By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The original Crysis: still the best looking game ever?

Killy_Vorkosigan said:
Sbdy as a link to these mods ?

Oh btw, has anybody seen Hard Reset (now in extended edition) in motion ?

Hard Reset looks gourgous, the lighting and animation work is really great. And things blow up real nice lol.

A great effort for an indie game from a small team. Can't wait to see what they do next with DX11, the DLC already looks better than the OG game.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Snesboy said:
I like this thread. Please. Entertain me with more.

Video in OP looks awesome. Reminds me of when I first played Half-Life 2: Episode 2 on max settings at 900p. Just stunning. Of course that was 4 years ago. But damn, Crysis is a beautiful game and an even better benchmark ;)

Which game are you talking about? Because Crysis came out 5 years ago.

HL2:EP2 also came out in 2007. But I never played it until like a year or so later.

pezus said:
CGI-Quality said:
pezus said:
Killy_Vorkosigan said:
Sbdy as a link to these mods ?

Oh btw, has anybody seen Hard Reset (now in extended edition) in motion ?

I know Zarx has it.

I have Hard Reset (can't play till later this month, as you know). Is the Extended Edition a mod or expansion pack?

It's the game + 1 DLC

Hard Reset EE adds a few levels and bosses. Quite good, and it has more open spaces. Boss fights are great. It hads also survival modes, heroic mode... and a small rehaul of the graphic engine, which I find awesome.

If like me you grew on Doom and Duke Nukem, you'll feel the oldskul vibe in Hard reset. No life regen, just run and gun, blast your way in the level. And it indeed blasts all over the place.

crisis is a beautiful game.

Unfortunately my PC is not an uber game PC.

So because of this thread I bought Crysis today on Xbox Live with Cryengine 3.

I have to say, of every single console game Ive played, Crysis at times is the closest any console game this gen has gotten to looking real.

Seriously, the Crysis port on 360 is unbelievable and looks definitely better than crysis 2 thanks to the location.

Wow at my console producing vistas and explosions like this. The lighting to. I wasn't expecting a game to knock me back this late to the gen. But at times Crysis with CE3 pushes the 360 to do scenes that look really close to photographic scenery.

Thanks CGI.
Don't know bout PC, but Crysis 1 I definitely best graphics on console for me.

Around the Network

For those wondering what Hard Reset looks like

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

the console version looks like an atari game compare to the video you posted. Amazing!!!

If by best looking you mean "closest to reality." Which you seem to.

If you mean... best looking as in.... looks the best. Not even close.

Aesthetics wise it's not great... in general as games move towards reality they seem to be moving away aesthetics and design... seeing them as largely uneeded or unrealistic.  I'd take a less impressive stylized game any day of the week.

CGI-Quality said:
Kasz216 said:

If by best looking you mean "closest to reality." Which you seem to.

If you mean... best looking as in.... looks the best. Not even close.

Aesthetics wise it's not great... in general as games move towards reality they seem to be moving away aesthetics and design... seeing them as largely uneeded or unrealistic.  I'd take a less impressive stylized game any day of the week.

As you see, perception and definition are key.

Best example: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs Killzone 2. In 2009, I thought the latter ate the former for breakfast, but what everyone else saw was a beautiful, realized, stylized appeal in Uncharted 2 and rated accordingly. 

I was one of those UC2 junkies, haha. XD

For me, KZ2 fell into the same trap as The Conduit; strong tech let down by boring grey/brown environments. Killzone 3, however, is another matter entirely...

CGI-Quality said:

Though on the flip-side, you console-only folks are missing out on the true nature of what Crysis looks like. Between the PC versions and console versions, it's not even night-and-day, it's 1990-and-2000. Even Vanilla runs laps around it.

I personally think it's a VERY minor difference, more like Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3.