By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You know what? I don't think you're hardcore at all.

even so, the audience who would wanna argue that core games are harder simply cause they are core games is some immature 15 year olds and nintendo haters !

core and kiddie games; that is a completely pointless distinction for any gamer who is even remotely serious about their hobby.

yet someone felt like he needed to bring in an 11 year old and her interaction with mature content as an example, in an obvious or a non issue.

im out, if the mods think this thread is ok, i have no say

Around the Network

Get her a STALKER game. She'll become a vodka drinking alcoholic over night.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

d21lewis said:
amp316 said:
She is probably a camper in CoD, isn't she?

Even I get 1 kill and 15 deaths from time to time!  What does that say about me?

That you're not hardcore?

Khuutra said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
d21lewis said:

And how old were you when you played your first "mature" game?  Was it Grand Theft Auto 3 back in 2001?  Was it Mortal Kombat Back in 1993?  Or did you wait until you were 18 years old?

I don't know you but be honest, you little devil, you.

That's irrelevant. The role of the parent is different to that of a friend.

You post actually reminded me of "Danny the Dog" with Jet Li, "get them young enough and you can get them to do anything".

Danny's master was gloatin the same way you are.

If he's helping her contextualize what she's seeing on the screen and always makes a clear distinction between what is okay in a fnatasy context and what is okay in a real context, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what's going on here, and htis form of father/daughter bonding can only be a positive thing.

This is interesting to me. I've been playing and seeing violent things in video games since my youth, and my parents (nor anyone else) ever felt the need to contextualize things for me in the sense of "that's a video game and it's okay in the game, but not in real life."

I always knew that already in my head and grew up with that sort of common sense, identity, or whatever you want to call it. Am I such an anomaly? I hear all this talk about how parents need to watch and tell their kids what's okay when it's something I've always understood without the need for someone to explicitly tell me.

d21lewis said:

@Cyberninja Your post reminds me--fighting games are amongst my favorite genres. When she saw me playing Street Fighter online, she started training in Street Fighter (and she sucked). She even tried Metal Gear solid 2 when she saw me playing the HD collection and really getting into it (and again, she sucked). She just wants to be me!

When I was a cop, I took her to the doctor and he asked her "What do you want to be when you grow up." She said, "A police....so I can help my dad." You better believe she got whatever she wanted that day!! I never felt so proud.

Well, I'm waaaaay off topic from my original post and I need to wash dishes so we can play. I only have today off from work so I don't need to waste anymore time on the net. Later, gang!

Oh, and you hardcore gamers are still a bunch of pussies. TTYL.

Hmmm but are you any good?

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

even so, the audience who would wanna argue that core games are harder simply cause they are core games is some immature 15 year olds and nintendo haters !

core and kiddie games; that is a completely pointless distinction for any gamer who is even remotely serious about their hobby.

yet someone felt like he needed to bring in an 11 year old and her interaction with mature content as an example, in an obvious or a non issue.

im out, if the mods think this thread is ok, i have no say

The ratings system here (in Australia) frames things as recommended for mature audiences or restricted to mature audiences.  The first means very little whereas the second means the people under the age of 15 should not be able to purchase the game un-accompanied.  Does this mean no one purchases these games for their under 15 year olds, of course not.  Does the law ever pursue such people, of course not, because parents are not in any way legally bound by these ratings.

These are general recommendations designed to assist parents (and individuals themselves) to maked informed decisions on what content they want their children or themselves to watch or play.  These are guidelines decided upon by a small representative body which must be generally applicable to millions of people, they are not in any way meant to supplant parental decision making.

I might have a bit of a problem with an 11 year old playing all of these games unsupervised. The fact that she's playing these games with her father that gives me  confidence that she as an indiviual will not be exposed to material she is not capable of handling, much moreso than any recommendation made by any random group of individuals who are not in a position to make decisions tailored to the individual. Not all 11 year olds are the same.

Ratings systems aside the concept of maturity isn't something that is, legally speaking,  defined by age. The law in both Australia and England (last time I looked), grants in theory, the right for individuals between the ages of 12-16 to receive confidential medical care. That is to say there is recognition in this situation, where the potential consequences are much greater than playing a 'mature' game, that maturity is not magically acquired at a single age.  The degree of maturity is an assessment the doctor must make on a case by case basis, if a 12 year old is assessed to be mature, then the doctor is obliged to maintain confidentiality.

The simple fact that the ratings systems from various countries are so different is further evidence that 'maturity' is not magically acquired at a single age.  Parents's ultimately have to make the decision.

Every modern game is casual compared to old games.

Back in my day being a "hardcore" gamer just meant you played a lot of games and knew a lot about games. It meant you knew the Konami code and carried a Gameboy or Game Gear in your backpack.

When did "hardcore" start having anything to do with the game's content or theme? When did gamers start caring about being "hardcore"? Probably around the time the internet turned happy console players into crazy hate filled fanboys. Before the internet we didn't know Mario 2 was Doki Doki Panic. Before the internet if you had a Genisis and your friend had a SNES it mean you'd play each other's games. Now fanboys hate each other just for playing games on a console that isn't their favorite. And apparently the word hardcore is something worth arguing over because nobody wants to just be a casual gamer.

I like movies, but I don't go and see every single one. If you called me a casual movie watcher I'd be OK way with that. But, for some reason getting called a casual gamer is like calling someone retarded.

lol, great thread! i completely agree. i blame wii fit ... or canada. if i ever catch a canadian playing wii fit....