By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3's hardest fight is in Japan

poor ps3.

Around the Network

I don't know how many PS3 games are tailored for the Japanese audience, but the only ones I can think of are Hot Shot Golf 5, Folklore, Virtua Fighter 5, and Gran Turismo: Prologue.

There needs to be more games, and one area that is lacking are the RPGs.

CrazzyMan said:
@Parokki,
6 mln.? are you INSANE? =))

Maybe, but at least I ain't crazzy.

Half of your list is stuff Japan couldn't care less about, and the rest is on par with what the Gamecube had. Sorry, but I have no intention of arguing with you futher. I've seen people try it, and it never leads to anything good.

Yup, PS3 is doing much better in Europe and holding its own in America but Japanese sales are bad in that not only the hardware sells less than the Wii on average weeks but it gets killed by it during good weeks (250k->70k ouch) and only can surpass it when doing price cuts/new models/really big games.

DMC is unlikely to help much (not big enough in Japan) in the long term and MGS, while bigger is not all that big either.

The PS3 really needs GT5 (the full one) and FFXIII in Japan as soon as possible or possibly WKS if it is a home run.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

@FilaBrasileiro,

And I don't think LBP will do good there, it's a western developed game.
so And iPOD. and Coke, and many other stuff. LBP is very creative and made by UK studio.
What the hell is SCEI doing? The only big games we've seen from them is HSG5 (Clap Hanz), Eye of Judgment and GT5P (PD), where's Ape Escape? Siren? Team ICO? Wild Arms? Develop a new RPG to get some interest on the PS3, anything.
TIME is needed for creating HD games.

@Parokki,
Half of your list is stuff Japan couldn't care less about, and the rest is on par with what the Gamecube had.
you kidding???
Killzone 2, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Grand Theft Auto 4 - THESE are ONLY 4 games, which not made by Japanese developers. What half? STOP being BLIND.
The rest 20 games are on pair with Camecube? In your DREAMS. These games appeal to MORE people, then just to zelda, mario and pokemon fans on GC, which are most SAME people.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

I still think the PS3 is holding its own in Japan, not the best but sales will increase over time.

@DOATS1.
The struggling consoles sales taper off with age, if you take holiday sales into account PS3 is below where the GC was at this point... the GC sold 4 million.

And I am getting tired of lists of games from you Crazzy, the only games that could have a decent effect are GT5 and FFXIII, and DMC but I don't really know what that is, I just hear it is popular in Japan.

So 2-3 games coming some time in the future will help PS3... well good for it as the Wii has 4-5 already [Wii series, SMG and MP8] and 2 more coming soon [SSBB and MK] And isn't Monster Hunter a Wii exclusive too.

The big problem is that much like the PSP, titles might do well for 2-3 weeks then completely fall off the charts. Sure the PSP has MHF2, but the vast majority of titles completely disappear quickly and the PS3 is following the exact same pattern.

The PS3 has *already* had a steller lineup- in Japan, for year#1 - and most of the titles bombed (at least compared to PS2 software sales).

These sales are really terrible (more so when compared to the dev costs) - the PS3 has now had TWO Christmas's already:

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=39460&console=PS3&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

Dynasty Warriors 5 - under 400k
Time Crisis 4 - under 40k
Gundam Musou - under 300k
Ninja Gaiden - under 100k
Ridge Racer 7- under 150k
FolksSoul - under 50k

Ouch.

I agree completely, that the Japanese market is the biggest challenge for the PS3. It seems to have gone completely casual, and its either handheld or casual console (Wii) games that are doing well now.

I predict that DMC4 will (relatively) bomb, as will MGS4 - once MGS4 (relatively) bombs, there is no going back.

At the same time, the current charts have 4 million sellers for the Wii - with WiiSpots approaching 3m - (almost) more sales than all the PS3 software titles in the charts added together.

*** Note - just noticed that the Wii has sold more software in Japan than the PSP has (at least that is tracked in the charts)!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@Crazzyman:

Likely sales:

Metal Gear Solid 4 (500k),
Killzone 2 + Resistance 2 (100k),
LittleBigPlanet (500k),
Gran Turismo 5 (750k),
Tekken 6 (300k),
Final Fantasy XIII (1.5m) + Final Fantasy XIII:versus (500k),