By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3's hardest fight is in Japan

@shams

Consider the ps3 still cost more than the ps2.

And yes thankyou for bringing the great "wii is dominating ftw!! haha" into a thread in the ps3 forums.

If we had those 360 games on the ps3, ps3 would be selling at wii like sales now, the problem? 3rd parties are either being paid, or just plain stupid in killing their franchises and not making any money.

mM
Around the Network

@soriku

Undestand that those ps2 franchises moved consoles.

mM
Parokki said:
CrazzyMan said:
@Parokki,
6 mln.? are you INSANE? =))

Maybe, but at least I ain't crazzy.

Half of your list is stuff Japan couldn't care less about, and the rest is on par with what the Gamecube had. Sorry, but I have no intention of arguing with you futher. I've seen people try it, and it never leads to anything good.

Other than Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and maybe GTAIV and LBP, what would the Japanese not care about? Half of the rest of the list are JRPGs and SRPGs, and the other half are big hitters in Japan like MGS, Tekken, GT, RE, and DMC.

@HarryEaster,
THAT is TOTAL sales for next 3-4 years??? NOW THAT IS CRAZY!
BTW, have you seen FFXIII or GT5 graphics?

@TWRoO, yeah, Japanes don`t care about RE5, FFXIII:versus, neither SH5 or MGS4.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

@Crazzyman - yes those are LTDs. Most of the games on your list will not even reach 500k, they are not going to make a difference.

Around the Network

@soriku

The ps3 has no AAA franchises other than hot shots golf 5!!

Dragon quest is like final fantasy for nintendo it sells because its a AAA franchise.

This is just stupid that developers are killing themselves to suck on micro$ofts you know what.

I understand if the game sells, but its not right if it doesnt even break 20k!

mM

These are the titles (with confirmed release date) that I think will boost PS3 sales in the first half of 2008 in Japan: Devil May Cry 4, Disgaea 3, Yakuza: Kenzan, Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4. I believe that Japanese gamers will eventually embrace PS3. Why would they want to get a PS3 now? Most of the good games they want are for PS2 and PS3 games on the market are mostly western titles.

Japanese game developers are very anal with the quality control. Give them more time and they will start releasing games in a much faster pace (like PS2). It's not a big deal that PS3 has a slow start in Japan. In fact, the consequence is that more Asian gamers can get the opportunity to experience more western titles. It is actually a good thing for the gaming industry.

PS3 may be in a tough position in Japan and NA now, but it doesn't mean that is the end of it. A lot of people are waiting on the side line to jump in when it becomes cheaper/slimmer. The playstation brand is simply too big to be ignored. Besides, Sony is better off by making more money from "the others" regions because US dollar and Japanese yen doesn't worth as much as "the other" currencies now 

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Soriku said:
HarryEaster said:

@Crazzyman:

Likely sales:

Metal Gear Solid 4 (500k),
Killzone 2 + Resistance 2 (100k),
LittleBigPlanet (500k),
Gran Turismo 5 (750k),
Tekken 6 (300k),
Final Fantasy XIII (1.5m) + Final Fantasy XIII:versus (500k),
White Knight Story (250k),
Devil May Cry 4 (300k),
Last Remnant (150k),
Star Ocean 4 (250k),
Soul Calibur 4 (75k),
Armored Core 4 (125k),
Naruto PS3 project (200k),
Disgaea 3 (150k),
Team ICO games (150k),
Tales of Vesperia (300k),
Resident Evil 5 (250k),
Silent Hill 5 (100k),
Grand Theft Auto 4 (250k),
Yakuza 3 (350k),

The FFs are too low...

Especially Versus.

@Crazzy

Umm...graphics don't sell games (especially in Japan >_>).

yes, but you also have to remember piss poor graphics don't sell games either. Not that I'm saying the Wii is only capable of piss poor graphics.

FilaBrasileiro said:
Damstr8 said:
no PS3 games appeal to the japaneese at the moment...
 Well only 3 actually (soon to be 4 with DMC4), HSG5, Dynasty Warriors 6 and Gundam Mussou. You can make a small case for VF5 and NGS (Although I think they are more good titles that are out there than games that appeal to the Japanese.

well,clearly 4 isnt enough...

FFXII on PS2 only did 2.2m, why would XIII (on maybe 1/3 of the userbase) do as much?