kefka is a better villain.  While Sephiroth goes mad with (sorrow? dissilusionment? anger? dissappointment?), Kefka went mad with power, and actually succeeded in ENDING THE WORLD.  Sephiroth can go cry to his headless mommy all he wants.  Kefka's out getting the job done.

Overworld:  Better because its bigger, has more points of interest, and THERE ARE TWO OF THEM.

Guns?  Again, in the original SNES release, nobody had a gun.  The battle at Narshe was animated by having the characters smack up against each other, implying heavily a melee battle.  Guns don't belong in Fantasy.

The magic system was more sophisticated than the materia system and actually required planning ahead.  No magically transferable skills. You don't pick up a rock and suddenly know how to caste Ultima. You have to spend time with the magic and actually LEARN the spells.  Its the ultimate in character customizations.  In FF7, anybody can be anything, at any time.  This isn't a positive, as it reduces the characters to the materia they have equipped, and not the powerful characters you built them to be through the whole game.

Also, this:

FF7 characters are plainly ridiculous.

Check out my Youtube Let's Play channel here.

such lists never hold credibility, because, well, they are based on personal opinion, in my eyes, the top ten would be full of Suikoden games, Suikoden II occupying 8/10 ranks up in the top ten, this is how superior I think it is compared to other RPGs, and another person won't even bother to put it into the top 50...

also, the list first completely failed when Lufia II was on 87 ♪♫

forevercloud3000 said:
Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Crono141 said:
Why is FF6 better than 7?

Better Story, Better Characters, More expressive characters, more emotion, better art, better atmosphere, better music, better villain, better overworld, bigger overworld, more personality, better pacing, less linear. Also, its much more a traditional fantasy universe (with steampunk/magipunk elements), where FF7 is the first game to jump into a quasi modern "we have guns, but everybody still fights with swords anyway" universe.

FF7 had pretty FMVs, and it had great moments as well. I'm not knocking the masterpiece that is FF7. But FF6 is a better game all around.

Is it a question of taste? Of course. YMMV. I just think FF6 had a lot more going for it.

Better Characters? In what way? I can seriously only think of one character even worth talking about from VI and that was Terra....and as far as characters go she is probably the worst main protaganist in the entire series. She is weak willed, timid, self doubting and a total damsel in distress for more than half of the game. Almost every JRPG fan can name the entire cast from VII even without loving all of them.

FF6...  really doesn't have a single protaganist.  Though if you have to pinpoint one, really Celes or Locke fit better.

As for villian motivations.... what was Sephy's big motviation again that didn't make him a cookie cutter villian?  Kefka's motives are actually pretty great if you pay attention.   He's an extremely selfish nihilist.

I played FFVI, after VII, but I did indeed play it. I enjoyed what I did play but to me it pales pretty epically in comparison to what came in the PS1-2 days. I am a person who enjoys great graphics but my opinion has never been dependant on them. I LOVE Chrono Trigger and can stand beside it being one of the greatest games of all time. But VI? No...

The Characters of VI seemed to be thrown in a pot of whatever SE thought would be cool (See Vincent and Yuffie in VII). The whole lot of them were characatures of just that. Their plots never really touched me at all as the whole game felt pretty comical to me(In comparison to VII's ability to have comical moments but then turn serious). This could not be helped with the super goofy villain that is Kefka, the poor man's version of the Joker. 

On the other hand, each character in VII had distinctive personality flaws that are worked on and explored as the game goes on.

Cloud:A nobody with dreams of being great but comes to the rude realization that he is just average but hides behind a facade of narcisism to give the appearance he is as great as he wants everyone to think he is.

Tifa: Dreamy eyed female best friend from Cloud's childhood who was always pretty popular but doesn't come to realize what she could of had until it is already gone.

Aeris/th: a flower girl who could see into the eyes of the lifestream, knowing what she must do she faces it head on without hesitation. One can even say in a Jesus like sacrificial way. She imbeds herself in the party and somehow becomes this rock that helps make them all stronger.

Barrett: hard working avg guy, but with strong ideals and sense of what is right.

RedXIII: the lion hearted animal going through a rebelious phase but he has been kept from the truth.

Cid: wallowing drunkard who had big dreams but comes to grips of it's impossibility in spite himself.

Cait Sith:A comic relief character but even within that he has depth. He is secretly one of the bad guys who uses this robot as a guise to help you because he no longer feels comfortable doing what he knows is wrong.

Kefka has no decisive reasoning to do what he does. Selfishness as a motivation would imply a "Mine!" personality but that is not him. He is simply put "I HATE! I HATE!" and it never goes any deeper. Sephiroth is not a complete departure from villainy norms but he still stands out a lot better than Kefka. Sephiroth had an almost religious like devotion to the alien parasite known as Jenova. With such a crazy level of adoration you have to give him props for being so devoted to the cause.

Once again, I know it is all opinion but I just can't shake that feeling VI is just cheap ammo against the armies of "FFVII fans". I mean really, FFVII defined a generation of gaming. VI never had any such impact on anything.

Yeah.. except almost none of them actually had any character development... the difference between what you posted and what I did was that you gave out character descriptions mostly, while I mentioned character development.  There is a pretty big difference.   Pretty much only cloud gets any real character development... and even that doesn't really change his situation or personality, it just changes what we know about him.

Again it's selfish nihilism.

and... I'm not sure how much japanese stuff you watch/read, but Sepiroth is as cookie cutter as it gets...

Although, if you think Kefka has no motivation (Which he does, but lets put that aside.)

Which Batman villian is the best again?  What is there defining feature?

As for what selfish Nihilism is, this might give you a hint.

"Why do people insist on creating things that will inevitably be destroyed? Why do people cling to life, knowing that they must someday die? ...Knowing that none of it will have meant anything once they do?"

That spells out Kefka's selfish nihilism pretty well... it's actually a fairly unique reason.

So, there was an update today right?

Anyone have a list of them all so far?

Around the Network

FF9 is 88 and Chrono Cross is also low, so ya the list is going to be terrible I'm sure.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
NobleTeam360 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
man-bear-pig said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
man-bear-pig said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
man-bear-pig said:

Is Skyrim #1?

Probably will be xD

Oh, good. If that's the case then this list is fantastic, because skyrim is the  buggyest  game of all time.

fixed

It's not buggy at all for the X360, so I have no complaints.

Lots of african kids are dying without nothing to eat , but i have food on my table , so i have no complaints.

Hitler is killing  jews, i am no jew , so i have nothing to complain about ...

Your comparing games to hitler? You comment doesn't make sense

no. It makes sense , you dont understand ? your problem...

No it doesn't make sense. An analogy that does make sense would be that Africans have to drink dirty contaminated water so I shouldn't get to enjoy my clean drinking water. And now you can see that what you are trying to imply is ridiculous.

You are allowed to enjoy things others can't, especially games. While it is very lame ps3 skyrim owners got the shaft it is irrelevent to my gameplay experience since I played it on the PC. So why should I rate the game poorly.

Thanks Basil. I want Suikoden 2 to be there, somewhere.

Fire Emblem is in #83, now I want to kill someone

List so far for those too lazy to go through all the pages:

100 - Ys Book I & II
99 - Lunar: Eternal Blue
98 - Shadow Hearts: Covenant
97 - Final Fantasy VIII
96 - Phantasy Star
95 - The Legend of Dragoon
94 - Vagrant Story
93 - Tales of Phatansia
92 - Diablo III
91 - Fable II