By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google should remove emulators

kain_kusanagi said:

Backups are also 100% legal. You allowed to make backup copies of all software, videos, music, etc. for your own personal use. 

nope nope nope

By making a backup you are circumventing copy protection, and circumvention is illegal in the US under the DMCA.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Backups are also 100% legal. You allowed to make backup copies of all software, videos, music, etc. for your own personal use. 

nope nope nope

By making a backup you are circumventing copy protection, and circumvention is illegal in the US under the DMCA.

Copy protection may in fact be illegal itself because it circumvents the property owners right to archival backup. Nobody has sued over it and no company would risking suing over breaking copy protection for fear that the judge would rule in favor of backup.

It is very common for a law to be illegal. That's what the supreme court is for. All it would take is one person to prove that personal backup rights are being infringed by the overreaching and unconstitutional DMCA and it would be overturned.

kain_kusanagi said:
Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:

nope nope nope

Copy protection may in fact be illegal itself because it circumvents the property owners right to archival backup. Nobody has sued over it and no company would risking suing over breaking copy protection for fear that the judge would rule in favor of backup.

It is very common for a law to be illegal. That's what the supreme court is for. All it would take is one person to prove that personal backup rights are being infringed by the overreaching and unconstitutional DMCA and it would be overturned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDY_Indus._LLC_v._Blizzard_Entm%27t,_Inc.

You don't actually own the software so you have no right to archival backup. I can't find any case challenging the DMCA and if it was that easy, the EFF would have done it already.

Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:

nope nope nope

You don't actually own the software so you have no right to archival backup. I can't find any case challenging the DMCA and if it was that easy, the EFF would have done it already.

I don't agree with those rulings at all. I own that which I buy whether it be physical or digital. That is a fundamental belief that I have and no bogus ruling is going to change that for me. But that doesn't really matter because we aren't talking about those cases we are talking about old NES games being played on modern systems, most of which can't even be found in store and the ones you can find may not even have working hardware to play it on. Either way the original content makers would see a dime from any used purchase no matter how expensive the ebay auction price. If you and other "pirate haters" had their way eventually all those old classics from the 8bit days will be lost to time. All we'd have to remember the old days are the few games companies like Nintendo feel generous enough to sell back to us when we already bought the damn thing 20 years ago. Real piracy is when someone makes a bunch of copies and sells them as new for a lower price than the real product. That's not what someone who just wants to be able to play Tiny Tune Adventures for the NES is doing when the download the ROM because their NES doesn't work anymore.

Get off your high horse and consider for one minute that some people use emulation as a tool and have no intention of harming. That's what backup and fair use laws protect. We all have the right to do what we want with our property. Once we buy something it is our property. That is fundamental even if stupid judges and lawmakers got tricked by sly lobbyists paid for by the corporations.

kain_kusanagi said:
Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:

nope nope nope

I don't agree with those rulings at all. I own that which I buy whether it be physical or digital.

Yeah but they happened and that's the precedent now. You don't have to agree with it for it to actually be the law.

That is a fundamental belief that I have and no bogus ruling is going to change that for me. But that doesn't really matter because we aren't talking about those cases we are talking about old NES games being played on modern systems, most of which can't even be found in store and the ones you can find may not even have working hardware to play it on. Either way the original content makers would see a dime from any used purchase no matter how expensive the ebay auction price. If you and other "pirate haters" had their way eventually all those old classics from the 8bit days will be lost to time.All we'd have to remember the old days are the few games companies like Nintendo feel generous enough to sell back to us when we already bought the damn thing 20 years ago. Real piracy is when someone makes a bunch of copies and sells them as new for a lower price than the real product. That's not what someone who just wants to be able to play Tiny Tune Adventures for the NES is doing when the download the ROM because their NES doesn't work anymore.

Just because you try and morally justify it doesn't make it legal.

Get off your high horse and consider for one minute that some people use emulation as a tool and have no intention of harming.

Uh, I completely agree it should be legal? I'm arguing against the claim that it IS legal.

That's what backup and fair use laws protect. We all have the right to do what we want with our property. Once we buy something it is our property. That is fundamental even if stupid judges and lawmakers got tricked by sly lobbyists paid for by the corporations.

There is no universal right to property that is enforced by, like, angels or something. It's only your BELIEF that a universal right should exist. We have to deal with the world as it is rather than wishing, and right now it could get you jailed or fined with little hope of changing.

In case you misunderstand me I think the DMCA is a terrible piece of legislation and those judges were very wrong. But I'm not an idealist.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Soleron said:
kain_kusanagi said:

nope nope nope

I don't agree with those rulings at all. I own that which I buy whether it be physical or digital.

Yeah but they happened and that's the precedent now. You don't have to agree with it for it to actually be the law.

That is a fundamental belief that I have and no bogus ruling is going to change that for me. But that doesn't really matter because we aren't talking about those cases we are talking about old NES games being played on modern systems, most of which can't even be found in store and the ones you can find may not even have working hardware to play it on. Either way the original content makers would see a dime from any used purchase no matter how expensive the ebay auction price. If you and other "pirate haters" had their way eventually all those old classics from the 8bit days will be lost to time.All we'd have to remember the old days are the few games companies like Nintendo feel generous enough to sell back to us when we already bought the damn thing 20 years ago. Real piracy is when someone makes a bunch of copies and sells them as new for a lower price than the real product. That's not what someone who just wants to be able to play Tiny Tune Adventures for the NES is doing when the download the ROM because their NES doesn't work anymore.

Just because you try and morally justify it doesn't make it legal.

Get off your high horse and consider for one minute that some people use emulation as a tool and have no intention of harming.

Uh, I completely agree it should be legal? I'm arguing against the claim that it IS legal.

That's what backup and fair use laws protect. We all have the right to do what we want with our property. Once we buy something it is our property. That is fundamental even if stupid judges and lawmakers got tricked by sly lobbyists paid for by the corporations.

There is no universal right to property that is enforced by, like, angels or something. It's only your BELIEF that a universal right should exist. We have to deal with the world as it is rather than wishing, and right now it could get you jailed or fined with little hope of changing.

In case you misunderstand me I think the DMCA is a terrible piece of legislation and those judges were very wrong. But I'm not an idealist.

We have a god given rights. Ownership of property is one of them. That's why you can shoot someone breaking into your house even if they are unarmed.

sethnintendo said:

...I believe Nintendo and Sony should team up and sue Google for providing...

Why Do U Ignore Xbox 360?

Seriously, Sony wants no involvement with a lawsuit. With their luck, the entire process would backfire and they would lose BILLION$

Kasz216 said:

"The best PSX fighter - even better on Dreamcast!"

BWAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious! I wish something like this would release today. The meltdowns would be amazing!

If anything, I think emulators and ROMs help Nintendo and Sony. They definitely don't miss out when someone downloads ROMs. It's not like that person was going to legally purchase any ancient games. And even if they would purchase such an old game, neither Nintendo nor Sony would have made any profit from it.

There's a better chance of someone downloading a ROM, becoming a fan of a company, and subsequently buying future titles from the company rather than the company actually losing money because of ROMs

kain_kusanagi said:

We have a god given rights. Ownership of property is one of them. That's why you can shoot someone breaking into your house even if they are unarmed.

Please say you're religious upfront next time, it's not even worth arguing with such irrationality that results from it. There are no moral absolutes, not even God an agree with himself on them.