By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You know what? I don't think you're hardcore at all.

d21lewis said:

And how old were you when you played your first "mature" game?  Was it Grand Theft Auto 3 back in 2001?  Was it Mortal Kombat Back in 1993?  Or did you wait until you were 18 years old?

I don't know you but be honest, you little devil, you.

That's irrelevant. The role of the parent is different to that of a friend.

You post actually reminded me of "Danny the Dog" with Jet Li, "get them young enough and you can get them to do anything".

Danny's master was gloatin the same way you are.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Ow btw Child Protection Services wants to know why your 11 year old is playing 16+ games.... >_>

There is a statistic over 70% of people who play CoD,Halo and Gears are under the age of 14 - Especially on CoD they are damn young.
These are kids games for casuals...They are aimed at them.No learning curve - Just jump in and play a match and be a hero.

Those kids grow up thinking they are gods but in reality they are hardcore noob casuals that couldn't beat any REAL good and hard game.
Of course there are still enough games that check your skills but kids these days are all about what is cool at school...

BATTLEFIELD 3 on PC?NO THANKS THATS FOR LOSERS!I dont have time for that!
Im a CoD Progamer on Xbox360!
Starcraft 2?LOL only people with weird eyes play this....Halo Wars is where the real deal is!!!!!

Im glad there are still games for REAL Gamers but for how long?There are less and less - Hope we have at least a handful next Gen.
Maybe its our fault cause we didn't introduce the new gamers to good games and let them play this casual garbage stuff that is so popular now :<

LOL! Another epic thread from d21lewis

@digitaldevilsummoner, chill dude...

superchunk said:

Frankly, I don't care as much about the random violence as that's just not an issue to me. But the extreme language the solo-player campaign feels is absolutely needed for a quality game is ridiculous.

In all honesty, those millitary members would be cursing just as much or possibly MORE in real life, than they do in video games. To me, that was done in the vein of realistically portraying the situation. You wouldn't be called in for interrogation over a nuclear bomb and expect the interrogator to be nice to you.... ..... would you?

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
d21lewis said:

And how old were you when you played your first "mature" game?  Was it Grand Theft Auto 3 back in 2001?  Was it Mortal Kombat Back in 1993?  Or did you wait until you were 18 years old?

You post actually reminded me of "Danny the Dog" with Jet Li, "get them young enough and you can get them to do anything".

Wow.  I guess you have me pegged.  Never seen "Danny the Dog" but I assume you're correct.  Your ability to judge 11 years of parenting by a single video game thread is simply amazing.

Disregard the fact that she's been a straight "A" student since first grade, the fact that we go on trips, movies, etc.  Forget that I've watched endless hours of Disney and Nickelodeon sitcoms or the fact that 90% of my Netflix recommendations are shows like Hannah Montanna and Hey Arnold.  Throw away all of the hours I've spent doing homework after I get off from work or how I work from 6pm to 6am (rotating schedule) and when I get off from work, I gladly drive her 300 miles to a doctor for a medical condition she has.  Forget that any adult she meets tells me how mature she acts, how well she speaks, and how well behaved she is.  I let her play a video game.  I'm horrible.

But no, I don't think that.  I don't smoke, drink, or go out to parties.  We have a very close relationship.  On top of all of the video games, she has a love for reading, drawing, and building things.  Regardless of how you, a random internet user, see me--I see how she acts and I know I've done a good job so far.  I'll let you know how we enjoy the M-Rated game, okay?

Around the Network

Hmmm, when I was younger I don't think I played casual games. I played games like the original mario games (no, they were not easy and getting far in the game means playing long stretches of time), Final Fantasy games, Azure Dreams, and a few others. Pokemon may be one of the casual games I actually played, but I don't think that you can call a game casual if it requires a fairly large amount of effort to beat it. Casual gamers look for something like pac-man or the newer mario games that are much more forgiving than the old ones. I think even the new ones aren't completely casual, as my parents are actually able to play casual games but they still can't really do Mario. That's my opinion, at least.

i was wrong, the quote is "Get 'em young, and the possibilities are endless."

i have no clue what short of discussion you were hoping to get by saying that your 11 yo has plowed through gears

mature content and minors. great idea for an internet topic !

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
d21lewis said:

If he's helping her contextualize what she's seeing on the screen and always makes a clear distinction between what is okay in a fnatasy context and what is okay in a real context, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what's going on here, and htis form of father/daughter bonding can only be a positive thing.

When I started gaming, I don't think there really was such a thing as a casual game or casual gamers. Most people in my inner circle that played games would jump from Contra to Adventure Island to Tecmo Bowl to Castlevania without thinking twice. The closest thing to "Too Hardcore" would be something like Dance Dance Revolution or something that required a peripheral or a lot of money to play. To us, that was for the real serious gamers. We just played what we liked. Now, if your game doesn't feature blood and profanity, it's not a real game. Sign of the times, I guess.

Khuutra said:

If he's helping her contextualize what she's seeing on the screen and always makes a clear distinction between what is okay in a fnatasy context and what is okay in a real context, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what's going on here, and htis form of father/daughter bonding can only be a positive thing.

yeah, here's the post i read:

a guy on the internet used how his 11 year old daughter handles mature content, as an example into the blatantly obvious topic that games have gotten easier