By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony having a difficult time getting third party support for the Vita

Honestly I think Nintendo has both Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter locked up pretty tight for Japan.

The 3DS as far as Capcom is concerned is the successor to the PSP and DS, it's the only handheld that's relevant in Japan, and MH is not big in NA/Europe (not that Vita is exactly doing great there either).

I think for Japanese publishers they'd honestly rather just have one dominant platform. Having two divides audiences and I don't think many Japanese devs even want visual fidelity beyond the 3DS because it would raise development prices and cut into profit margins for handheld games. Handheld games in Japan generally go for 3800-4800 yen, versus 5800-7800+ yen for many console games ... keeping handheld dev costs low is a priority for sure as the profit margin is not as large. 

Around the Network
saicho said:
curl-6 said:
The 3DS had trouble getting started as well and is doing fine now.

Here's what will happen; sooner or later Monster Hunter will come to the platform, and when it does, everyone in Japan, along their dogs, their cats, and their unborn children will buy a Vita. There's no way Capcom will keep such a big franchise exclusive. It may not be MH4, but even Portable 4th or something will pretty much save the Vita single handedly.

Yes. 3DS had trouble getting started at the same price point but still sold more than 2X as many units in the same time period. That really put things in perspective eh.

Sooner is how soon and later is how late? would it matter when it comes in 2014 while 3DS already got MH4 by Spring 2013?

The Vita is having an even worse start than the 3DS, yeah, I just think it's far too early to write the system off; remember when the PS3 had an utterly miserable start and was predicted to be dead by 2010 by some?  Dramatic comebacks are possible. Quote me if you like, and I'll gladly eat crow if 2015 rolls around and the Vita's still a corpse.

A 2014 release for a Vita Monster Hunter would still give it an enormous boost in Japan. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Capcom throw MH4G or something on Vita.

@ curl-6

If sales dont drastically pick up Vita will be dead before 2014. Did you see the NPD numbers? Vita is looking like a corpse

BenVTrigger said:
@ curl-6

If sales dont drastically pick up Vita will be dead before 2014. Did you see the NPD numbers? Vita is looking like a corpse

Yeah, but it has Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, and COD before that. The latter could really change its fortunes if "COD on the go" takes off.
A price cut could also help, as it did for the 3DS.

It's not going to catch up to the 3DS or anything, but I'd be willing to bet that the Vita will be well and truly alive come 2014. How about this; if I'm wrong, I'll change my signature to an admittance of my wrongness for 6 months, and if I win you do the same? :P

I dont take bets especially as it would be cheating considering I see hard numbers daily

But I agree with you, I still hold that Vita can turn around my point was simply that Sony have to make it a huge priority now

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
I dont take bets especially as it would be cheating considering I see hard numbers daily

But I agree with you, I still hold that Vita can turn around my point was simply that Sony have to make it a huge priority now

They seem to be focusing on PS3, still. Someone needs to step up and give Nintendo some pressure so they don't slack off.

curl-6 said:
saicho said:
curl-6 said:
The 3DS had trouble getting started as well and is doing fine now.

Here's what will happen; sooner or later Monster Hunter will come to the platform, and when it does, everyone in Japan, along their dogs, their cats, and their unborn children will buy a Vita. There's no way Capcom will keep such a big franchise exclusive. It may not be MH4, but even Portable 4th or something will pretty much save the Vita single handedly.

Yes. 3DS had trouble getting started at the same price point but still sold more than 2X as many units in the same time period. That really put things in perspective eh.

Sooner is how soon and later is how late? would it matter when it comes in 2014 while 3DS already got MH4 by Spring 2013?

The Vita is having an even worse start than the 3DS, yeah, I just think it's far too early to write the system off; remember when the PS3 had an utterly miserable start and was predicted to be dead by 2010 by some?  Dramatic comebacks are possible. Quote me if you like, and I'll gladly eat crow if 2015 rolls around and the Vita's still a corpse.

A 2014 release for a Vita Monster Hunter would still give it an enormous boost in Japan. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Capcom throw MH4G or something on Vita.

Yup. And VITA is doing worse than that too. It took a tremandous effort and billions of dollars from Sony to reverse its fortune for PS3. It will take even more to revive VITA since it is doing worse than PS3 at the same time. 

A MH VITA in 2014 wouldn't do as much since there is another portable MH on the market already. The advantage of PSP being the only platform that has the portable MH game is gone.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

saicho said:

Yup. And VITA is doing worse than that too. It took a tremandous effort and billions of dollars from Sony to reverse its fortune for PS3. It will take even more to revive VITA since it is doing worse than PS3 at the same time. 

A MH VITA in 2014 wouldn't do as much since there is another portable MH on the market already. The advantage of PSP being the only platform that has the portable MH game is gone.

The PS3 made a massive loss at launch, and the R&D costs were massive. The Vita is just about breaking even or making a very small loss, and it's made up of largely "off the shelf" components, so the R&D costs for the Vita isn't even comparable. Another issue with the PS3 was it's stupidly expensive launch price, and while some say the Vita is a little too much for consumers to be grabbed by it, it's nothing like how the PS3 was. 

Software, bundling and marketing will get the Vita selling well, and it won't cost Sony billions and billions because they aren't losing much money on the system.

Sony needs to lower the price of the PSVita and release some new IP's for the PSVita. Stop porting your PS3 games down to the PSVita. Either make some new IP games or bring back some old favorite that people haven't see in years. That's the best thing Sony can do right now or they will be in trouble come the holidays.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Sony's conference at Gamescom will be telling as to whether Sony will be able invigorate interest in Vita. It'd be interesting to revisit the topic after that.