By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oh boy , IGN is doing another TOP 100 list - TOP 100 RPGS ALL TIME

Tagged games:

do you like this top 100 bs?

no 74 53.24%

yes 46 33.09%

results 18 12.95%

Total:138
Crono141 said:
jamesmarkus87 said:

I'm going to be furious if:

- they snub Skies of Arcadia Legends, which is my favourite game of all time
- Mass Effect 3 ranks higher than either of its significantly better predecessors

Hang on now.  Mass Effect 3 probably contains the pinnacle of story telling in modern western RPGs.  There were moments where I felt real and powerful emotion in this game.  The entire campaign at Tuchunka was incredible, and probably the best story telling in a video game period.

Its a shame the game had to ruin all that in its last 15 minutes.  ME3 is a great game 99.5% of the time.  Its the last 0.5% that sucks.

You no nothing of the Mass Effect Series if you think 99.5% of it was great. The game was severely flawed and had massive plot holes and continuity errors not mention one hub world, auto dialogue, destruction of character arcs, the signal mini game, shelving most characters from Mass Effect 2, and that's all before you get to ending. I did like Tuchunka and Ranoch

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Crono141 said:
Why is FF6 better than 7?

Better Story, Better Characters, More expressive characters, more emotion, better art, better atmosphere, better music, better villain, better overworld, bigger overworld, more personality, better pacing, less linear. Also, its much more a traditional fantasy universe (with steampunk/magipunk elements), where FF7 is the first game to jump into a quasi modern "we have guns, but everybody still fights with swords anyway" universe.

FF7 had pretty FMVs, and it had great moments as well. I'm not knocking the masterpiece that is FF7. But FF6 is a better game all around.

Is it a question of taste? Of course. YMMV. I just think FF6 had a lot more going for it.

Better Characters? In what way? I can seriously only think of one character even worth talking about from VI and that was Terra....and as far as characters go she is probably the worst main protaganist in the entire series. She is weak willed, timid, self doubting and a total damsel in distress for more than half of the game. Almost every JRPG fan can name the entire cast from VII even without loving all of them.

FF6...  really doesn't have a single protaganist.  Though if you have to pinpoint one, really Celes or Locke fit better.

As for villian motivations.... what was Sephy's big motviation again that didn't make him a cookie cutter villian?  Kefka's motives are actually pretty great if you pay attention.   He's an extremely selfish nihilist.

I played FFVI, after VII, but I did indeed play it. I enjoyed what I did play but to me it pales pretty epically in comparison to what came in the PS1-2 days. I am a person who enjoys great graphics but my opinion has never been dependant on them. I LOVE Chrono Trigger and can stand beside it being one of the greatest games of all time. But VI? No...

The Characters of VI seemed to be thrown in a pot of whatever SE thought would be cool (See Vincent and Yuffie in VII). The whole lot of them were characatures of just that. Their plots never really touched me at all as the whole game felt pretty comical to me(In comparison to VII's ability to have comical moments but then turn serious). This could not be helped with the super goofy villain that is Kefka, the poor man's version of the Joker. 

On the other hand, each character in VII had distinctive personality flaws that are worked on and explored as the game goes on.

Cloud:A nobody with dreams of being great but comes to the rude realization that he is just average but hides behind a facade of narcisism to give the appearance he is as great as he wants everyone to think he is.

Kefka has no decisive reasoning to do what he does. Selfishness as a motivation would imply a "Mine!" personality but that is not him. He is simply put "I HATE! I HATE!" and it never goes any deeper. Sephiroth is not a complete departure from villainy norms but he still stands out a lot better than Kefka. Sephiroth had an almost religious like devotion to the alien parasite known as Jenova. With such a crazy level of adoration you have to give him props for being so devoted to the cause.

To the bold:

Cloud comes across as a moper to me and I just don't like it. I haven't played FFVII itself but I have played pretty much everything else he was in and I actually felt little character development happened with him. He kept getting these chances and then refusing to accept them because he was this supposedly great warrior or he felt he had failed in some way and wasn't worth. Just didn't like this at all in him.

As to Sephiroth's devotion, having played Crisis Core I must say his complete devotion has a rather weak background story. He finds out he is a Shinra Experiment for the perfect SOLDIER, finds his "mother" and then decides he is going to continue her original plan to destroy the world.... Wait? At what point did he become so attached to his "mother" that he had to destroy the whole world for her?

Besides ranking Final fantasy VIII and IX so low, the fact that Diablo 3 made the top 100 list at all invalidates it for me.
That game was a cheap cash in compared to its glorious predecessors.

forevercloud3000 said:
How about we play the statistics game. I am definitely in the majority that see it for what it is if this poll is anything to go by...
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/278351/results

You guys should take it.

Oh man, I totally can't see a whole bunch of VII fanboys going through and voting for everything VII "just because it was the first big JRPG that most North Americans of a certain age played."

Consider me an impartial observer, since I've played neither VI nor VII (and believe me, I mean to amend that), but I have had both my ears talked off about VII, and suffice to say I don't buy into the hype. Everything about it sounds horrendously clichéd -- and for those of you who will tell me "It invented those clichés," no, definitely not. It was just YOUR first experience with those clichés because you were "a certain age."

You know how I know I'm going to like VI more than VII when I finally get around to playing them? When people rave about VI, they talk first about the GAME. When people talk about VII, they start going on and on about all this JRPG story bull I don't care about. No one has EVER raved about the GAME to me, only the story. And I already know the whole story -- remember when I said both my ears had been talked off? Not an exaggeration.

On-topic, did I see TWEWY at #62 in there? Another I've yet to play, for the record. Still seems off to me.

Final Fantasy 9 only at #88. Ok now i've lost it.

Around the Network

Well, maybe the reason why people talk about the STORY of a JRPG is, because that IS the main point of a JRPG. You expect a game which tells a complex story and shows how the different characters react, feel and think.

If you extract the story from a game, you take away the depth of the game. Thats the main weakness of WRPGS for me. You might have the choice to make decisions and alter the game ending.... but you sacrifice the quality of storytelling.

WRPGs often feel like a sidequests-festival where you got lots of content but its always more of the same. Fetch this, kill that and return. Repeat this 500 times and you got 100 hours of timesink without depth.

Yoshiya said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Kasz216 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Crono141 said:
Why is FF6 better than 7?

Better Story, Better Characters, More expressive characters, more emotion, better art, better atmosphere, better music, better villain, better overworld, bigger overworld, more personality, better pacing, less linear. Also, its much more a traditional fantasy universe (with steampunk/magipunk elements), where FF7 is the first game to jump into a quasi modern "we have guns, but everybody still fights with swords anyway" universe.

FF7 had pretty FMVs, and it had great moments as well. I'm not knocking the masterpiece that is FF7. But FF6 is a better game all around.

Is it a question of taste? Of course. YMMV. I just think FF6 had a lot more going for it.

Better Characters? In what way? I can seriously only think of one character even worth talking about from VI and that was Terra....and as far as characters go she is probably the worst main protaganist in the entire series. She is weak willed, timid, self doubting and a total damsel in distress for more than half of the game. Almost every JRPG fan can name the entire cast from VII even without loving all of them.

FF6...  really doesn't have a single protaganist.  Though if you have to pinpoint one, really Celes or Locke fit better.

As for villian motivations.... what was Sephy's big motviation again that didn't make him a cookie cutter villian?  Kefka's motives are actually pretty great if you pay attention.   He's an extremely selfish nihilist.

I played FFVI, after VII, but I did indeed play it. I enjoyed what I did play but to me it pales pretty epically in comparison to what came in the PS1-2 days. I am a person who enjoys great graphics but my opinion has never been dependant on them. I LOVE Chrono Trigger and can stand beside it being one of the greatest games of all time. But VI? No...

The Characters of VI seemed to be thrown in a pot of whatever SE thought would be cool (See Vincent and Yuffie in VII). The whole lot of them were characatures of just that. Their plots never really touched me at all as the whole game felt pretty comical to me(In comparison to VII's ability to have comical moments but then turn serious). This could not be helped with the super goofy villain that is Kefka, the poor man's version of the Joker. 

On the other hand, each character in VII had distinctive personality flaws that are worked on and explored as the game goes on.

Cloud:A nobody with dreams of being great but comes to the rude realization that he is just average but hides behind a facade of narcisism to give the appearance he is as great as he wants everyone to think he is.

Kefka has no decisive reasoning to do what he does. Selfishness as a motivation would imply a "Mine!" personality but that is not him. He is simply put "I HATE! I HATE!" and it never goes any deeper. Sephiroth is not a complete departure from villainy norms but he still stands out a lot better than Kefka. Sephiroth had an almost religious like devotion to the alien parasite known as Jenova. With such a crazy level of adoration you have to give him props for being so devoted to the cause.

To the bold:

Cloud comes across as a moper to me and I just don't like it. I haven't played FFVII itself but I have played pretty much everything else he was in and I actually felt little character development happened with him. He kept getting these chances and then refusing to accept them because he was this supposedly great warrior or he felt he had failed in some way and wasn't worth. Just didn't like this at all in him.

As to Sephiroth's devotion, having played Crisis Core I must say his complete devotion has a rather weak background story. He finds out he is a Shinra Experiment for the perfect SOLDIER, finds his "mother" and then decides he is going to continue her original plan to destroy the world.... Wait? At what point did he become so attached to his "mother" that he had to destroy the whole world for her?

You should actually play VII. Very little justice done otherwise in anything outside the main title.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Alphachris said:
Well, maybe the reason why people talk about the STORY of a JRPG is, because that IS the main point of a JRPG. You expect a game which tells a complex story and shows how the different characters react, feel and think.

If you extract the story from a game, you take away the depth of the game. Thats the main weakness of WRPGS for me. You might have the choice to make decisions and alter the game ending.... but you sacrifice the quality of storytelling.

WRPGs often feel like a sidequests-festival where you got lots of content but its always more of the same. Fetch this, kill that and return. Repeat this 500 times and you got 100 hours of timesink without depth.

I was under the impression that Chrono Trigger, widely considered one of the greatest JRPGs of all time and one of the most critically acclaimed video games of all time regardless of genre, has multiple endings depending on how you play the game. Surely you're not suggesting that the quality of the storytelling in Chrono Trigger was sacrificed in this way.

Don't make this about WRPGs. I'm comparing two games in the same series. FFVI has a great story, too, from what I've heard -- but everything I've heard about the game isn't how great its story is. All anyone talks about with FFVII is the story, and what I've heard of the story (which is a lot) doesn't sound that amazing.

And no, story is NOT "the main point" of JRPGs. If it was, I wouldn't be playing any. I'd just be watching playthroughs on youtube.

Sure, a JRPG can put more emphasis on story, but if it doesn't have strong gameplay mechanics, it's a lackluster game no matter HOW good its story is. If the game focuses a LOT on story to the point of making gameplay scarce, it's a visual novel, not a JRPG (and that's fine too, for what it's worth).

But it's a moot point, because as I've mentioned, nothing about the story in FFVII makes me think it would be worth playing for 40 hours just to experience something I could read on wikipedia in 10 minutes. Hell, I've aleady spent multiple hours listening to all the ins and outs of FFVII's story explained to me. When I finally play it, that game had better have some damn good mechanics or I'm going to get bored with it before Aerith even dies.

I really hope skyrim isn't anywhere near the top, boring setting and characters, weak story and repetitive gameplay should not make it one of the best rpgs of all time.

Well, i must admit that Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger were initially not released for the SNES in Europe. I have played both games only after they were re-released on the handhelds.

Chrono Trigger had only 1 ending for the first playhtrough. You could only see the other endings on New game +... so the whole story was created as a linear story for the first playthrough.

I don't think that reading a summary of a story is comparable to playing the game. The summary only gives you a brief idea of what is going on, but you miss many things not covered in the summary.

For me, the great JRPGs make you think about a moral dilemma and the characters are there for oyu to see different points of view. Western stories often have a black and white scheme and do not want to make you think about what is going on. They are just more than simple entertainment. Like a theater play they want to change the way you think about moral dilemmas.

Final Fantasy VII For example made you think about environmental problems. Final Fantasy X made you think about the consequences of blind belief. Final Fantasy XII made you think about the impact of powerful weapons like the use of atomic bombs. Final Fantasy XIII made you think about the effects of Propanda...

They all share deep and complex moral dilemmas that you are not confronted with in "normal games". Sophistiacted JRPGs even left the hero vs. villain scheme and tried to deliver characters of equal importance. And the villains are not just pure evil, they all have their own motivations. Also games like Grandia or Suikoden have their own focuses on moral topics.

If you reduce these games to the simple gameplay mechanics, you lose a lot of what they are meant to be. Sure, if the gameplay is atrocious, you would probably stop playing. Thinking about what is going on or why certain characters are acting like they do is just part of the fun. Maybe that is why modern JRPGs like Final Fantasy XII or Final Fantasy XIII are often criticised for their stories... because you can't just passively watch them. You have to put in some thinking and memorizing.

It is just a matter of preference. For me Oblivion was the most boring RPG that I have ever played. You have the gameplay and you have the content, but without a good main story the whole game felt like a waste of time. I was missing something that wanted me to keep playing. I want to see what will happen next... In Oblivion the "next" thing is just a stupid sidequest or a randomly generated dungeon because the main story was just uninspired and boring.

Well, perhaps you should just avoid FF7. You already made your mind about the game and I don't think that you will enjoy it properly. The Materia system was interesting, but Final Fantasy games are seldom a real challenge. Most FFs have a good combo that makes the whole game all too easy... but as I said the story is the real focus of a good JRPG.