By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Ranking Game - Final Fantasy XIII - We're back!

Tagged games:

What did you think when reading the OP?

This guy sure knows how t... 13 27.66%

360 version has longer legs 3 6.38%

I wonder if Runa has posted yet? 9 19.15%

Oh.. this won't end well 4 8.51%

Yay! It's back! 2 4.26%

Couldn't pick a better game for the revival? 7 14.89%

This game has the best Lightning in gaming 6 12.77%

Total:44

7.5 out of 10
All in all it's probably near the bottom of the list in the FF Franchise due to it's extremely linear nature paired with the convoluted narrative. (Clearly I'm aware that most all the FF games are linear, but they don't feel this linear and having a plot where you don't need to read a bunch of articles from the menu to understand helps). However that being said it has it's moments, it's beautiful, and the combat system is really fun.

Around the Network
dystopia said:
7.5 out of 10
All in all it's probably near the bottom of the list in the FF Franchise due to it's extremely linear nature paired with the convoluted narrative. (Clearly I'm aware that most all the FF games are linear, but they don't feel this linear and having a plot where you don't need to read a bunch of articles from the menu to understand helps). However that being said it has it's moments, it's beautiful, and the combat system is really fun.

There's a difference between "linear" and "Strict adherence to linearity."  In Final Fantasy X, there was a pretty clear line where to go, not a lot of divergent paths, and no overworld map to explore, but you could still explore caves, go off the track to find hidden stuff, and scan the map for new locations.  It was linear, but it didn't hold you on rails.  Final Fantasy XIII was so linear you could hardly ever turn around and go back if you missed something.  It was "okay, here's this battle, now go down this corridor, cutscene, battle, battle, boss battle, cutscene", and there was no deviation from that.  

I don't have a problem with linearity, in fact I prefer it to open-ended narratives, but when you are basically on a track the entire game, that's a problem.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Wouldn't be a Final Fantasy XIII thread without Runa and Hotmoza.

Runa216 said:
dystopia said:
7.5 out of 10

There's a difference between "linear" and "Strict adherence to linearity."  In Final Fantasy X, there was a pretty clear line where to go, not a lot of divergent paths, and no overworld map to explore, but you could still explore caves, go off the track to find hidden stuff, and scan the map for new locations.  It was linear, but it didn't hold you on rails.  Final Fantasy XIII was so linear you could hardly ever turn around and go back if you missed something.  It was "okay, here's this battle, now go down this corridor, cutscene, battle, battle, boss battle, cutscene", and there was no deviation from that.  

I don't have a problem with linearity, in fact I prefer it to open-ended narratives, but when you are basically on a track the entire game, that's a problem.  

I found FFX to feel a bit too linear as well. I'm not a huge fan of FFX and I think there are a lot of similarities between it and FFXIII. They both kinda open up from that linear path two thirds of the way through, FFX much moreso than FFXIII. In it's defense FFX was better paced, more well written (at least the overall flow of the story and events, I think the dialog is pretty awful.), and overall just a more enjoyable adventure. You're definetly right though that games can and should be linear, they just need to have the atmosphere that makes it feel otherwise. That comes from better writing, better dialog, and better gameplay.

8/10
Great game, great story and characters. The graphics are amazing and the world is interesting.
The battle tends to drag longer than expected and becomes a little boring. I don't mind the linear gameplay but a little of freedom would have been appreciated.

Overall is a great game, too much un-needed hate for this game

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Around the Network

Final Fantasy XIII

Story: 7/10

The story is a bit of a mixed bag. It is not the worst in the series by far but somehow falls far short of what one would expect from the JRPG masters. The Characters have no real motivation for a large part of the game, and seemingly flip a coin when deciding on what their next move will be. It isn't until the half way point where the story gets any kind of momentum. The Story saves some reveals in the final hour but none of them as shocking as they expected them to. It just is completely baffling how a JRPG which took 5 years to make can have a story that felt so rushed. Even more irritating is how the game actually sports a pretty interesting philosophy and mythos yet most gamers would never even know that as majority of it is hidden in the encyclopedia in the menu.

Gameplay: 8/10

Game mechanics also feel a bit confused in actual direction. They sport a much faster paced set-up yet feel more restricted than earlier entries. This is not to say the combat isn't functional and above all else fun. It simply lacks key things that could have made it amazing. The system saves the player time, by automatically choosing the best line of actions for a particular job class. This does work more often than not, yet it relinquishes the player many chances to think for themselves. One could always choose the actions manually but with the hyper fast pace of combat it is probably best to let the game do the work. Most of the player interaction comes in Paradigm shifting. This is how you switch between job classes on the fly in combat. It is a pretty nifty ability but it only adds to the feeling you are just manipulating outcome rather than controlling it.

Graphics: 9/10

This game's beauty is undisputable. It looks amazing for its time, and stands up fine even a few years later.

Sound: 8/10

There are some really good tunes in this game, namely the battle theme. I could listen to that song over and over. Yet some of the more orchastrated themes feel out of place and do not mesh well with the mechanized utopian world they are actually in.

Replay Value: 7/10

The game boasts plenty of gaming hours. Estimated about 50hrs to complete the game. The game does force you to wait till the endgame in order to do a lot of the side missions which comes off really tedious. Not to mention the side missions are pretty weak in execution. Even though all the extra stuff can sqeeze another 100hrs out of this game easily, one might find it hard to do as the battle system is not the greatest and the story leaves much to be desired even after the climax.

Overall: 8/10

The game is not god awful by any definition, it simply lacks a lot of what we have grown to love in FF. There is still some fun to be had with this titles and has some interesting and intense moments.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Runa216 said:
dystopia said:
7.5 out of 10

The truest thing ever^^^^^^

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Is it too late to vote? I vote 10/10!

thought #1

jezus enough with FF XIII, noone cares anymore and nothing will change, get on with your lives !

thought #2

let's post my metacritic review:

GaaraDDragon said:

Aug 15, 2012
I give FF XIII a solid ten because it is the most bold game to come out of Japan in years. People go on about how bad of an rpg it is, when this game is not really an rpg, neither was it designed as one. It's a brilliant combination of action, rpg and strategy. It's a bold game because it completely ignored gaming trends and presented something unique. In terms of battle it was not about simple grinding and leveling but about thinking, planing ahead and acting fast. But at the same time it was an evolution of previous battle systems as well. In terms of story it broke from the classic protagonist versus antagonist duel theme into a drama that was centered around the team itself and the in-between the members friction. It is a pretty linear game since for one it is heavily action influenced but mainly because it was designed as a huge story driven ride, more than any FF before. While controversial, it played the factor of story delivery to the best possible degree. FF XIII is a game that has been heavily criticized for all the things it was not. I rather focused on all the things it was. It features one of the greatest protagonists in any FF game. An environment that is not only based on graphics but unmatched aesthetics as well. The scenario is probably the most complicated and hard to follow, compared to any other FF game to date. Holding its own rather well into 2012. Majestic sites, some very hard and rewarding battles, fast paced action, dazzling pre-rendered CGI movie in blu ray quality and an epic story to unveil

4/10

I LOVE ICELAND!