By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
mr-money said:

ps4 will not happen. Sony got into gaming to invade your living room with their movie format. Now, it's becoming very clear that digital downloads are the future. I can't see either Blu Ray or HD-DVD lasting. What's the point??

I mean, right now in Japan, they're considering 30+ megapixel TVs, which far superseeds the current 1080p HD. Once download speeds go up, disks become inefficient.

QFBS

Around the Network

Hm so it could be:

-a new PS3
-PS4
-PSP2

So we really have no clue what it is.

A PSP2 that can play PS3 games?
Naah, it would have to hold a bluray disc, and look slick.

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

leo-j said:
I dont think there will be a ps4, ps3 may be there last console. I say this because ps3 is very high tech, people dont want to play something that looks better than crysis, for that they can just play outside.

Look at the astonishing successof the Wii and you will see why there is going to be a PS4. Better graphics are not the only way to improve a console, and not the most profitablle way to do it either at this point.

I highly doubt it will be the next psp. The pricetag on a handheld that could play PS3 games independantly would be astronomical. This is the normal point in a console lifespan where you start looking at the next in line. It takes a long time to perfect a machine that is supposed to last 6 or more years.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Why would they make a ps4?

The ps3 can handle anything on the market, and there is something called firmware upgrade, that can add featues for free.

mM
Around the Network

well at least they are looking for more programmers to try to get BC for the 40GB PS3.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I understand why Sony removed backwards compatability now. It would just be a complete waste of money to add the hardware and then add software emulation later.

My guess is about the next gen system emulation is either the PSP2 or Sony are just covering their backs, so they are not in this mess next gen. Anyway, the PS4 is a long way away.

Famine said:
Soriku said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229032

"Gamefront.de is reporting, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan is currently advertising for a software engineer to deal with backward compatability for both the PS3 and an unspecified next-gen console"

Lol.

What's so funny?

I remember the day before the PS2 launched here in the U.S., I got my issue of Gamepro that stated that Sony was already working on the PS3. I forgot if it was 8 or 10 PS2s working together.

Even from Microsoft, not too long ago, someone said that they were already working on the next Xbox.

Also, before Wii came out, a press member asked why it wasn't HD, and Iwata said something like "Not many people have HDTVs right now.  The successor to Wii will be in HD."

That would seem to me like they have some idea of what it would be like, right?

Off-topic: For some reason, I feel like Nintendo will have the second-most powerful console in the next generation--not a huge stretch, considering that, to keep costs down, the leap between this-gen and next-gen won't be as great as the last one.  I also think all will start out sub-$400, with Nintendo's being $300.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

There's an article up on Kotaku about this job.  It sounds like it's about PS3 BC for the 40gb version.

Kotaku Article

leo-j said:
Why would they make a ps4?

The ps3 can handle anything on the market, and there is something called firmware upgrade, that can add featues for free.

I'd like a PS3 with a firmware upgrade to Peryn server to go, please.