By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Disappointing 3DS XL sales in Europe

every retailer i went to
had them sold out
if numbers are bad is Nintendos fault for undershipping

Around the Network

There's nothing disappointing about 3DS XL sales in Europe, just give it another week and check the numbers then. This is a pretty baseless thread.

Software sells hardware.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

anything is going to look bad compared to 3DS in Japan, but lets see how the full week numbers look

no no it's not Disappointing

wait and see

Around the Network

For only one day the sales are pretty decent. Let's see what they'll be next week and when Mario is released.

The advertisement here in The Netherlands is now really picking up. A couple of different games (both old and new) are advertised on TV and with them also the XL. Haven't been to a gamestore yet, so don't know what the situation is in stores.

always people talk about nintendo product!!!??

i thing nintendo sales 'r good (Glabal)

look at Vita sales 'r between old portable PSP & DS !! a really Disappointing for Vita

I predict , VITA to be a controller for PS3!! to gop out of war portable

Thanks for your responses. Some here claimed, that the response to the 3DS was not as good as in Japan, so it makes sense that the XL is more popular over there. But there is a critical point here: I was talking about relative number (percent), not absolute numbers. So even on the lower level of sales, that Europe had, it did a waaayy smaller relative increase than the increase in sales in Japan. So the gap even growed.

To make this clearer: In the week ending 21 July, the sales in Europe were 28,118, in Japan it was 43,291. So the sales in Europe were 65% of what was sold in Japan. The week ending 28th July (XL-release) the numbers were 71,708 in Europe and 239,273 in Japan. So in Europe was only sold 30% of what was sold in Japan. The discrepancy got even worse.

Same thing with smaller game-library in Europe, as Rol pointed out. That explains the lower level of sales. But why is the relative interest in the new model so much smaller than in Japan.

A more valid point is, that Japan had a day more of sales. That may account for a part. But as first-day-sales are often very important, I don't believe it explains the whole discrepancy.

Also the parallel launch of NSMB2 in Japan was pointed out. That's seems plausible. The game-release-boost and the new-model-boost got combined in Japan. If that's the case, we should see a good effect on sales, if NSMB2 comes to Europe.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think yeah I'd wait and see how it does with NSMB2, that said, I do tend to think the smart phone boom has really impacted Europe in a big, big way and that's going to constrict the sales of any gaming-only handheld device from here on out there.

Japan is a different beast from Europe/US because people in Japan use handhelds as their primary game console period, that really is not the case in the West.

NSMB2 will increase hardware sales a lot in Europe. But also, Europe is really, really soft right now. Software sales across the board are just terrible over there. Next-gen is desperately needed.