By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Vita truely dead?

only 40% i would say in minimum 100% increase.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
I wish I could get some weekly dream cast numbers for comparison.

Dreamcast launched November 27, 1998 in Japan. In America and Europe it was about a year later. It was discontinued at end of March 2001.

So it lived 122 weeks in Japan, 81 weeks in the US and 76 weeks in Europe. It sold 10.6 million units. If we take the longest lifetime (122 weeks) it averages at a little less than 87K a week. If we count the time it was out in Japan alone only as half (as only half the regions) it averages at 105K a week. That includes launch and holiday-boosts, it seems unfair to compare it directly with current sales of Vita.

But we can calculate the Vita-numbers the same way. VGC has the numbers of Vita until the week ending August 11 at 2,654,188. Vita launched in Japan at December 17, 2011. In NA and Europe it was February 22, 2012. That makes 34 weeks in Japan and 24 in the rest of the world. Using the full timescale we are at 78K weekly. Are we counting again the time it was out only in Japan only half it averages at 92K. This includes launch-boost, but no proper christmas-boost.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

HappySqurriel said:
leatherhat said:
So what do people think its sales should be at the end of the year for it to be "saved."

I think it will probably end up with between 4 and 6 million, and a healthier number would be between 8 and 10 million.

For fiscal year ending March2013, 10-12 mil sounds reasonable (it would after all be out for 15months by that time).  If it was to reach 8-9 mil by the end of the holiday season (dec2012) then it means there is still a chance and the gloom had passed.  But honestly, 4-6 mil worldwide sales even for the holiday season is quite pathetic and would indicate that the system is already dead. If rumours are to be believed the industry will be moving onmost support X720,PS4 and Wii U by Dec2013.

Slimebeast said:
HappySqurriel said:
leatherhat said:
I just went and checked ps3's sales for its first holiday. And it averaged around 178k weekly without European sales. Its second holiday and first ww holiday it did significantly better averaging 326k from the middle of October to the end of the year. So thats what one struggling console did in its first holiday. And vita would need to average 300k from now til the end of the year to break 8 million worldwide. So lets discuss the likelihood of that.

If we make the assumption that the PS-Vita has sold 2.5 million units and there is 18 weeks left in the year.

To make 8 million it would need to average (roughly) 180,000 per week until November and 450,000 per week after that; which doesn't seem possible.

To make 6 million it would need to average (roughly) 110,000 per week until November and 300,000 per week after that; which seems possible but unlikely.

To make 4 million it would need to average 50,000 per week until November and 125,000 per week after that; which will certainly happen.

Great post and reasonable numbers (although I think there are 20 or 21 weeks left of this year, depending on where you end it).

Using your numbers a little, I predict:

Without price-cut:
50k per week in Aug-Oct = 600K
150K per week in Nov-Dec = 1.35 mill
total: 2.5 mill + 600K + 1.35 mill = 4.45 mill by end of year

With a $50 price cut sales could increase up to 40% (optimistically):
70k per week in Aug-Oct ~ 800K
210K per week in Nov-Dec = 1.9 mill
Total: 2.5 mill + 800K + 1.9 mill = 5.2 mill by end of year

So even with a price cut we get a dismal lifetime sales of 5.2 million by end of 2012.

LOL...I'm totally with you on that one.  If it was another system selling 5.2mil units after 1 year of release; the gaming public would have announced it dead already.  Sales of 5-6mil by the holidays is very dismal indeed.

o_O.Q said:
why frame the op as a question? its clear you've already made up your mind

"I GIVE VITA UNTIL 2013 AND THEN SONY WILL SURELY PULL THE PLUG!!!"

Because the Vita isn't officially dead until Sony pulls the plug.  I for one believe that Sony is about to pull or should pull the plug if dismal sales continue as they are.  Sony will be in a dog fight this coming generation; with the Durango overpowering the PS4 and Nintendo's new system releasing a year early with tech that is not so far behind as the Wii was to the PS3.  The PSV is a distraction to Sony; one they cannot afford.  Even hardcore Sony fans have such low expectations of the system (6mil units by the end of Dec2012...really?) that Sony might as well pull the plug and cut their losses.  I see no way for Sony to pull this around and was hoping for more insight on how such a former powerhouse in the gaming industry is relegated to last place this generation and selling a handheld in a worse situation than it had in comparison to the previous one.  The failure (debatable) of the PS Move and PSP GO, also highlight a dangerous trend for Sony that I had not seen since 32X and Saturn era.

Around the Network

The Vita isn't dead. It is doing poorly and in a precarious position however. Sony doesn't seem to have a solid plan of action for turning things around. That's disturbing considering it's current sales rate. I can't see Sony pulling the plug on the platform. However they do need to do something before retailers start reducing the Vita's shelf space.

oni-link said:
HappySqurriel said:
leatherhat said:
So what do people think its sales should be at the end of the year for it to be "saved."

I think it will probably end up with between 4 and 6 million, and a healthier number would be between 8 and 10 million.

For fiscal year ending March2013, 10-12 mil sounds reasonable (it would after all be out for 15months by that time).  If it was to reach 8-9 mil by the end of the holiday season (dec2012) then it means there is still a chance and the gloom had passed.  But honestly, 4-6 mil worldwide sales even for the holiday season is quite pathetic and would indicate that the system is already dead. If rumours are to be believed the industry will be moving onmost support X720,PS4 and Wii U by Dec2013.

10 Million by the end of March 2013 is an average sales of (roughly) 250,000 per week from now until then ... Currently the PS-Vista is selling at 35,000 units per week. Realistically, there is no way it could sell that many units by then ...

small44 said:

Typically a $50 price drop has a +100% increase in sales for a few weeks but then they stabilize at around 25-40% for the next few months. And obviously later on the sales increase slowly drops even further.

So it's not unreasonable to assume a 40% average increase in sales over 5 months (Aug-Dec) if a price drop comes in early Fall. A 100% increase over 5 months is just wild fantasies.

small44 said:

If you are referring to the boost a $50 price cut would give... whoever mentioned it earlier was referring to a sustained boost of 40%. A sustained boost of 100% would be unprecedented for a small cut like that. (The PS3 slim re-design in September 2009 also came with a $100 price cut and managed to make around a 150% boost for the rest of the year (calculated by comparing with the previous years sales)... That was a double whammy of new slim design, and an even bigger price cut by $ and %.)

Sure the first week or two would see a boost above 100% (ie over double the previous weeks), but a 20% cut alone would be lucky to push over a 50% sales boost for the remainder of the year unless the cut was made in December (ie when there isn't enough time left in the year for sales to stabilise).

I think if Sony do a price cut sale with increase then developpers will increase the support and sale will improove even more.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m