By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
leo-j said:
Why would they make a ps4?

The ps3 can handle anything on the market, and there is something called firmware upgrade, that can add featues for free.

The PS3 cannot handle anything on the console market today. Wiisports simply would not work on a sixaxis contoller. There is also a limit to the machines graphical prowess, and how advanced an AI it can handle. Plus Sony has already said that the PS4 will be made. I believe they claimed it is where the real innovation will start.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

Of course they are already thinking about the PS4. Every company starts developing their next console once the previous one was released.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

well atleast let them put all BC in PS4

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

thats the new psp!

superchunk said:
At least they are going to put more into the BC this time. Hopefully a fully software emulation as to decrease hardware costs.

They definitely won't be putting out a >$400 machine this time.

400-450 is my guess. Anything less would yield poor results hardware-wise imo. It's better to pay 450 for a longlived machine than 350 for one that's implicitly outdated upon purchase...

Around the Network

There's an update on Kotaku.

Seems as if this might be an old job listing (from last May).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mr-money said:

ps4 will not happen. Sony got into gaming to invade your living room with their movie format. Now, it's becoming very clear that digital downloads are the future. I can't see either Blu Ray or HD-DVD lasting. What's the point??

I mean, right now in Japan, they're considering 30+ megapixel TVs, which far superseeds the current 1080p HD. Once download speeds go up, disks become inefficient.

And when exactly will anyone in the world have the bandwidth (or alternately the patience) to download such content that will certainly be a lot more spacious than HD?

And wtf? Got into gaming because of movie formats? You do know they had two (2) Playstations before as well? What did they want in '95, rekindle Betamax by integrating CD-ROM? Strange, strange post indeed...

People on Vgchartz claim (quite truly) that the HD era isn't even over us yet, and yet you talk of the next era after that again as a reason there'll be no PS4. I think it's reasonable to assume that the PS4 will premiere before 2020. There are still tens of million who use dial-up (28-56kbit) connections, and boradband usage is limited to 1/15 of the world's population yet. 

Why is using a disc dumber (for now) than having 2 160Gb movies on your 320 Gb harddisk? We're not that good at comprimation yet, HD movies unzipped still take 10-12 GB's and upwards (a lot upwards in fact). No, the optical formats are staying for 10-15 years at the least the way things are looking now, and the PS4 will probably be showcased for the first time in 2011 or 2012 going by the other unveilings. 

Mummelmann said:
mr-money said:

ps4 will not happen. Sony got into gaming to invade your living room with their movie format. Now, it's becoming very clear that digital downloads are the future. I can't see either Blu Ray or HD-DVD lasting. What's the point??

I mean, right now in Japan, they're considering 30+ megapixel TVs, which far superseeds the current 1080p HD. Once download speeds go up, disks become inefficient.

And when exactly will anyone in the world have the bandwidth (or alternately the patience) to download such content that will certainly be a lot more spacious than HD?

And wtf? Got into gaming because of movie formats? You do know they had two (2) Playstations before as well? What did they want in '95, rekindle Betamax by integrating CD-ROM? Strange, strange post indeed...

People on Vgchartz claim (quite truly) that the HD era isn't even over us yet, and yet you talk of the next era after that again as a reason there'll be no PS4. I think it's reasonable to assume that the PS4 will premiere before 2020. There are still tens of million who use dial-up (28-56kbit) connections, and boradband usage is limited to 1/15 of the world's population yet. 

Why is using a disc dumber (for now) than having 2 160Gb movies on your 320 Gb harddisk? We're not that good at comprimation yet, HD movies unzipped still take 10-12 GB's and upwards (a lot upwards in fact). No, the optical formats are staying for 10-15 years at the least the way things are looking now, and the PS4 will probably be showcased for the first time in 2011 or 2012 going by the other unveilings. 

Technicaly speaking, the technology exists today that would enable the average consumer to have 100Mb/s (or potentially far greater) download speeds but the infastructure doesn't exist ... Back in 1998 I was on a fiber optic trial which offered 7.5 Mb/s or 15 Mb/s bi-directional, and I have been told that the infastructure that was built could support 100 Mb/s if the switches were updated.

In the near futurre, wireless technology will/may be able to support similar speeds with far less expensive infastructure to build ...

PS4 better be cheaper. I had no problem spending the money, but $650 is a lot (For my PS3). I would like to see the PS4 be equal to or less than $400.

HappySqurriel said:
Mummelmann said:
mr-money said:

Technicaly speaking, the technology exists today that would enable the average consumer to have 100Mb/s (or potentially far greater) download speeds but the infastructure doesn't exist ... Back in 1998 I was on a fiber optic trial which offered 7.5 Mb/s or 15 Mb/s bi-directional, and I have been told that the infastructure that was built could support 100 Mb/s if the switches were updated.

In the near futurre, wireless technology will/may be able to support similar speeds with far less expensive infastructure to build ...

Interesting poin with the wireless, as it would deal with the biggest cost issue (last mile.) However, lets just put something into perspective. The 30 megapixel technology is atleast 2 decades from even beginning adoption. Further, the technology was shown off about a year ago with several projectors sinking together to make a 50' screen image. The projectors could only run for 10 minutes any given hour before they had to turn off to prevent overheating. When you consider the fact that streaming hdtv isn't anywhere near to being market ready, claiming the technology exists is an exaggeration. It exists, however the costs of doing so (at least in the US) are not to where the market will sustain them, unless forced to do so by dragging them kicking and screaming. 

As for superseeding disc speeds, Technically a 1x Blu-Ray drive is 36mbps, with 4x drives already appearing. I'm going to go ahead and doubt that except in a few markets, we will not see bandwidth capable of beating the average local drive, and further doubt that a local storage mechanism would be capable of storing more than a few games at an output of that hight. Lets not even get into development costs for a game of that specification.