By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google should remove emulators

Google shouldn't be sued for having emulators. Nintendo should be reprimanded for asking $8 for a SNES game.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that Google doesn't give a shit that they have tons of free and paid emulators on their market.  This is obviously illegal and Google is making money off of the paid emulators.  Hell, there was even a SNES emulator in the top 50 paid apps when I checked earlier today.  Does anyone else care or think that Google should be sued over this?  I believe Nintendo and Sony should team up and sue the shit out of Google for providing illegal material to their consumers while collecting money off the paid emulator apps.

I agree that something should be done but I have no real  idea what to do.  For me removing the stuff would be good but how to convince them to do it?

Another thing that bothers me is  Why the hell does wikipedia have EMULATION as part of most consoles? For me this has nothing at all to do with information about a console.  I mean its biased  they seem to want people to play illegal copies of games   otherwhise they would also add  CASE MODDING to the wiki  but this clearly is not the case.  So why is emulation part of a consoles wiki  but case modding is not?

And why sue Google over this? They didn't make the emulator. Sue that guy in his garage if you have to.

...not that i think anyone should be sued over emulation, but this would just be a case of folloing the money and not the cause.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

BasilZero said:
superchunk said:
Emulators are not illegal... only the roms and those emulators do not provide roms.

The existence of emulators arent illegal but dont you think the distribution of emulators and making money off of the distribution is?

It isn't.  That's why Sony lost when they sued the creators of Bleem!

Although the lawsuits were draining enough that said creators went out of buisness...

it more or less established that emulators are 100% legal.

BasilZero said:
superchunk said:
Emulators are not illegal... only the roms and those emulators do not provide roms.

The existence of emulators arent illegal but dont you think the distribution of emulators and making money off of the distribution is?

No...Those emulators use custom code...Nintendo owns the right to the console, not the Moss 6502 processor that was used in the system.

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

Around the Network

The only reason Apple blocks emulators is so that they can control exactly what code runs on their platform. Emulators run any code put into them.

superchunk said:
BasilZero said:
superchunk said:

Quite a few people have backups of their actual games. Emulators are the only way to play those.

Personally, idc. They are only for consoles many generations dead and frankly, its robbery what console manufacturers sell those old games for digitally.

as vgchartz's resident anti-piracy asshole i'd just like to say ... you're right.  emulators aren't illegal and i agree that dead gens should eventually be open to the public.  what are patents good for?  17 years?  why games, music, and movies IP rights last longer than innovation in science and technology is a complete mystery to me.

Okay so most are saying emulators are legal. I will look further into it but you gotta be fucking kidding yourself if you think people are downloading these emulators to play just custom made games. I beleive most people are downloading these to play the classics.

"Patents last for about 20 years, depending upon the jurisdiction. Many once-lucrative patents covering base computing technologies such as side-scrolling or use of interchangeable ROM cartridges have lapsed into the public domain. Nonetheless, 20 years is a long time in game development, and some technology or algorithm developed 5 years ago for which patents were granted only last year may remain valid and useable for the next 10 to 15 years. In lean times or for an assignee developer on the acquisition trail, enforceable patents that are infringed present significant opportunities. "

http://wiki.igda.org/IP_Rights_SIG/Overview_of_IP_in_Video_Games

So the patents for video games last 20 years.  Guess what there are plenty of GBA and other more recent emulators on the market.  The GBA is not 20 years old and I am sure plenty of people are playing pirated GBA games with the emulators.  Sure they might allow legal use but they sure as hell encourage illegal use.

superchunk said:

What do you think most users use an emulator for?  Legal purposes... yea right

I'm trying to make a drug analogy but it really isn't working.  It is almost like giving someone a legal bag of weed but then telling them by using any smoking device would be illegal.  So you have something legal but the main way to use it is illegal.

sethnintendo said:

Okay so most are saying emulators are legal. I will look further into it but you gotta be fucking kidding yourself if you think people are downloading these emulators to play just custom made games. I beleive most people are downloading these to play the classics.

Actually, that's legal too.

Bleem! who won their case was specifically marketed as an emulator that allows you to play PS1 games on your dreamcast or computer.  They even used direct images from Sony created exclsuives like Metal Gear Solid and Tekken

The above was ruled totally legal. 

The only thing in emulation that's actually illegal is downloading a Rom from the internet.