By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Who's the most original band/singer today?

I hadn't heard anything like Two Door Cinema Club until I heard them.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

Justin Bieber is the first that comes to mind. Believe showed how much he has grown, and that he is able to break away from the mold. A unique sound and a beautiful message.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

d21lewis said:
I'm going to have to go with Katy Perry, also. She's the voice of a generation.

This.

Muse are the ones that came to mind as they do like to experiment a lot. Not a big fan of there last album (still had some fantastic songs though) and I'm undecided on this new one, but I never get bored of listening to Origin of Symmetry. They really do try to mix a range of styles in their music though.

Otherwise, maybe Enter Shikari? They also mix multiple styles to come up with their own sound.

Linkin Park have always been pioneers and their new stuff is always changing. But I like your pick with Mumford and Sons too. Also Dropkick Murphys.

Around the Network

Muse was the first to come to mind. I remember reading that they were all open-minded on the music which is why they like to experiment. They created some cool &somewhat unique stuff like Exogenesis, Knights of Cydonia and many of the songs from Origin of Symmetry.

Tom Waits.

Imagine Dragons, my current "band of the moment".

They're not all that original when it comes to lyrics, but their sound is quite diversified and pleasant.

Sure, they do alternative indie rock, yet I feel they manage to go above the standard fare.

M.I.A. - original and has an impact on directions taken in the mainstream. I don't know if any other act has quite that impact.

Lady Gaga has most easily had the biggest impact on the direction of mainstream music in recent years.

Katy Perry is not actually a song writer; other people do her music for her (and are copying existing pop styles that are big at the moment), she just performs.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Regina Spektor.  She does things her way, not following the typical "rules" and her sound is quite awesome!