By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "The PS2's death"-predictions

So, when will PlayStation 2 "die"? What do you think? Or will it "survive" another generation (hopefully not)? Will it survive longer in this generation that PlayStation did in the last generation?

(It's really annoying to see that the PS2 is still selling well...)

Around the Network

i think it will die within the year

well if Sony does what they say they will, I'd say at it's 10 year mark XD or probably when they announce the PS4.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

The PS2's sales will see a noticeable drop in 2008 (as compared to their 2007 sales), and another noticeable drop in 2009; through 2008 the PS2 will retain most of its retail space because sales of software will continue to perform adequately, but in 2009 half the space will be reclaimed in order to provide more retail space for newer and more popular systems. The PS2 will continue to have nominal sales and shrinking retail space through 2010 and 2011 and will eventually be pulled from shelves in 2012.

Two more years ... and may I ask why is it annoying that it still sells well ? I dont get it :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

It would just be ridiculous if someone would still buy a PS2 when PS4 will launch, or when the PS3 will be cheap to buy (then there won't be any reasons to buy a PS2 instead of a PS3, especially if there will be any BC PS3:s). Since there are no longer any BC PS3:s in Europe (and soon won't be in Japan), then the PS2 sales will drop very slowly...

Can anyone tell me, who is buying a PS2, now??? The PSP has both likely graphics and prices, and has many more advantages, so why don't buy it instead? "The PS2 had a great game library...", what a lie! Every successful PS2 game has or will have it's sequel on the PS3! Ok, the PS2 maybe had a good game library, but not the best! Even if you don't count with the BC, then the PS3 will still have much better games... Tell me any good PS2 exclusive that WON'T go on PS3!

hunter_alien said:
Two more years ... and may I ask why is it annoying that it still sells well ? I dont get it :?

Because there will be less mutliplatform great-graphic games. Even if the PS2 version will have worse graphics it will still affect the better versions...

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music

Give me time I'm working on it.