By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - World's richest woman says poor should have less fun, work harder. Calls for lower minimum wage and tax cuts

She's right. It's your fault for not being born rich.

Around the Network

Its insensitive and not politically correct but it is not inherently wrong ...

While becoming "Bill Gates Rich" involves a lot of exceptional things to line up for you, the basic process of climbing the economic ladder involves showing up, doing the work that is required of you, and trying to get along with your co-workers/other students and boss/teacher.

Anyone can end up being "poor" for a period of their life due to misfortune, but almost no one stays "poor" for a long period of time without their decisions and attitude playing a major role in it. Certainly we all may "fail" in life but the difference between those who are successful and those who are not is often based on who tries again. There is a long list of successful people who were successful simply because they were willing to fail more than anyone else.

We would mock a 40 year old man who never had a girlfriend who made up countless excuses why he never put any effort into attracting women and yet deserved to be with a "perfect 10", and yet we completely tolerate people making similar excuses why they never put any effort into their career but deserve to be wealthy.

It's true, though. Just look at China.

MrBubbles said:
well...she makes a couple valid points. often its the poorest who smoke and drink the most, who would be much better off if they didnt smoke and drink. its amazing how many people on welfare can manage to spend one to two hundred dollars a month on cigarettes.

i assume this "lady" has some business sense at least. she inherited the company and it was losing money at the time. the prices did shoot up in her favour, but i gather it takes some competency to run such a business. it doesnt make it not immensely hypocritical to tell people to work harder when you yourself had such a leg up as inheriting a very large mining company, of course :P

I agree with you on this point. Generally, the poorest people have some very expensive and debiltating habits.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Wow holy ignorant Batman! She inherited her fortune and she wants to preach about working harder? The hell!?

Around the Network

Hey, could this be 2000cc's mum? Or 2000cc herself, lol. She told me she was rich because she belonged to a millionaire Australian family that has a mining business. But then again everything else about her was fake...

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

ok it is true that on average, someone who is doing more for his carreer than someone else, that this guy will get more money on average, but that doesn't mean that this always works for everyone and that also doesn't mean that problems get solved with a more business friendly system.

i just hope she pays all her employees who work very hard for her company enough to have enough money to invest and start an own business to make much more money as they already do which is already easily enough because yeah, they work very hard right?

blkfish92 said:
Wow holy ignorant Batman! She inherited her fortune and she wants to preach about working harder? The hell!?

We take Gotham from the corrupt! The rich! The oppressors of generations who have kept you down with myths of opportunity, and we give it back to you... the people. Gotham is yours. None shall interfere. Do as you please. Start by storming Blackgate, and freeing the oppressed! Step forward those who would serve. For an army will be raised. The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests, and cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be shed. The police will survive, as they learn to serve true justice. This great city... it will endure. Gotham will survive!

Work harder....hmm. 40 hours a week in a dead end job to pay half of that in debt and the other in food and shelter, check. Soliciting to work 20 additional hours a week as an internship in my preferred field related to my bachelor degree for no pay, in limbo for months, check. Buy enough bags to hold all my money, in progress.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

spurgeonryan said:
tonymarraffa said:
What a cunt!

What does that word mean? More british slang left for the Americans on this site to decipher?

It's not british slang as far as I'm aware, just a derogatory term not used very often.