By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony having a difficult time getting third party support for the Vita

Scoobes said:
Sony's conference at Gamescom will be telling as to whether Sony will be able invigorate interest in Vita. It'd be interesting to revisit the topic after that.

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation and Black Ops: Declassified will be shown off. They migt announced some new releases as well or give updates to old titles. Or more trailers to existing titles like Playstation All-Stars and LittleBigPlanet PS Vita (yes, this is literally what it is called including the "PS").

Price cut anybody?

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Around the Network
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Scoobes said:
Sony's conference at Gamescom will be telling as to whether Sony will be able invigorate interest in Vita. It'd be interesting to revisit the topic after that.

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation and Black Ops: Declassified will be shown off. They migt announced some new releases as well or give updates to old titles. Or more trailers to existing titles like Playstation All-Stars and LittleBigPlanet PS Vita (yes, this is literally what it is called including the "PS").

Price cut anybody?

They'll need to have a few new surprises to announce. I'm not sure AC and Blops will be enough for the show or Vita.

Price cut would definitely help matters.

saicho said:
curl-6 said:
saicho said:
curl-6 said:
The 3DS had trouble getting started as well and is doing fine now.

Here's what will happen; sooner or later Monster Hunter will come to the platform, and when it does, everyone in Japan, along their dogs, their cats, and their unborn children will buy a Vita. There's no way Capcom will keep such a big franchise exclusive. It may not be MH4, but even Portable 4th or something will pretty much save the Vita single handedly.

Yes. 3DS had trouble getting started at the same price point but still sold more than 2X as many units in the same time period. That really put things in perspective eh.

Sooner is how soon and later is how late? would it matter when it comes in 2014 while 3DS already got MH4 by Spring 2013?

The Vita is having an even worse start than the 3DS, yeah, I just think it's far too early to write the system off; remember when the PS3 had an utterly miserable start and was predicted to be dead by 2010 by some?  Dramatic comebacks are possible. Quote me if you like, and I'll gladly eat crow if 2015 rolls around and the Vita's still a corpse.

A 2014 release for a Vita Monster Hunter would still give it an enormous boost in Japan. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Capcom throw MH4G or something on Vita.

Yup. And VITA is doing worse than that too. It took a tremandous effort and billions of dollars from Sony to reverse its fortune for PS3. It will take even more to revive VITA since it is doing worse than PS3 at the same time. 

A MH VITA in 2014 wouldn't do as much since there is another portable MH on the market already. The advantage of PSP being the only platform that has the portable MH game is gone.

I still think that MH's power in Japan is such that  a new MH game on Vita (Portable 4th of 4G most likely) would be enough to massively boost sales, even if there is an alternative. 3DS may have MH4, but if the Vita has an exclusive  MH game, people will buy a Vita for it in droves.

A pricecut and Assassin's Creed/COD should keep its sales healthy; a cut before the holidays could turn this corpse into a competitor.

curl-6 said:

I still think that MH's power in Japan is such that  a new MH game on Vita (Portable 4th of 4G most likely) would be enough to massively boost sales, even if there is an alternative. 3DS may have MH4, but if the Vita has an exclusive  MH game, people will buy a Vita for it in droves.

A pricecut and Assassin's Creed/COD should keep its sales healthy; a cut before the holidays could turn this corpse into a competitor.

I thought the Vita would get an MH game eventually and MHP4th sounded like a great candidate but I don't know if the Vita market is healthy enough to warrant Capcom putting out an AAA Monster Hunter game on the system.  If it where coming, it would have to come really soon, which it won't.  Also, it still wouldn't put it at any competitive advantage over the 3DS, since the 3DS would already have TWO full-fledge Monster Hunter games.  It would make Vita numbers respectable but then what would happen after?  Sony would have to release games to keep the momentum.  Considering they haven't released any games to build initial interest, that may be hard to do. 

Kenology said:
curl-6 said:

I thought the Vita would get an MH game eventually and MHP4th sounded like a great candidate but I don't know if the Vita market is healthy enough to warrant Capcom putting out an AAA Monster Hunter game on the system.  If it where coming, it would have to come really soon, which it won't.  Also, it still wouldn't put it at any competitive advantage over the 3DS, since the 3DS would already have TWO full-fledge Monster Hunter games.  It would make Vita numbers respectable but then what would happen after?  Sony would have to release games to keep the momentum.  Considering they haven't released any games to build initial interest, that may be hard to do. 

Yep, it's likely that when PSV user base will be large enough, Capcom will release an AAA MH title, but Sony can forget anything more than ports before then.

About PSV more in general: with the recent news of a very late 2012 Wii U launch, hasn't the opportunity risen for Sony to cut PSV price, launch PS3 "True Slim" and a PS3+PSV+Move bundle below $400 in September or October? I thought waiting until after Xmas before cutting PSV price, unless it became absolutely necessary to cut before, could be the best strategy, but now, after this news, I'm changing my mind, PSV sales are really low, while the opportunity for an early cut even if sales weren't so bad has increased. Obviously nothing must be done until at least 2 weeks after XL launch in USA and NSMB 2 in USA and Europe, they are huge and they'd make everything else pass unobserved. Adding 100% PSV SW compatibility (although with sticks replaced by touchscreen controls) to some smartphones could help too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

uf that sounds like... suicide to me
i think not many gamers would like to spend 400$ on anything if its not an Apple device ;)

The Vita has some great games coming for the holidays...but so does every other system on the market, so I don't really see too many people putting their money down for those games other than the few who already own a PS Vita. I fear that if AC and CoD do not have a relly big impact, other third parties with "lesser" IP's will not bother.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Chandler said:
The Vita has some great games coming for the holidays...but so does every other system on the market, so I don't really see too many people putting their money down for those games other than the few who already own a PS Vita. I fear that if AC and CoD do not have a relly big impact, other third parties with "lesser" IP's will not bother.

I don't think CoD or AC will do much for the Vita.  They will sell well to the existing base but they won't push much hardware at all.  You can play better versions of those games on your PS360 and Wii U this holiday for $60. I'm not convinced anyone is gonna buy a Vita + a copy of CoD/AC + a memory card for ~$350.  Vita needs handheld games that are unique for the system that can actually push.  They're on the right path with games like Gravity Rush.

I find myself rooting for the Vita because it's a great piece of hardware.  But it goes to show horsepower and state-of-the-art features mean NOTHING if there's no content.  Sony just never learns!  I feel like they thought they'd just get Monster Hunter in Japan and the rest of the 3rd party devs would come.  Didn't happen.  Now you see how weak their strategy was: designing the system around MH type games and FPS and not having much available from their own studios.  I'm not sold that Vita is doomed just yet...  I'm waiting to see how it'll do during the holiday.  Will be interesting to see.  :)

If anything, the fans should be worrying that Sony overly relying on 3rd parties, on 2 titles.

DieAppleDie said:
uf that sounds like... suicide to me
i think not many gamers would like to spend 400$ on anything if its not an Apple device ;)

Sad truth about Apple and prices, that's the reason why Sony should stay below that threshold. That would just be the top end of the whole offer, and for something between $350 and $400 (it depends on the price of PS3 and PSV sold separately when and if they'll do it) the buyer would receive a bundle with a feature set similar to Wii U when used together, but with the portable unit being a true portable console, usable in a totally separated way. Yes, it would be appealing only for those willing anyway to buy both PS3 and PSV, but the bundle offer could be useful to expand a little the potential user base at least for the period when PS3+PSV+Move would break the psychological barrier of $400 if purchased separately. The bundle, if released first, would also make Wii U appear less "new" and "innovative", so it would benefit PS3 image and help it fighting the competition of the earliest 8th gen console.
Finally, as long as PSV numbers are so low, even a few tens thousand more units sold would be a significant percent boost, and such bundle wouldn't imply additional dev costs to be made, just pack them together and bundle them with the PS3 game that uses the PSV as controller in the best way. In a difficult situation, even a little help is welcome.

Personally, I wouildn't ever spend more than $150 (and possibly less than $130) on a portable (I'd never spend more than that on a smartphone, either), but up until now PSV is the only one of which I like the controls and their layout, and the screen is excellent, with the right games I could consider buying one, but not in a near future.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!