By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google should remove emulators

sethnintendo said:

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that Google doesn't give a shit that they have tons of free and paid emulators on their market.  This is obviously illegal and Google is making money off of the paid emulators.  Hell, there was even a SNES emulator in the top 50 paid apps when I checked earlier today.  Does anyone else care or think that Google should be sued over this?  I believe Nintendo and Sony should team up and sue the shit out of Google for providing illegal material to their consumers while collecting money off the paid emulator apps.

Edit- For those stating that emulators are legal.  Yes, they are but downloading the illegal ROMs and playing them on the emulator isn't.  What do you think most people do with emulators?  Do you think they just play custom made games and not the classics?  I highly doubt most emulator users actually use their emulators legally.

As you already mention, that emulators are legal, I have only one thing to add: here in germany and probably in many other countries it is legal to play the ROMs you have copied from the originals you own and kept. In reality most people don't have the equipment to copy ROMs, but that is probably enough that the emulators are safe from lawsuits. And personally I have to say: copy a ROM from the internet, for that you own the original should also be legal. Obviously nobody loses anything from that. And you win, if you own the SNES-game, but can play it now with more resolution or on the go.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Yes. The world needs more lawsuits

Do you want all the lawyers live from unemployment compensation? Think about how the taxes would increase.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Kasz216 said:
sethnintendo said:

Okay so most are saying emulators are legal. I will look further into it but you gotta be fucking kidding yourself if you think people are downloading these emulators to play just custom made games. I beleive most people are downloading these to play the classics.

Actually, that's legal too.

Bleem! who won their case was specifically marketed as an emulator that allows you to play PS1 games on your dreamcast or computer.  They even used direct images from Sony created exclsuives like Metal Gear Solid and Tekken

The above was ruled totally legal. 

The only thing in emulation that's actually illegal is downloading a Rom from the internet.

Which over 90% of emulator users probably do.  Impossible to find actual numbers but I can safely assume this considering that is what most people use them for.  I suppose it is losing a fighting battle but I think it is pure bs.  I even have a few friends that pirated the fuck out of their Wiis.  I actually want to give companies I care for money.  I view emulator users as cheap ass bastards and this view will never change because I know most use illegal ROMs.

Technically, you're supposed to dump the data onto your computer.

For instance I rip Final Fantasy 9-12, SOTC and they run better/look better than the PS3 editions of those games :P, and play them on PC at 1080 P :D.

However, if I recall you're supposed to dump your own bios if you're using the bios which is generally better for atleast the PS emulators. The same applies with cartridge games, I think you're technically supposed to dump those files onto your computer, and not download someone elses roms.

But, that is tedious, and you're arguing over semantics.

Have you ever downloaded music, or listened to not official music posted on youtube, those are in violation of copyright laws as well.

seiya19 said:
Emulators are indeed legal, and there's plenty of other uses for it than just playing "commercial" games, as others mentioned before me. It also plays a very important role in the preservation of gaming's history, as evidenced by MAME's extraordinary efforts, for example. You certainly can't expect much in this area from publishers, either because of being organizations for profit, or because of having to deal with copyright limitations...

Bolded: A very important aspect i think. Games are a form of art, and should not only be viewed from the aspect of a product. Archiving cultural roots is important. Thats the same as archiving old books, music and movies.

Around the Network
ishiki said:

Have you ever downloaded music, or listened to not official music posted on youtube, those are in violation of copyright laws as well?

Yea, I have in the past but I hardly ever go to YouTube now (especially when they started adding in a ton of ads).  Napster got their asses sued back in the day and now they are a legit company merged with Rhapsody.

BasilZero said:
Kasz216 said:
BasilZero said:
superchunk said:
Emulators are not illegal... only the roms and those emulators do not provide roms.

The existence of emulators arent illegal but dont you think the distribution of emulators and making money off of the distribution is?

It isn't.  That's why Sony lost when they sued the creators of Bleem!

Although the lawsuits were draining enough that said creators went out of buisness...

it more or less established that emulators are 100% legal.

No I didnt mean the existence of the emulators or the availability, but the fact that people are selling software which otherwise is actually free and available, isnt that against the rules or could be used to get it off the app store?

If we talk about Open-Source, than it's allowed by the fact that it is Open-Source. As long as they follow the license provided with the emulator, it is OK.

That's like saying if I hit a person with a car the person I hit should sue the car manufactuer. Also they don't really care because most of those games are selling one copy a year and sony or nintendo isn't seeing a dime of it. According to your logic gamestop should be sued for providing used games to the public and sony doesn't see a dime of it. I am sure you have traded in games before.  I almost forgot there is also the factor that a lot of those games probably aren't even under copyright anymore. I am betting a very large amount of SNES games aren't even under copywright anymore.

Your concerted and vainglorious plight for nonexistent laws of intellectual property is futile.

lt_dan_27 said:

That's like saying if I hit a person with a car the person I hit should sue the car manufactuer. Also they don't really care because most of those games are selling one copy a year and sony or nintendo isn't seeing a dime of it. According to your logic gamestop should be sued for providing used games to the public and sony doesn't see a dime of it. I am sure you have traded in games before.  I almost forgot there is also the factor that a lot of those games probably aren't even under copyright anymore. I am betting a very large amount of SNES games aren't even under copywright anymore.

The car manufacturer could be at fault if there was a manufacturer's defect that caused the accident.  Last time I checked Gamestop buys actual legit copies of games and not ROMs from the internet.   So SNES isn't covered by copyright laws then what about GBA?  There are plenty of those on the market place.  Also, for the fact that they wouldn't get any money from sales.  Nintendo still sells millions of copies of Super Mario Bros 1-3 on the VC.  There is still demand and people willing to pay to play their old classics.