By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Disappointing 3DS XL sales in Europe

Soundwave said:

I think yeah I'd wait and see how it does with NSMB2, that said, I do tend to think the smart phone boom has really impacted Europe in a big, big way and that's going to constrict the sales of any gaming-only handheld device from here on out there.

Japan is a different beast from Europe/US because people in Japan use handhelds as their primary game console period, that really is not the case in the West.

If smartphone-boom is to blame for bad handheld sales, it's impact should be the same the week before the launch and the launch-week. But sales of 3DS without XL were stronger compared with Japan, than the launch-week of XL was (also compared ith Japan). That's what buggers me. So smartphone-boom only impacts sales of 3DS XL in Europe, not sales of normal 3DS?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

i think there are at least three factors that need to be accounted.

1) Summer is traditionally the weakest season for the EU market.

2) Europe is in a kind of economic recession right know. The UK market bobble has burst; Italy and Spain are facing the worst effects of the crisis and that leaves only france an germany as viable markets

3) No big game at launch. New Art Academy and Freakyforms will probably end up with good numbers, but they are long tail sellers, not hardware movers. NSMB2 and possibly Pokémon can't come soon enough

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

Europe has very different consumer behaviour. Usually slower adaptation and usually no shortage in stock. So no need to rush out first day and buy.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Add a power adapter PROBLEM SOLVED.  I really wonder how many parents will return the thing. I would...

For me the lack of a power adapter is a really greedy move by Nintendo.I mean we pay the most and the stupid adapter costs what to produce? 1 euro?

Same shit as in the old days with  "we wont give you good cables we give you composite ones buy the good ones  (that cost 1 dollar to produce) for 20 dollars please" or Sony's memory card fail with the Vita.

And there is no black or white models  (especially the White one is the one i want)

We only have childish  red/black   blue/black  and ugly silver/black.   No real black or white  :(

I dunno about Japan but 99% of the time me or my friends order online and as far as I know online numbers are not tracked?

I just got mine! Pikmin @ work right now.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network

Usually Europe has more of a 2-3 week effect. Japan gets a 1 week boost and decreases. Look at recent price cuts and remodels and you'll see what I mean. I would agree though, not really amazing numbers, but let's wait for NSMB, that should catch fire in EU, especially in France, Germany, and Netherlands

DarkCronos said:
i think there are at least three factors that need to be accounted.

1) Summer is traditionally the weakest season for the EU market.

2) Europe is in a kind of economic recession right know. The UK market bobble has burst; Italy and Spain are facing the worst effects of the crisis and that leaves only france an germany as viable markets

3) No big game at launch. New Art Academy and Freakyforms will probably end up with good numbers, but they are long tail sellers, not hardware movers. NSMB2 and possibly Pokémon can't come soon enough

And the week before the XL-launch there was no summer and no recession in Europe? I compared the relative grow in each eagion. Only point 3 is valid, but we talk about a grow of 453% against 155%. That's all NSMB2? So you expect the 3DS-sales in Europe to grow 300% in the week NSMB2 hits us?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Faxanadu said:
Europe has very different consumer behaviour. Usually slower adaptation and usually no shortage in stock. So no need to rush out first day and buy.

That may be a valid reason. So you expect sharp drops in sales in the next weeks in Japan, while Europe shows only small drops and basically maintains a higher level of sales over a long period?

JazzB1987 said:

Add a power adapter PROBLEM SOLVED.  I really wonder how many parents will return the thing. I would...

For me the lack of a power adapter is a really greedy move by Nintendo.I mean we pay the most and the stupid adapter costs what to produce? 1 euro?

Same shit as in the old days with  "we wont give you good cables we give you composite ones buy the good ones  (that cost 1 dollar to produce) for 20 dollars please" or Sony's memory card fail with the Vita.

And there is no black or white models  (especially the White one is the one i want)

We only have childish  red/black   blue/black  and ugly silver/black.   No real black or white  :(

I dunno about Japan but 99% of the time me or my friends order online and as far as I know online numbers are not tracked?

Japan also misses the power-adapter, if I'm right.

kopstudent89 said:
Usually Europe has more of a 2-3 week effect. Japan gets a 1 week boost and decreases. Look at recent price cuts and remodels and you'll see what I mean. I would agree though, not really amazing numbers, but let's wait for NSMB, that should catch fire in EU, especially in France, Germany, and Netherlands

Let's hope so. I'm thrilled to watch the sales in the next weeks.