By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oh boy , IGN is doing another TOP 100 list - TOP 100 RPGS ALL TIME

Tagged games:

do you like this top 100 bs?

no 74 53.24%

yes 46 33.09%

results 18 12.95%

Total:138
Soriku said:

LOL at Persona 4 at #90. There are not 90 games better than P4, let alone 90 games in the RPG genre alone. This list failed before it even started and this is ignoring the disgrace that Shadow Hearts: Covenant, KH1, and FF IX received as well.

LOL WHAT!!?! This should be a crime!!! Persona 4 should at least be in 20's territory. List is a bust already.... -_-'

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
Crono141 said:
Why is FF6 better than 7?

Better Story, Better Characters, More expressive characters, more emotion, better art, better atmosphere, better music, better villain, better overworld, bigger overworld, more personality, better pacing, less linear. Also, its much more a traditional fantasy universe (with steampunk/magipunk elements), where FF7 is the first game to jump into a quasi modern "we have guns, but everybody still fights with swords anyway" universe.

FF7 had pretty FMVs, and it had great moments as well. I'm not knocking the masterpiece that is FF7. But FF6 is a better game all around.

Is it a question of taste? Of course. YMMV. I just think FF6 had a lot more going for it.

Better Characters? In what way? I can seriously only think of one character even worth talking about from VI and that was Terra....and as far as characters go she is probably the worst main protaganist in the entire series. She is weak willed, timid, self doubting and a total damsel in distress for more than half of the game. Almost every JRPG fan can name the entire cast from VII even without loving all of them.

Kefka is a joke, and not the kind he thinks he is. Totally typical saturday morning WB cartoon villain. No real sense of direction or purpose, simply evil to be evil. That is a horrible villain in my opinion. You can't say that about Seph. And like I have stated many times before...just because Kefka succeeded in his half brained plot he still was defeated in the end, like it never happened. This doesn't make him unequivically better than any of the other game villains. Most assuredly not over Seph who is far more likable and fear inducing.

The guns thing is stupid because there are guns in FFVI too. Guns have popped up in almost all the more futuristic FF games but the characters always still use swords. Why? Because swords are cooler than guns, they take far more skill to use effectively and there is nothing super exiting about someone getting shot but is when you sword battle. Also, have you seen any of the FFVII movies?Before Crisis or Advent Children, they give pretty good reason why one would chose a more agile, limitless weapon than one that runs out of ammo. Cloud and any other skilled fighter in the game can out maneuver and block bullets easily. This might not be realistic but it fits in the world they live in.

Better Overworld? Really? You will have to explain this one to me as I feel it makes no sense.

I am person who prefers SciFi/Apocalyptic worlds more so than steampunk/traditional fantasy environments. Maybe this sleights me to FFVII but I just find them more appealing and interesting to the eye.

So after all that let me be the first to say, I think FFVI has become vastly overratted after this gen started and everyone jumped on this "Uhg, I am sick of FFVII fans. Its not as good as they think so we just throw any old game out there to prove it". Games that have a legitamite claime to the throne in my opinion?

-Chrono Trigger

-Final Fantasy X

Greatness Awaits

Aj_habfan said:
twesterm said:
OMG A LIST DOESN'T EXACTLY MATCH MY POERSONAL LIST!?!?!?!!!!!!! BLASHPEMY

Exactly... reading the comments in this thread is making me ill.

"You might think you like something, but....you could be wrong!"

~Mean Girls, 2004~

You two didn't know opinions could be wrong?

Greatness Awaits

I never liked lists of the best of something, mostly because many people and me at times don't agree with some of the things they pick.

forevercloud3000 said:
pezus said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Cue RPG related anything where the list is advertised heavily with FFVII memorabilia but when you open the list the game is put far behind countless RPGs that damn sure do not deserve to be in front of it. UHG!!!

I just find it super annoying that they use FFVII stuff(see Aeris images in the article) to draw in readers and always rob the game blind of it's spotlight. If FFVII is not at least in the top 5 the list automatically become void. And If I see one more article trying to peddle FFVI as somehow way better than VII I will be sick.

FFVI>VII. You just need to let it go

Its so not on so many levels. Whomever posted the list of how GamerConnect Ranks them, I could live with that one. Chrono Trigger actually had some ground breaking stuff going on it it to warrent being put before FFVII, VI just......UHG it doesn't and I just find it so offensive that people try to make it so.

Most people who played both at time of release seem to disagree.

Considering you were about 5 at the time according to the profile, i'm guessing that wasn't the case.

FF6 vs  Chrono Trigger was pretty much the big RPG arguement of the SNES era that people would debate.

With most people leaning towards FF6

So it really wasn't any kind of backlash towards FF7.

Really, to most people who played 6, and waited eagerly for 7.  They ended up somewhat disapointed.

I know I did, and i bought a PS1 specifically for FF7.

FF7 is more or less the start of mass produced casual friendly final fantasy games with few characters, few stories and little character development.

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
Crono141 said:

Better Story, Better Characters, More expressive characters, more emotion, better art, better atmosphere, better music, better villain, better overworld, bigger overworld, more personality, better pacing, less linear. Also, its much more a traditional fantasy universe (with steampunk/magipunk elements), where FF7 is the first game to jump into a quasi modern "we have guns, but everybody still fights with swords anyway" universe.

FF7 had pretty FMVs, and it had great moments as well. I'm not knocking the masterpiece that is FF7. But FF6 is a better game all around.

Is it a question of taste? Of course. YMMV. I just think FF6 had a lot more going for it.

Better Characters? In what way? I can seriously only think of one character even worth talking about from VI and that was Terra....and as far as characters go she is probably the worst main protaganist in the entire series. She is weak willed, timid, self doubting and a total damsel in distress for more than half of the game. Almost every JRPG fan can name the entire cast from VII even without loving all of them.

FF6...  really doesn't have a single protaganist.  Though if you have to pinpoint one, really Celes or Locke fit better.

It's more book like in delievery.

Also, if you can't really think of characters worth talking about when playing FF6... It makes me wonder if you've even played it.

Nearly every character in FF6 gets a prominent story arc in which changes there very distinct and noticeable personalites. 

There are any number of moments i'd take as far more powerful then anything FF7 delivered.

Like for example, Cyan rushing through the castle after realizing the water had been poisoned, or really any of his moments with his family.

Gau finding his father and trying to impress him.

Finding out Locke's motivation in life

Shadow's dreams and secret story,

Relm and Strago and Strago finding out about Relm's father.

Pretty much everyone but Mog and Umaro anyway.

As for villian motivations.... what was Sephy's big motviation again that didn't make him a cookie cutter villian?  Kefka's motives are actually pretty great if you pay attention.   He's an extremely selfish nihilist.

Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Crono141 said:

FF6...  really doesn't have a single protaganist.  Though if you have to pinpoint one, really Celes or Locke fit better.

As for villian motivations.... what was Sephy's big motviation again that didn't make him a cookie cutter villian?  Kefka's motives are actually pretty great if you pay attention.   He's an extremely selfish nihilist.

I played FFVI, after VII, but I did indeed play it. I enjoyed what I did play but to me it pales pretty epically in comparison to what came in the PS1-2 days. I am a person who enjoys great graphics but my opinion has never been dependant on them. I LOVE Chrono Trigger and can stand beside it being one of the greatest games of all time. But VI? No...

The Characters of VI seemed to be thrown in a pot of whatever SE thought would be cool (See Vincent and Yuffie in VII). The whole lot of them were characatures of just that. Their plots never really touched me at all as the whole game felt pretty comical to me(In comparison to VII's ability to have comical moments but then turn serious). This could not be helped with the super goofy villain that is Kefka, the poor man's version of the Joker. 

On the other hand, each character in VII had distinctive personality flaws that are worked on and explored as the game goes on.

Cloud:A nobody with dreams of being great but comes to the rude realization that he is just average but hides behind a facade of narcisism to give the appearance he is as great as he wants everyone to think he is.

Tifa: Dreamy eyed female best friend from Cloud's childhood who was always pretty popular but doesn't come to realize what she could of had until it is already gone.

Aeris/th: a flower girl who could see into the eyes of the lifestream, knowing what she must do she faces it head on without hesitation. One can even say in a Jesus like sacrificial way. She imbeds herself in the party and somehow becomes this rock that helps make them all stronger.

Barrett: hard working avg guy, but with strong ideals and sense of what is right.

RedXIII: the lion hearted animal going through a rebelious phase but he has been kept from the truth.

Cid: wallowing drunkard who had big dreams but comes to grips of it's impossibility in spite himself.

Cait Sith:A comic relief character but even within that he has depth. He is secretly one of the bad guys who uses this robot as a guise to help you because he no longer feels comfortable doing what he knows is wrong.

Kefka has no decisive reasoning to do what he does. Selfishness as a motivation would imply a "Mine!" personality but that is not him. He is simply put "I HATE! I HATE!" and it never goes any deeper. Sephiroth is not a complete departure from villainy norms but he still stands out a lot better than Kefka. Sephiroth had an almost religious like devotion to the alien parasite known as Jenova. With such a crazy level of adoration you have to give him props for being so devoted to the cause.

Once again, I know it is all opinion but I just can't shake that feeling VI is just cheap ammo against the armies of "FFVII fans". I mean really, FFVII defined a generation of gaming. VI never had any such impact on anything.

Greatness Awaits

How about we play the statistics game. I am definitely in the majority that see it for what it is if this poll is anything to go by...
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/278351/results

You guys should take it.

Greatness Awaits

Ogre Battle 64 should be high on that list
also for me the best FF is 7 hands down

DieAppleDie said:
Ogre Battle 64 should be high on that list
also for me the best FF is 7 hands dow

Ogrebattle 64 is my favorite RPG.  IT better make a top 50 spot.