By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: The Next Gen Doesn't Start With Wii U

The controversy continues. Developers currently seem to be in a love-hate relationship with the Wii U. Some say next-gen, others say current-gen.

Either way, Nintendo seems to have managed to get by well enough with mainly first party games with the Wii, so maybe they can pull it off with the Wii U as well. Fanboys will buy in either way. As for 3rd party support once the 720/PS4 come in, I'm skeptical but we'll have to wait and see.

Around the Network

The word earnest changes the meaning entirely.
It does not necessarily mean that the WiiU is not seen as a "Next Gen" machine -- though it does not preclude that.
Rather, it means that the full next generation is being delayed because DLC is keeping the current one going.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Of course it is next gen. It's not this gen, but the following. Technical power does not dictate the gen (and I'm sure the WiiU has got much more to give), but the actual release of the system.

And this OP is on the shortlist for OP of the year, crazy skills from the poster.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Next gen to me is something that brings never done before gaming experience to the table.

In that regard Wii U will be the only next gen console with PS4 and X720 being mere and boring graphical updates, that alone is not enough if I'm still playing with a controller that is the same as a PS1 controller.

AH!

x)

FrancisNobleman said:
Next gen to me is something that brings never done before gaming experience to the table.

In that regard Wii U will be the only next gen console with PS4 and X720 being mere and boring graphical updates, that alone is not enough if I'm still playing with a controller that is the same as a PS1 controller.

AH!

x)

Better hardware does not just mean better visuals, it enables games to be more in depth, to be longer, better physics and have huge enviroments to explore.

Around the Network

Everybody needs to understand that Capcom didn't say this at all but rather the journalist is implying that is what they mean. And he's wrong.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I agree... now can please MS/Sony give us the next gen just in 2015???

Corey said:
FrancisNobleman said:

AH!

x)

Better hardware does not just mean better visuals, it enables games to be more in depth, to be longer, better physics and have huge enviroments to explore.

Yeah, like mario nes to mario snes.

Mario 64 marked a difference because it wasn't possible in any way with the SNES pad. NEW Interface, that's where a new gen is born. NEW, gen.

PS1, PS2 and PS3 are the same, with the obviously improved visuals and scope.

This is strictly my own opinion, that's why I'm so picky with games.

Tell me one game that is on the PS3 and wasn't possible on PS2 with reduced scope and visuals. Maybe you can name like,2 or 3.

I guess Nintendo has its own generation...

Wii U Demos in *FPS* View  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/PxDxI

Viper1 said:
happydolphin said:
I've posted this before and got shat on all over by Rol and Viper. The Wii was not even considered next gen by its own leader (Hiroshi Yamauchi), so this is no surprise to me.

Gens are rooted in the concept of technical advancements requiring changes to a console, things that could not be done before. That isn't the case for the WiiU, wasn't the case for the Wii.

Console generations are not defined, nor have they ever been, by the changes in spec increases but by the chronological relationship between successor and predecessor flagship consoles.  Increases in tech specs have only historically coincided with new generations but were never a requirement not a means to categorize as which generation a console belonged to.

Look at the first jump in gens, it was due to the need to upgrade the previous entries due to memory limitations. Look it up, it's in the history of videogames on wikipedia.

@In earnest. I don't think we can be sure that's what he meant then, and neither can we be sure the understanding of OP is what he meant. So either way we're at a loss.