By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3's hardest fight is in Japan

Avinash_Tyagi said:
a12331 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PS3 is pretty much going to top out at around 4.5-5.5 million in Japan

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=N64®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=PSP®3=Japan&weeks=208

Notice the trends, lower than the N64 and a lot lower than the PSP

if yoy notice the chart s the ps3 is growing at a fast rate it only needs a couple of more weeks to beat the n64 (at the same time period.)

Except its flattening out, look at the PS3 sales in japan this week, down to the 30's, next week probably near the 20's, so it won't overtake, and ten you can see the N64 will have its uplifit putting even more space between them

@a12331. Not sure what graph you were looking at... if you put PS3, N64 and GC on the same graph then PS3 is no-where near N64. [best to usea low number of weeks like 100] If you extrapolated out the holiday sales it would be 5-6 weeks before it gets to N64... but holiday level sales are over now, the PS3 line will cross back under GC line, and unless it sees a healthy increase will stay under it... If sales double from last year then it should be back above the GC line by June/July

Around the Network

Everyone is always saying that "x game will save y console." I'm sure it happened with the N64, and then the GameCube. It's happening with the PS3.

This is the increase in weekly sales during the release of GT3 (in Japan).

This is the increase in weekly sales during the release of FFX (in Japan).

For those who don't know the release dates, it's 4/28/01 for GT3, and 7/19/01.

Those jumps are the increases. I've given you the data, make your own conclusions.

Stever89 said:

Everyone is always saying that "x game will save y console." I'm sure it happened with the N64, and then the GameCube. It's happening with the PS3.

Those jumps are the increases. I've given you the data, make your own conclusions.

Thank you for proving that those games only caused a mtemporary bump in sales

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

yeah i think its toughest fight is in japan,because japan usually just buys 1 console the most per gen just like with ps2 and now itsd happening with wii

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Stever89 said:

In the space of two months FFX sold 500,000 consoles.  I'd call that a pretty spectacular boost.  And the graph doesn't go very far.  if you extend it to the end of the year, you'll see that sales of the PS2 never dropped below that sales of the first week of sales shown on the graph, first week of June (the system's 2nd or 3rd weakest that year).  I'd say that's a pretty powerful, sustained effect on sales.  That game alone probably moved a million consoles over its first year, and FF13 has that same ability, especially since it's paired with FF13Versus.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
ChichiriMuyo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Stever89 said:

In the space of two months FFX sold 500,000 consoles.  I'd call that a pretty spectacular boost.  And the graph doesn't go very far.  if you extend it to the end of the year, you'll see that sales of the PS2 never dropped below that sales of the first week of sales shown on the graph, first week of June (the system's 2nd or 3rd weakest that year).  I'd say that's a pretty powerful, sustained effect on sales.  That game alone probably moved a million consoles over its first year, and FF13 has that same ability, especially since it's paired with FF13Versus.

500K in two months big whoop, Wii sports, play and Fit have all done more, and will likely continue to drive sales far longer, so the idea that games like FF and GT will do anything for PS3 beyond small bumps is not going to happen

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

DOATS1 said:
well, after ps3's failed lanuch, alot of people expected ps3 to either fall off by '08 or just about reach 6-7 million at this current point. it is completely possible that people could be wrong again. ps3 can still increase in sales. i dont think its fair to instantly assume that ps3 cannot compete anymore, because it is very possible and quite likely in my opinion, that it can.

People predicted 6-7 million based on small or no price cuts from Sony, given that the PS3 was so expensive to produce and cost Sony billions of dollars. Sony did very bold price cuts, which did in fact throw most people's predictions in the trash. But Sony can't do this every year, they simply have to start breaking even on hardware sales at some point.

SlorgNet said:
Ye Gods, another the-PS3-is-doomed thread.

Basic math check: Japan's population is 126 million or so, the US is at 303 million. So in per capita terms, the PS3 is selling slightly better in Japan than in the US (at a ratio of 7:5).

It's not a PS3-is-doomed thread, it's a discussion of something which is real. Making up a metric specifically to make it seem like the PS3 is doing well in Japan won't change the facts which were presented, and which are indeed worrying for PS3 (in Japan).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

People predicted 6-7 million based on small or no price cuts from Sony, given that the PS3 was so expensive to produce and cost Sony billions of dollars. Sony did very bold price cuts, which did in fact throw most people's predictions in the trash. But Sony can't do this every year, they simply have to start breaking even on hardware sales at some point.

Care to loose another bet? *eg*

Just_Ben said:
NJ5 said:

Do you think they'll do a 33% (or $/€ 200) price cut again this year? ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Just_Ben said:
NJ5 said:

Do you think they'll do a 33% (or $/€ 200) price cut again this year? ;)

not that exactly, but price will fall. At least $50 maybe even $100 in the US. And more than in the US in Europe. Japan? I don't know, but there will be a price drop, most likley q2.