By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Ranking Game - Final Fantasy XIII - We're back!

Tagged games:

What did you think when reading the OP?

This guy sure knows how t... 13 27.66%

360 version has longer legs 3 6.38%

I wonder if Runa has posted yet? 9 19.15%

Oh.. this won't end well 4 8.51%

Yay! It's back! 2 4.26%

Couldn't pick a better game for the revival? 7 14.89%

This game has the best Lightning in gaming 6 12.77%

Total:44
AndrewWK said:
hatmoza said:

The only time I've ever fallen asleep during a video game was during MGS2 Tanker scene and while repeatedly tapping the action button in the  'heat' of a boss battle in FF XIII.

The game bored me to tears. I put a good 30-40 hours into the game, got to Grand Pulse with the promises that the game would open up... but I was let down by both the game and the gaming community.

The game felt empty due to the lack of exploration. If I wanted to play a corridor game with a linear path to victory I would of bought  a game that fit that requirement. I purchased FF XIII thinking it would be... well an RPG. A lot of elements that make a good role playing game were not present. And even though I tried my hardest to like this game, I just couldn't do with the poor battle system that limited my control over the party. What was it? The pedigree shift? Whatever it was called... really insulted me as a gamer. It took complete control away from me. Semi controlling one character while having every other party member do their own thing really didn't cut it for me.

The characters were forgettable and the story was deliberately withheld from the player creating the illusion that the plot was complicated and full of twists. By the time you finally get most of the story you start asking yourself why am I learning this now and why should I care?

The soundtrack was ok.

3/10

So the game bored you so much and you still played it for almost 40 hours? Seriously?

... I explained why shortly after that statement. Don't fault me for you readingcomprehensive skills. Nevertheless I will bold that part for you.

Next time, try to read the whole post before criticizing someone. It's not the end of the world just because I didn't like a game you liked.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
hatmoza said:
AndrewWK said:
hatmoza said:

The only time I've ever fallen asleep during a video game was during MGS2 Tanker scene and while repeatedly tapping the action button in the  'heat' of a boss battle in FF XIII.

The game bored me to tears. I put a good 30-40 hours into the game, got to Grand Pulse with the promises that the game would open up... but I was let down by both the game and the gaming community.

The game felt empty due to the lack of exploration. If I wanted to play a corridor game with a linear path to victory I would of bought  a game that fit that requirement. I purchased FF XIII thinking it would be... well an RPG. A lot of elements that make a good role playing game were not present. And even though I tried my hardest to like this game, I just couldn't do with the poor battle system that limited my control over the party. What was it? The pedigree shift? Whatever it was called... really insulted me as a gamer. It took complete control away from me. Semi controlling one character while having every other party member do their own thing really didn't cut it for me.

The characters were forgettable and the story was deliberately withheld from the player creating the illusion that the plot was complicated and full of twists. By the time you finally get most of the story you start asking yourself why am I learning this now and why should I care?

The soundtrack was ok.

3/10

So the game bored you so much and you still played it for almost 40 hours? Seriously?

... I explained why shortly after that statement. Don't fault me for you readingcomprehensive skills. Nevertheless I will bold that part for you.

Next time, try to read the whole post before criticizing someone. It's not the end of the world just because I didn't like a game you liked.

And you just invested 40 hours into a game you thought is terrible. Why did you not just put it away after 10 hours. Don´t you have better things to do?

FF13 7/10

Simply because it lacked so much of the gubbins I'm used to in my RPGs. Great visuals, great battle system but sadly that's all the game has to offer. Nothing else what so ever.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I will only say this game was fun and it deserves a 8.2, which is a great score btw.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

AndrewWK said:
hatmoza said:
AndrewWK said:
hatmoza said:

The soundtrack was ok.

3/10

And you just invested 40 hours into a game you thought is terrible. Why did you not just put it away after 10 hours. Don´t you have better things to do?

Exactly. I can only laugh to those "I played for 40 hours and it was a total bullshit" statements. Seriously dude, either it wasn't that terrible or you have a serious problem with your life.

PS: Don't worry, 9 out of 10 cases it's the first option, which is also the result of some issues, but minors ones compared to the second one.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network

I gave it an 8 after I completed it.

It was gorgeous to look at. The 1080p video segments were stunning and the levels themselves looked awesome too. The story was ok, could have been better. Gameplay didn't really start until several chapters in and only became interesting from the open world section. It was addictive enough to complete all the missions but beyond that had no incentive to keep going for extra trophies.
Good game, although short of expectations. I spend about 40 hours on it (compared to over a 100 on ff12)

Ooh fun!

2.1/10

Why? Broken gameplay (little control of your characters, instant game overs, no character differences), Linear to a fault, absolutely no room for deviation, no sidequests, no minigames, poorly developed characters, poorly told story, lacking in Final Fantasy Staples. Lame, forgettable villain. Basically, it does everything wrong that it needs to do right. It does look pretty, though. yes, I'm aware two of my complaints (no sidequests, linear) are temporarily corrected in chapter 11, but it's too little too late.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

7/10.

I have played ~ 30 hours so far.

Positives:

+ Music is great.
+ Battles are kept interesting, and I enjoy how the system keeps evolving.
+ Lightning and Sazh are good characters, Fang is alright.
+ Graphics are amazing.

Negatives:
- The story just isn't up to much. It feels small in scale and quite boring, especially compared to early FF games.
- I am 30 hours in and the game is still linear as hell. I hated linearity in FF X, I hate it even more here.
- The game is gorgeous, but I rarely - if ever - see it. I spend more time looking at the mini-map trying to spot a side-path which might have a treasure in than I do looking at the scenery.
- Snow, Vanille & Hope are awful characters. Hope especially is completely two-dimensional, even after his confrontation with Snow. They're not what I expect or hope for from Final Fantasy.
- Crystarium system is a poor-man's sphere grid, which in itself was a pretty poor idea for character growth.

It's better than FF X, which is something, but it's still nowhere near the Final Fantasy game I was looking for.

trasharmdsister12 said:
Runa216 said:
Ooh fun!

2.1/10

Why? Broken gameplay (little control of your characters, instant game overs, no character differences), Linear to a fault, absolutely no room for deviation, no sidequests, no minigames, poorly developed characters, poorly told story, lacking in Final Fantasy Staples. Lame, forgettable villain. Basically, it does everything wrong that it needs to do right. It does look pretty, though. yes, I'm aware two of my complaints (no sidequests, linear) are temporarily corrected in chapter 11, but it's too little too late.

According to the poll results more than a few were surprised that you hadn't posted yet . Anyways, thanks for the input.  Just one thing; I'm not very familiar with the franchise (as I mentioned in the OP). Could you provide more info on what you mean by Final Fantasy Staples? Thanks!

Well Final Fantasy has a lot of things that have stayed constant throughout the ages, such as chocobos, Cid, Airships, magic, etc.  Each game is slightly different, but they always have similar themes and characters.  In Final Fantasy XIII, there is a character named Cid, but he doesn't resemble the cid's of past at all.  there are chocobos, but aside from the one in Saz's hair they might as well not be in it since they play NO role.  There are airships, but they're not a part of the story, they're just the scene for one event in the game.  It HAD them, but they all seemed to be shoehorned in, like they were making a different game then were like "Shit, this game sucks, better shift a few thigns around, name a random character Cid, and put the Final Fantasy name on it so it'll sell regardless."  

I suppose if you're used to the more linear JRPG style you might like this, but as a fan of Final Fantasy, it's a slap in the face. Basically, they took everything good about Final Fantasy and threw it out the window.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

also HAH! Just noticed the poll. Man, my hatred for this game is LEGENDARY.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX